Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-31-ECW-TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert

Loss

• 3 months later...

I still enjoy seeing Gilbert matches, but I groan a little when I see Gilbert promos because I know they're going to go long and feel like kind of an ego wank. He's a good talker and I'm glad it's on the set, but the reason I'm glad it's on because it shows how overdone his push was in Philly at this point.

I still enjoy seeing Gilbert matches, but I groan a little when I see Gilbert promos because I know they're going to go long and feel like kind of an ego wank. He's a good talker and I'm glad it's on the set, but the reason I'm glad it's on because it shows how overdone his push was in Philly at this point.

Funny, my opinion of Gilbert is the exact opposite most of the time. Like his promos, don't care much about his matches.

Maybe it was one of those things he felt like he had to do, since Philly fans were naturally going to cheer him? Maybe the only way he felt like he could get over would be to take up TV time and make fans sick of him so that somebody would take the King of Philadelphia thing from him? Just playing devil's advocate here - I haven't seen the footage (though I'd like to get in on these yearbooks since they sound great).

Gilbert is a great interview. Gilbert in ECW was overexposed, pushed himself too hard, and did a lot of pointless stuff with the King of Philly gimmick.

Agreed it was pointless, but Eddie Gilbert goofying around Philly was more entertaining than Gilbert in the ring to me. I'm still waiting for my Eddie Gilbert epiphany, hasn't happened yet. Not after watching his ECW stuff, not after watching his 80's Memphis stuff. I like the guy, but I don't get why he's revered as much as he is. Great promo. So-so worker thus far. I want to like him more. I just can't find the matches.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stan Hansen & Tito Santana vs. Don Muraco & Shane Douglas! Wow, is that ever a match-up of odd couples. Gilbert is here again making a nuisance of himself, but wins Sulli over with a bottle of Crown Royal. Gilbert blithers, and blithers, and blithers. He occasionally drifts toward the topic of actual wrestling matches, but this is as bad of an egofuck as any overindulgent NWO promo. Then some more annoying bullshit involving a phone and Gilbert going on a date with 6 women or something. Oh, it's the families of Gordon, Artese, and Sulli--hilarious. I want one of those Monty Python 16-ton weights to drop on Gilbert at this point.

• 1 year later...

I am so ready for this ECW split to be done and us to be rid of Gilbert in ECW. This is awful timing for someone I have really enjoyed as this whole era has left a black mark on Gilbert's overall career for me and I still contend it is the most unbearable stuff in US wrestling in 1993.

• 1 year later...

I think I know what ECW was trying for here: their own version of ​Prime Time ​with Sulli as Gino and Eddie as Heenan. But there were two small problems. First, Eddie's not one bit funny. Second, Sulli looks and sounds like he legitimately wants to hit him, or at least walk off the show. I don't think that every bit of every wrestling show should be constant hype or salesmanship; there's room for the announcers to be funny or clever just because. But they better deliver, and these two certainly didn't.

One example: The best part of this sequence was Eddie describing the finish of a match the week before involving him and Doug (as the Dark Patriot) in his own words. Sulli disputes Eddie's account, which leads Eddie to suggest that he be tested for drunkenness before each show. Okay, we've all heard better and worse. The problem is, Eddie had just presented Sulli with a bottle of Crown Royal not three minutes before. You give your co-host whiskey, then turn around and call him a drunk? In what universe does that even begin to make sense?

The rest of this, from the six women and the prank with the ringing phones to the Beavis and Butthead T-shirt and the half-baked JFK imitation, were just signs if Eddie trying too hard to be cute, and the Lawler stuff sounded petty, especially if you know the history between them. You have your own kingdom, Eddie. Why are you worried about someone else's, especially when that someone else isn't coming near you or ECW any time soon? And why pick on Lawler exclusively? The last time I checked, Bret Hart was just as "fake" a king as Lawler was.

Some of the matches sound good, and I'd have paid money to see Stan and Tito as a tag team, or Shane and Muraco, for that matter.

Nice to know that Sulli's got the date for UltraClash right after messing it up the week before. Why would they let mistakes like that be broadcast instead of reminding him of the proper date and doing the part he messed up over? I get that they were pretty much a one-city promotion at the time, but stuff like this shows a distinct lack of pride in their product.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-31-ECW-TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert