Pro Wrestling Only

WCW ongoing thread

ohtani's jacket

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate it as much as Liger pinning people with slaps.

Blasphemy. Liger slapping people is the greatest thing in pro-wrestling. I should watch that instead.

Resulting in pinfall victories?

I'm not a huge fan of that finish, but it's not even my least favorite Liger finish. That would be reserved for the Thesz press thing he uses a lot nowadays which isn't always awful but is even more anti-climactic than a palm strike.

Also Mitch Snow pinning people in the AWA with a hiptoss week after week was ri-fucking-diculous

Any suplex double pin is utterly retarded.

Similarly, when a guy is counted down when applying a submission (be it figure-four or surfboard or whatever). How is that a cover by the other guy? At worst it should be a 10-count.

I always liked these when done well. I never had a problem with these as an analogue to the "sport" of professional wrestling. An own goal counts, why wouldn't a self pin?

Are we talking about the shotei or an actual slap? Wasn't Bas knocking guys out with palm strikes in Pancrase (presumably where he picked it up)? I don't see how the shotei is any different than Misawa's elbow.

Yes, the shotei. Because it's an open-handed slap. Doesn't bother me in the course of a match. Don't care for it as a finish.

Like Mike said. Anyone doing a German suplex into a pin bridges on their neck and keeps their shoulders off the mat. When a double pin is called for they suddenly don't. It'd be one thing if the guy taking the move forces and holds them onto their shoulders and stops them doing the bridge. Of course, that only makes you ask yourself why they didn't have the awareness or capability to get their own shoulders up. The "double pin" really only works in a cradle where both people can feasibly be trapping the other and trying to escape (unsuccessfully).

As for the "own goal" element of it, they have that with moves backfiring (it's the most common transition in wrestling).

Finally, if the shotei is a legit KO strike in martial arts, how is it a weak finish?

Eh, different strokes I guess; of all the moves in wrestling capable of knocking a guy out for three seconds, a shotei is easilly in the bottom half of any "worst finishers" list for me. It doesn't need a huge bump from Ohtani for me to buy that it could knock someone out cold. They're much more devastating than a punch (which're illegal anyway ;)).

A shotei or a punch really are more "realistic" than 99% other wrestling moves.

Precisely why it sucks. Wrestling isn't better when it's more "real".

Who said it was ? But I just don't see what the problem is with it being a finisher. I'd rather have this as a finisher than say, a fucking legdrop.

So, Jerry lawler using 169 punches in one match is great, but a short stocky japanese guy in a demon superhero costume slapping people around isn't ? Come on...

Not really. Liger should have better finishers than Johnny B. Badd.

Strikes are part of all wrestling matches. You are creating a false equivalency between using a knockout finish and using punches during wrestling matches. I said multiple times that Liger using it as a transition move doesn't bother me.

And yes, I'd say the same thing about the heart punch.

Not really. Liger should have better finishers than Johnny B. Badd.

Strikes are part of all wrestling matches. You are creating a false equivalency between using a knockout finish and using punches during wrestling matches. I said multiple times that Liger using it as a transition move doesn't bother me.

Lawler using a thousand punches bothers me. Liger using a shotei as a finisher doesn't. Once it's accepted as a finisher and looks good, everything can be a good finisher. It's all about perception. Plus it's Japan where a lariat has been a finisher for years, which would be unthinkable in the States. Really don't have a problem with it.

Funny fact, I just watched a squash match from Dan Spivey from WCW TV in 89. He used three powerbombs in a row. Not one. Three. The announcers had no name for it. They didn't sell it like it was immediate death. And it wasn't the finisher of the match, which ended up being a weak side slam a la-Big Bossman. Surrealistic.

And yes, I'd say the same thing about the heart punch.

The heart punch sucks. It's neither realistic nor cool looking nor brutal looking nor anything, it usually looks like shit and is used mostly by supremely shitty wrestlers.

The lariat has been used as a finisher in the U.S. and it's been relatively accepted. JBL is the most recent example. The clothesline is a spectacular enough wrestling move that I have no problem with it. I agree with the general premise that if you protect something, you can get it over as a finisher, but that seems like a finisher you'd give someone who can't do anything else. Liger is capable of much better.

The shotei palm thrust is a very good finisher. I've been sold on it ever since the legendary Lyger vs Ohtani match from March of 96.

And speaking of Bas Rutten, he single handidly sold me on strikes to the kidneys. Now whenever I watch a wrestling match all I can think of is how lethal blows to the stomach area are.