Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-04-04-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Ric Flair & Mr Perfect

Loss

• 1 month later...

Flair is finally in a suit and getting off a jet and is finally Flair, talking about riding Space Mountain, limousines, etc. The best of all of these. In the ultimate bait and switch, Flair and Perfect promise to unveil a Liz centerfold at Wrestlemania.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought the limo would run over Mene Gene but it doesn't happen. Great Flair being Flair promo. I know they didn't really have video trons back in the day but it could have been a good way for Flair to keep the title by having pictures shown up on screen and then getting a roll up on a distracted Savage.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The perfect (no pun intended) ending to the buildup for Mania. We get the first reference to Space Mountain in the WWF, and as previously mentioned, Flair breaks out one of his designer suits for the occasion. Nothing new is mentioned except for the centerfold, but Flair continues to be every inch the cool, cocky champion his biggest fans have always thought he was, no matter how he was actually portrayed.

As I said in an earlier thread, you would have thought that Vince would have depicted him as a borderline maniac and Crockett/Turner would have depicted him as a cool customer, but so far it's been the exact opposite. In fact, I could have made a case that this was Flair's best six-month run in at least five years (yes, including Funk and Steamboat in '89) if only he hadn't been made to look like such a fool in the Hogan "feud".

I'm wondering if Randy and Liz might have had the centerfold idea killed, seeing as how Liz wasn't going to be around anymore after Mania (at least in the U.S.). It makes no sense to base the after-Mania rematches on Randy getting satisfaction for someone who won't be on screen anymore, so what good would it do to keep the Liz portion of the feud alive? Even if she'd planned to come back at some point, she'd had a pretty hard last eight months going back to the cobra at SummerSlam and deserved a rest, both onscreen and in real life.

I can't wait to see the match again now that I've seen the buildup. I just hope it lives up to the hype!

• GSR changed the title to [1992-04-04-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Ric Flair & Mr Perfect
  • 1 year later...