Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-07-18-WWF-Superstars] Update: Summerslam hype

Loss

• 1 month later...

The Summerslam hype has begun! We get clips from BBC TV hyping Summerslam and of some of the stars doing public appearances, including Davey Boy. They show fans waiting outside for tickets. This for some reason is my favorite update ever. See it and you'll know what I mean.

I think this was also the last year they used the awesome guitar riff music to hype Summerslam.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I liked them showing the news clips from British TV; this was much more of a legit story over there than it would have been over here. I don't think Pittsburgh TV even mentioned it when we got our first pay-per-view (SummerSlam '95).

I liked most of the interviews, although Davey Boy saying that being the only Englishman on the roster gives him an advantage is so bizarre that even the marks can see through it. Stealing a wrestling pay-per-view from America is nowhere near stealing the World Series (which is impossible anyway, since the Series is played at the home ballparks) but I can appreciate the head of Wembley's enthusiasm.

Nice to see that Duggan still has a job; The last time we saw him on the Yearbooks outside of the '92 Rumble was when he saved Sid from Jake's cobra all the way back in October of last year.

Warrior in street clothes was a bit of a shock, especially given the WWF's trend of having wrestlers go out in public wearing only their gear.

Correct me if I'm wrong: The pay-per-view was done live on the evening of the thirty-first local time, which would have been in the middle of the afternoon Eastern time, then fed to the States via satellite on tape the same night (all told, about a six-hour tape delay).

• GSR changed the title to [1992-07-18-WWF-Superstars] Update: Summerslam hype
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/7/2016 at 8:28 AM, garretta said:

Correct me if I'm wrong: The pay-per-view was done live on the evening of the thirty-first local time, which would have been in the middle of the afternoon Eastern time, then fed to the States via satellite on tape the same night (all told, about a six-hour tape delay).

The show occurred on the 29th (per ticket stubs) and the US broadcast occurred on the 31st (print and TV ads).