Pro Wrestling Only

WCW ongoing thread

ohtani's jacket

Remember that ELP didn't grow up speaking English, so it's not surprising that he'd occasionally miss a few nuances regarding the implications of certain vocabulary.

That is true, but I take full responsability on this one. I know I was using a rather "offensive" word. I wouldn't put it in the same class of offensive as "faggot" or "nigger" myself, neither in English nor their French equivalents, not even close.

We still don't really have any firm cultural consensus on whether "retarded" is a slur or not, and it's really only in the past decade that "retard" has become taboo. Words go in and out of style, and change meanings; "fag" and "faggot" have had at least half a dozen completely different definitions, and "nigger" is basically just a mumbled corruption of the Latin word which literally means "black man". Standards change, and don't be too hard on Frenchy if he wasn't aware of it.

It's not that I was not aware of it, although I don't think so. I think there's also a cultural gap of sorts and although our (in France, and Europe in general) society are becoming more and more politically correct, it's still not as bad as it is in the US. And yes, I consider it bad because at some point, you can't say anything anymore. I always thought the use of "african-american" to be stupid as hell for instance. But hey, that's another debate.

Like I said the first time I replied, I will not use the term in that context anymore so to not offend anyone. Case closed.

(as far as Asya goes, of course I understand the point, but I still found it ironic that in the course of two post the same guy was saying it was cool to see a woman get slapped around, basically, yet asked for more political correctness on my part. Doesn't matter if Asya was a shitty worker who didn't sell, really, the irony was in the two successive sentences)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even like Kane!

It's just that everyone else uses hyberbole and some of you even mean it! Everytime someone goes "Kane's never had a good match," I'll point to that. Demolition I will defend in the specific way I always do.

Anyway I'm best typecast as a poor man's structural extremist version of Dylan.

..............I'd just like to say that I loved Evad back in 1995, still have fond memories of his C show arm wrestling feud with DDP over Kimberly, The Rabbit & The Piggy Bank and I used to still sing "I want to be a Hulkamaniac" around the house ocasionally....it was a catchy tune....

..............I'd just like to say that I loved Evad back in 1995, still have fond memories of his C show arm wrestling feud with DDP over Kimberly, The Rabbit & The Piggy Bank and I used to still sing "I want to be a Hulkamaniac" around the house ocasionally....it was a catchy tune....

I figure I will enjoy Evad vs DDP to a point, because I'm a DDP fan, and he's at his best when working with inferior/lazy workers, as his overachievness tendencies pushes him to drag a load beyond their usual capacities. Well, we're talking about the Equalizer, but still. Plus having him on a low/mid card feud just wouldn't be as infuriating as when he's interacting with Flair to build the biggest match in WCW history. He's still the worst thing thus far in 1994 (although Da Butcher is getting close).

Well, I'll take a break after completing 1994, I think I'll need one despite all the FF. :) But yeah, I feel like the most fun part of WCW in 1995 will be on the B and C shows. For instance, I just saw a pretty cool Dustin Rhodes vs Jean Paul Levesque from Pro, called by Gordon Solie, Dusty & Zbyszko. Solie calling a HHH match is pretty surreal. Funny to think it would be a WrestleMania match a few years later. Levesque really showed potential, but he also butchered a flying knee like I've rarely seen. Good little match though for someone who was still green (and he already was doing the Pedigree in squashes too).

I figure I will enjoy Evad vs DDP to a point, because I'm a DDP fan, and he's at his best when working with inferior/lazy workers, as his overachievness tendencies pushes him to drag a load beyond their usual capacities. Well, we're talking about the Equalizer, but still. Plus having him on a low/mid card feud just wouldn't be as infuriating as when he's interacting with Flair to build the biggest match in WCW history. He's still the worst thing thus far in 1994 (although Da Butcher is getting close).

What's funny is most of the feud or atleast the setup doesn't involve them wrestling each other. There's a stretch of time that, in my mind atleast feels like months whear DDP only appeared on Pro/Worldwide (forget which), no other shows and the only thing he'd get to do each week was arm wrestle jobbers with Evad finally being the big pay off.

Even at the time, being a know nothing, accept everything youngster I thought it was really odd. Looking back now & trying to take an educated guess i'd assume maybe DDP was injured or something but not sure as I never have heard the story behind that period of his career & always did wonder WTF was going on.

I forget Jerome, did you ever see Stars n Stripes v. Arn/Vader?

Nope. On which B-shows was that ? Sounds pretty good on paper. Although I must say I've been pretty disapointed with S&S, not that I excepted them to be great or anything, but The Patriot seems to be not nearly as good as I remembered him to be. Maybe he got better in 1997. To me Bagwell clearly carried the team. Their matches with Pretty Wonderful rarely goes above decent, and most have a bizarre finish with kinda fluke pins.

On the other hand, Paul Roma is doing the best work of his career a this point. It took a while for him and Orndorff to really get into a groove, and they are more a fun team rather than a very good one, but I enjoy Roma more than I ever did at this point.

Okay. So I guess it's on its way.

Savage finally shows up. Sting is not even Hogan's first bitch now. The Franchise of WCW must be so sad. No wonder he fall into Flair's arms again at the end of 1995, he needed some old-school WCW comfort.

The one thing positive I can get from Hogan's reign of terror was John Tenta getting a push as a monster again. I always enjoyed Tenta's work, and thus far he doesn't disapoint at all. It's fun to see the contrast with Vader, as they really are the polar opposite in term of how they play the role (some may argue that Tenta could actually play the montain of a man part better, as Vader was always overbumping a tad too much in that respect, but this comes from his über workrate approach he got from Japan).