Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-05-16-WCW-Worldwide] Interview: Ricky Steamboat

Loss

• 1 month later...

Ricky Steamboat is here to respond to all these allegations. Seriously, WHERE IS THE WAR GAMES BUILD UP?

Steamboat is still healing from a broken nose at the hands of Rude. I understand what they were trying to do to enhance Steamboat/Rude, which was the hottest program in the company, but they almost drowned it in the extracurricular stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Actually, we got a WrestleWar mention at the very start, as Tony welcomed Ricky in for an interview "on this WrestleWar weekend".

This was pretty good, as Steamer says that he had to explain to Richie about the nature of his injury, but now Bonnie's mad at him over the stalker stuff. I thought the first part was a nice touch, but as I've said before, either Bonnie has to come on camera or not be mentioned at all, and it doesn't look like she's coming on camera. Maybe if she wasn't such a big part of his family man image, I'd be okay with this, but we saw her at ringside all over the place during his '89 run, so why not use her now if she's willing?

I don't think being a stalker was supposed to be a new gimmick for Steamer, Shoe. Sometimes people get their insider terms a bit confused. If it was (meaning that Dusty actually wanted the audience to think that Ricky was after Medusa in a threatening way, and would stalk other women similarly in the future), he missed the mark by a million miles; there are approximately a million wrestlers who would be more believable in such a creepy role. The thing is, I can't totally dismiss the idea out of hand, given some of his other ideas.

I don't think the "nemesis" thing was a stumble. I think Steamer wanted to call Rude "my friend", as he has with some other people he's feuded with in the past, but decided that the occasion needed something a bit stronger. We just happened to catch him thinking on his feet a little longer than he should have been.

Glad to see that I was right about the fire breathing being a message to Rude. Of course, scaring the hell out of Jesse and Paul was a nice little side benefit!

• GSR changed the title to [1992-05-16-WCW-Worldwide] Interview: Ricky Steamboat
  • 1 year later...