Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-03-07-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Ric Flair & Mr Perfect

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Gene Okerlund decides to get to the bottom of what Flair and Perfect say they know about Savage. Flair's sweater has to be seen to be believed. Flair pulls out the new WWF Magazine. Flair says Liz knows that not only is Flair the greatest wrestler alive, but he's also the greatest lover. They show pictures of Liz feeding Flair strawberries and Flair says "She was mine before she was yours". Flair says Liz is damaged goods and the only reason she is at Randy's side is because Flair dumped her! Pretty famous angle, and one that Flair is very obviously enjoying.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I had that magazine. Ric Flair: early Photoshop expert.

Ah, back when 'shopping photos took a huge amount of effort. I also had the follow-up that "exposed" the photos as fakes (Liz and Flair were watching TNT on television, but with '90s Coliseum Videos on the wall).

Flair is in street clothes, and Perfect has traded his track clothes for a suit, thank goodness. This, the locker room "Wall of Fame" photos, and Flair's subdued arrogance make this the most Flair-like of all WWF Flair promos so far.

• 6 months later...

Okerlund is one of the best at interview segments. Him and Flair are both on top of their game, with Perfect cackling in the background. I distinctly remember these WWF Magazines with the doctored photos, including a followup issue that had the original pictures of Savage next to the 'shopped Flair ones.

• 1 year later...

This is in my top five Flair promos of all time. I loved the fact that he played it cool; his smugness and sleaziness were absolutely off the charts, and it made what he was saying more believable. Compare this angle to the Jimmy Garvin/Precious angle from '87, where he sounded like a fugitive from the loony bin, screaming and slobbering all over a stupid mannequin. It seems like he learned his lesson from that one.

The best part of this is, even if nothing "happened" (which of course it didn't), it's an excellent mind game to play with a jealous maniac like Savage: Let him sit up nights becoming paranoid over his woman instead of focusing on winning back the title and take advantage of the man when he's far from his best mentally and physically. After seeing Flair as the desperate quarry for so long in WCW, it's nice to see him finally play some of the mind games that he's supposedly had up his sleeve all along. Curt doesn't add much to this, but he doesn't need to. Of course, Gene elects himself the head of the moral police, which is exactly what you'd expect from him and what the piece needed. He doesn't overact, though, allowing Flair to have his moment in all its sleazy glory.

Before I forget, kudos to Savage for doing this angle right on the heels of the Jake feud, where Liz was both emotionally and physically terrorized. I couldn't have blamed either one of them if they'd said that Liz was done, that she wasn't going to be a party to yet another angle where Randy's opponent was so fixated on her. But she was the trooper one more time, although I'm wondering if having two such intense angles involving her back-to-back was one reason why she left for good right after Mania VIII.

I can't wait to see how this one plays out over the road to Mania!

• 2 years later...

I thought Perfect stayed out of the way really well here. He did enough to make you remember he was there, but not so much that he took away from Flair. Okerlund did a great job as the upstanding citizen interviewer. Flair really knocked it out of the park. He kept from going over the top but still had this sense of joy to him. He really looked like a guy who was enjoying rubbing this in Savage's face.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-03-07-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Ric Flair & Mr Perfect