Pro Wrestling Only

WCW ongoing thread

ohtani's jacket

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sting vs Hogan at Superbrawl 98 was something else. They have Sting win the title at Sold out, get stripped of it on the first Thunder then win it back at Superbrawl thanks to Randy Savage. I remember Savage and Hogan having problems but I don't remember Savage siding with Sting? Was this around the time that Bischoff thought Savage might jump to WWF? Nick Patrick screwing over Hogan at the end was funny though.

WCW had so many hours of TV at that point that he had to be announcing something. I wonder if he announced on any of those right after that show. Dusty Rhodes NWO hypeman sounds pretty great.

He might have still been on Saturday Night at that point. I don't totally remember though. I know they started phasing him out of the television around the time he joined the nWo.

WCW had so many hours of TV at that point that he had to be announcing something. I wonder if he announced on any of those right after that show. Dusty Rhodes NWO hypeman sounds pretty great.

He might have still been on Saturday Night at that point. I don't totally remember though. I know they started phasing him out of the television around the time he joined the nWo.

He was announcing Saturday Night but just after Souled Out and the heel turn he was off and replaced by Scott Hudson & Mike Tenay.

Sting vs Hogan at Superbrawl 98 was something else. They have Sting win the title at Sold out, get stripped of it on the first Thunder then win it back at Superbrawl thanks to Randy Savage. I remember Savage and Hogan having problems but I don't remember Savage siding with Sting?

He didn't side with Sting, but he was basically an outcast in the nWo after an altercation with Bischoff, and was beaten down on Nitro after a match with Hogan. On the same card he got beat by Luger and Hogan prevented the nWo guys from helping him, so as a receit he fucked Hogan in the title match. Savage was kind of a tweener than would eventually turn babyface with Nash in nWo Wölfpack a few months down the road.

Watching the end of the cage match from Uncensored 98 and man was that a awful finish. Disciple enters the cage and then Sting comes from the rafters to save Savage. Then Savage turns on Sting and piledrives him. Savage spits on Hogan and leaves while Hogan and Disciple just stand around like fools. What a shitty was to end a ppv. Wouldn't Savage have won since he left the cage first? And did WCW ever acknowledge Disciple was the Booty Man/Zodiac/Butcher/Beefcake?

Rotundo came back with the immensely successful Varsity Club redux though, complete with Kimona jumping on a trampoline in a cheerleader outift.

I was a big backer of Varsity Club 2.0 much to the annoyance of my friends. I'm guessing their feud with the Harris brothers doesn't hold up.

Rewatching the Death of WCW set and I"m up to Sold out 1998. Why exactly did Dusty Rhodes join the NWO? I heard it was to keep an eye on Scott Hall but it's just weird. Couldn't they have let Virgil do that?

From what I remember as I watched WCW 1998 some time ago, it was really all about "swerve", and no good reason was ever given, and really nothing came out of it. One of the most illogical and worthless nWo turn of the bunch, but they thought they that had to keep the angle "fresh" with new people at this point.

Yeah that was the real reason obviously. On screen Dusty briefly said he was sick of the "Yes men in the back."

And he was back out of the nWo by the end of the year anyway after IIRC screwing Barry Windham (was he in the nWo or not? Or was it a weird Bret Hart associate member thing?) in a match against Dean Malenko that he refereed because "DUSTY RHODES STANDS FOR TRADITION!" as Schiavone reminded us all.

Rotundo came back with the immensely successful Varsity Club redux though, complete with Kimona jumping on a trampoline in a cheerleader outift.

I was a big backer of Varsity Club 2.0 much to the annoyance of my friends. I'm guessing their feud with the Harris brothers doesn't hold up.

I lost my shit for the Varsity Club comeback. Best thing was Kevin Sullivan no selling Asya and knocking the piss out of her.

Because I remember enjoying some PPV's a lot, I was under the false assumption that the first half of 1994 in WCW was really good. Infact, the TV is quite boring, with nothing happening on the undercard, and a really unimaginative, uninteresting booking all over the map. Not much in term of good match either, although it's not as bad as the horrible mid-1993 period. What I didn't realize is that Hogan was already the clear focus of the promotion in a way, his interviews from the Thunder in Paradise shooting being sold as the highlights of the shows. Austin has quickly been put back in the undercard by Flair, just like Pillman who ends up even lower, and old feuds are revitalized on top : Flair vs Steamboat, Sting vs Rude. Then you've got Dustin Rhodes wasted in a feud with Bunkhouse Buck, which showed me nothing in SMW the year prior, and whose gimmick sucks. I'm really not a fan of Col Parker character, the only thing I enjoyed from him was the Chicken suit angle. Paul Orndroff who I enjoyed a lot in SMW and most of his first year in WCW finally shows sign of slowing down, not working as hard anymore, although he's still decent. Not feeling his team with Roma will deliver much of anything after a promising debut.

Another thing, was Gene Okerlund that annoying in WWF too ? It's been so long I've watched old WWF I can't remember if he was always that way or just became an annoying prick in WCW. The new format of the Main Event hosted by Gene & Heenan just doesn't work for me.

Anyway, SMW TV murders WCW TV at this point.

I enjoyed them last time I watched them, but still Dustin gone from feuding with Rick Rude and Steve Austin to feud with Jimmy Golden doing a gimmicky redneck brawler just doesn't carry a sense of going forward.

Meanwhile, Steve Austin is preparing for his match with the Great Muta (wait, what ? they got Pillman away from him for this ?) by facing "japanese" wrestlers each weeks on TV. First week, Braddy Boone doing a Battle Kat gimmick, second week, Pat Tanaka (who else but Pat Tanaka ?), don't tell me, I'm betting the third week will be Paul Diamond under a hood... Col Parker is deadweight behind Austin.

The more I watch week to week TV booked by Flair, the more Shane Douglas's speech about him seems right to me. Dusty wanted to push Austin & Dustin to the top. Made sense (not pushing Pillman didn't, but 2/3 isn't that bad). Flair only pushed himself against his friends building toward Hogan. Austin was doomed way before he jobbed to Hacksaw Duggan.

Anyone remembers Bad Attitude ? Me neither. Steve Keirn at 42 looked older than dirt. He looked better in the Skinner gimmick than with this embarrassing Fabulous Ones look.

On the more positive side, Paul Diamond is doing the masked japanese gimmick (Haito instead of Kato, how creative), and he's looking damn good. This guy should have gotten more work in the 90's, he was still pretty good in ECW in 97. Seems like we're getting some sort of Orient Express reunion, which is cool.

(TV gets a bit better as they're closing on Spring Stampede, mostly because they actually make some effort to build Flair vs Steamboat now, but the undercard clearly isn't well structured at all. Pillman playing stereotypical patriotic babyface against Regal is disheartning, he was so much fun as a Hollywood Blonde)

Anyone remembers Bad Attitude ? Me neither. Steve Keirn at 42 looked older than dirt. He looked better in the Skinner gimmick than with this embarrassing Fabulous Ones look.

Yeah, Steve Keirn wearing a golden sequined tux while resembling my grandfather wasn't great, but I suppose it gave Bobby Eaton something to do for a month or two. I don't remember much of them quality wise, how much cop were they as a team?

Dustin's feuds with Rude and Austin were awful. His feud with Bunkhouse Bunk is one of the best feuds in WCW history.

They were disapointing because Rude was shot and the Austin one was poorly booked (with the ridiculous match at Starrcade which was cut off just as it was getting really good), but as far as standing goes, it was much bigger than Dustin being beat up by Bunckhouse using Erik Watts trophy that was stollen by Slazenger/Pierce.... I remember enjoying the Dustin vs Buck matches in the past, but watching Golden in SMW really dropped his stock with me and I fear it won't hold up. I never cared for the Buck gimmick anyway. I know it will eventually culminate in the War Games match which I used to love, but it's another one I'm really curious to rewatch in context as the Nasties have been pretty unwatchable thus far, way worse than I remembered them to be around that time.