Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-04-30-AAA-Triplemania] Konnan vs Cien Caras (Loser Must Retire)

Loss

• 1 month later...

Yes, the match sucks, but the surrounding hoopla is so ridiculously over the top that I really don't care. Yes, Jake Roberts beats up Mascarita Sagrada while wearing a stonewash denim jacket from Hard Rock Cafe. Yes, they play "Danny Boy" after Konnan loses the match (actually not, but it sounds close enough to "Danny Boy" that I'll just ask you to work with me). And it does set up a big triangle match later on the set. So it's here and it should be here.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Pretty historic match, but not actually good. Konnan finishes off the first fall with one of the weakest-looking rollups ever, which is only exacerbated by the slomo replay. Caras takes advantage of a Jake the Snake distraction to open the second fall and wins that in short order. Another match that illustrates why it's sometimes completely pointless to have 2/3 fall matches. Jake is apparently upset with Caras for not properly following up when he has Konnan down and attacks him. Konnan selflessly makes the save for Caras, but in the process of brawling with Jake he gets counted out. Konnan's career is over--Match of the Year! Match of the Decade candidate!

Yeah, this was a mess, but kind of a fun mess. Jake was as good as ever acting as ringside nuisance and clobbering everyone, including Mascarita Sagrada. This crowd is legitimately stunned and horrified at the result.

• 1 year later...

Funky costume for Konnan, who's jawing with Jake Roberts at ringside. Caras throwing knees off the ropes. Konnan wins first fall on a roll up with a weird count by Tirantes. Always get a dual cam on Jake which suggests he's playing into the finish. Caras wins second fall quickly with a weak roll up. They spill outside, where Jake throws Mascarita Sagrada into the ring, and then Caras sticks up for him and gets into it with Jake. Konnan then starts slugging with Jake, and subsequently loses by countout. Wrestling pretty weak, but its really just an angle. Didn't come off anywhere near as hot as when I read about it years back.

• 2 months later...

Kind of an interesting dynamic with Roberts screwing with Konnan but also not getting along with Caras. That being said, we just saw this type of thing in SMW and that felt executed a lot better in my eyes than what happened here. The action in between all of that was not very good at all. This is mainly here for historical significance and the shock of Konnan losing to the crowd. **

• 1 year later...

This was the Jake Roberts show, plain and simple. Even though he's in a foreign country, he's still scary and twisted enough to turn what should be an epic match between two old rivals completely on its ear by his mere presence. Konnan wasn't on his game from the start because of it, and Caras was enough of an opportunist to take advantage. The actual match didn't just take a backseat, it curled up in the trunk and took a nap.

We'll probably never know this, but from what I know of Jake and Caras, it wouldn't surprise me if their fight was a ruse to draw Konnan outside the ring. Of course, with Jake being who he is, it also wouldn't surprise me if he beat the hell out of both Caras and Mascarita Sagrada just because they were there.

Jake looked a lot better beating up Sagrada than Bundy did squashing Little Beaver at Mania III. I have nothing against Sagrada, but I'd have loved to see Jake DDT him just to put the topper on this whole package.

I don't care much about the retirement stip being enforced, because I'd love to see Konnan get his hands on Jake. For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing Caras get a piece of Jake if they weren't co-conspirators in what we saw here.

• 5 months later...

After two decades of hearing how awful and historic this match was, I found it actually disappointing in that's in rather a nothing match with a completely bullshit finish. And a stip that wasn't enforced. So ok, Konnan was already an horrid worker in 1993. He's wearing a Warrior-circa 92 singlet, or is it a proto-RVD singlet ? Anyway, he's awful as he's always been it seems. Cien Caras looks at least solid at points. First pinfall looks like shit because Konnan can't even execute his own spot. Second fall is idiotic. Third fall... count-out ? Really ? Were the people horrified because Konnan lost or because the match ended on a complete bullshit finish ? I have no earthly idea what the mexican audience saw in Konnan. None. At least I've learned why he's called Konnan. El Barbario. Ooooooh. So that's where this goofy name came from. I had no idea. Ok. Jake Roberts makes faces. Not exactly thrilling, although he looks devious like Bray Wyatt wishes he could look.

It's crazy to think this drew almost 50..000 people (or what that the terrific Perro Aguayo vs Mascara Annos 2000 bloody brawl that came before ?) while WWF and WCW drew flies in the US at the same point. So I guess that's true, Konnan was a big star in Mexico. Why ? Again, I have no idea. At least Vamp looked cool and freaky. Konnan was basically a gringo from Puerto Rico with goofy hair and zero ability.

Also, if he lost a career match in April of 1993, why were we subjected to more than a decade of awful matches, stupid videos and calling for his dawgs (where they at anyway ?) ?

• GSR changed the title to [1993-04-30-AAA-Triplemania] Konnan vs Cien Caras (Loser Must Retire)
  • 2 years later...

God bless the balls on Peña. He packed in 50 thousand for this main event and went full on "story over match mode" and some of the crowd still bawled over Konnan losing via count out. The match was very short. The falls were sudden and roughly executed - the first one in particular - and the finish in a retirement match ended with a count out victory as one of wrestlers, Konnan was busy fighting with Jake Roberts. It's kinda insane. They get to this all time big main event and the match story is “I'm thrown off by the new guy at ringside”and it still works in a way. The camera cuts to people crying that Konnan has to retire after being counted out. Magic. The match wasn't good though. **1/4