Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-06-13-USWA-TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Prentice laments the closing stores and half-mast flags as a response to Jerry Lawler's accidental title unification, and promises to regain the title for US, the fans. Gilbert vows to quit wrestling if he can't beat Lawler--not go to the WWF, or WCW, but quit entirely. Another money promo.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

My guess is that the GWF told Eddie to quit representing himself as their champion without their permission, so this was the USWA's way of ending the angle.

I liked this a lot better when Eddie was calm at the beginning, talking about his dream of being Southern champion. Once his sunglasses came off, this promo lost something. It didn't go completely off the rails by any means, but Eddie's a better talker when he's talking from the heart and telling his real-life story. Going after Lawler for believing he's the King (who do you think called him the King first anyway, Eddie? Lance Russell?) makes no sense in this context. Neither does having Bert Prentice wasting the first few seconds of interview rime, even if he is supposed to be a GWF official.

Speaking of Prentice, why in the world did he call Corey "Corey Maclin Ali"? At least that's what it sounded like to me.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-06-13-USWA-TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert
  • 1 year later...

I think part of why he started yelling had something to do with the crowd.  Could barely hear a yelling Eddie Gilbert over the "Lawler" chants.  Which would have to drive the guy nuts.  Honestly, Jerry Lawler calling himself the King of Wrestling in Memphis is pretty much spot on.  There's no denying Lawler had these fans behind him about 3000%.