Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-09-06-WCW-Main Event] Cactus Jack vs Dustin Rhodes (Falls Count Anywhere)

Loss

• 2 months later...

Short, but really fun. You could argue this as making better use of the time than Sting/Cactus did a few months earlier. Not a wasted moment, and a pretty intense brawl to boot. I love Hayes asking if putting a foot on the railing would stop a pinfall count when they were laid out outside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I didn't love the first match, but this was great. Dustin attacks Cactus in the aisle and we're off to the races. Cactus hits his sunset flip to the floor and at least comes down on mat, then a suplex on the stage as he's not sparing himself at all. Dustin brutalizes Cactus with a chair before Cactus hits his elbow to the floor for the win. Hell of a performance by Cactus and Dustin was game for the brawl as well. I preferred this to the Sting match at Beach Blast.

***1/2

• 2 weeks later...

Really fun stuff--Foley should be required to play Pat Patterson and lay out any and all falls-count-anywhere matches in all promotions. Loved him giving a suplex to a table so that it lands on Dustin, and his hug and embrace of the chairs that he uses. Dustin takes some pretty crazy bumps himself, like when he went for the bulldog on the floor and got sent into the ringpost and then bounced off the bottom of the guardrail. He misses a clothesline and tumbles to the floor, landing in perfect position for the apron dive elbowdrop to give Cactus the victory. Clean jobs by babyfaces--who would have ever thought.

• 2 years later...

They sure crammed everything they could into this match, didn't they? This was about the most brutal, spot-packed FCA match I've seen, and it probably seemed even more violent because they only got a little less than eight minutes. There were only two sequences in the ring, and one was just long enough for Dustin to miss a clothesline and tumble over the top rope. Quite frankly, I'm surprised TBS put this on one of its regular shows.

I'm guessing that Mick got the win mostly because he's involved with Barby's title match at Halloween Havoc. Boy, talk about a weird stable: Cactus, Barby, Jake........and Butch Reed? One of those guys is not like the others, that's for sure. That may be one reason why Reed didn't last long, although if they'd given him some time to reestablish himself and played up the Doom breakup a little, he might have been a hell of a challenger for Simmons.

Boy, was Hayes enjoying himself here or what? He actually rooted for both guys at different times, which was a bit weird, but he pulled it off. I loved him asking JR what would happen in an FCA match if someone got his foot on the railing, although judging by JR's tone of voice during his answer I'm not sure if he appreciated it too much. How the hell did we get from this to Dok Hendrix, and what on earth kind of name is Dok Hendrix in the first place?

Was the fan vote about the top rope rule at the Clash legit, or did Watts use it as an excuse to do what he wanted to do anyway, which is rescind the rule in almost all cases? Either way, it was an intelligent move by the Cowboy.

• 2 years later...

Dustin Rhodes vs Cactus Jack - WCW Main Event 9/6/92

I could have sworn I had seen this before but I guess not. Great 7 minute brawl here. I think Falls Count Anywhere is a tough match to work especially back then with no Jumbotron. The crowd heat for a Falls Count Anywhere is never gonna be that great. Some of the cutesy Cactus spots to get over the gimmick like the inside cradle by Dustin and then sunset flip from the apron didn't do much for me. Once it became about kicking the shit out of each other I really enjoyed this. Dustin has such a great punch and Cactus loves getting his ass kicked so this was a match made in heaven. Cactus takes over when he shoves Dustin into the post and then it the table suplex shot and then hitting Dustin in the head with a chair. Dustin is finally done when he takes his crazy bump over the top rope to the floor on bare concrete. Holy shit! I said it out loud. Cactus Elbow! Damn great definitive finish. Why the hell was Cactus not main eventing against Ron Simmons instead of training Barbarian. Somehow I convinced myself he was injured but that clearly cant be the case. Really showed the amazing young talent WCW had at this time. Great wild brawl on a random TV show. That is why I miss WCW is was just so fun & random. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1992-09-06-WCW-Main Event] Cactus Jack vs Dustin Rhodes (Falls Count Anywhere)
  • 2 years later...