Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-09-17-CMLL] El Dandy vs El Satanico (Hair vs Hair)

Loss

• 2 months later...

Good match, but not the classic you might hope for, especially if you have seen their 1990 match. It takes a while for things to get cooking, although when it does, it's really good. I love Dandy settling an even keeled slugfest by DDTing Satanico, and the Indian deathlock pinning combo that finished the first fall was tremendous. This has some really good visuals because of all of the blood, and the real finish at the end looks great, but considering Dandy was going over anyway, I'm not sure why they did the double pin first. I definitely enjoyed this, and it's a good addition to their resumes, but not near the best stuff these guys have done together.

Did you like this better than their 1991 match? I thought this was better, but not as good as the 1990 matches.

I always think of this Dandy/Satanico hair match series as CMLL's version of the Lawler/Dundee LLT matches.

I haven't seen that. Sounds like a must-add to the '91 yearbook.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

No high flying as they went down in the trenches with brawling and blood. Satanico has great facials. I couldn't help thinking that Dandy is better suited to being a rudo. A fun match with a nice ending as Satan cheats to win. Wait a sec... they overturn the decision and Dandy wins 1 move later. Ugh. Real shame they did that.

Haven't seen 90 match so not able to compare. Thought it was good and liked the blood. Mixed on the finish as I didn't like the double pin at first though I thought they were giving it to Satanico as he got his shoulder up. Anyways ref restarts match and Dandy immediately gets the pinfall. Too soon for that. Should have done a couple more exchanges before going right into another pinfall.

• 11 months later...

I think this is the second of the 3 hair matches. Not as good as '90, but an improvement over '91 as the falls were more credibly spaced out with some good false finishes in the primera caida, and the referee was less of a factor. Lucha referees as a rule generally aren't very good but the guy here (Roberto Angel?) is the best of the bad bunch that I've seen. Anyway, this is down and dirty and awesome, with some great wrestling mixed in as well. Good finish as Dandy tries a tapatia and Satanico falls back with all four shoulders on the mat. Satanico grabs the ropes and bridges and gets the pin to win the rubber match. But wait...Atlantis pleads his case to the Box y Lucha commission and this match MUST CONTINUE. Dandy absolutely levels Satanico with clotheslines, Warrior-style, then gets the Dandina for the real victory. I liked the ending's execution (both the false one and the real one) but I too would have preferred a longer post-restart, to give it that epic past-midnight push. Still a low-level lucha MOTYC.

• 2 weeks later...

I really need to check out the matches from '90 (and the new 80s set) as apparently those are the can't miss versions of this, which was fun but didn't feel like anything so special. Dandy takes the first with the same toehold bridge from the Casas match, and then he bleeds. A lot. Didn't love the finish in the third but there's always room for a good shaving.

***1/4

• 2 years later...

This match was ridiculous. I've had my problems with lucha, mostly tags and trios matches, but this is the limit.

Look, I know all about rudo-leaning referees, but this schmo not only favored Satanico, he was so blatant doing it that it ruined everything. How many blatant fouls did Satanico commit that the guy was looking right at? And then he lands all over Dandy when he tries to get some payback? Screw you, whatever your name is. There's playing your role, and then there's being annoying. You passed annoying about ten seconds in. I've seen plenty of lucha bouts, some undoubtedly with rudo-leaning refs, where I didn't even know there was a ref, and that's as it should be. Maybe there was a talent scout in the audience and the guy wanted to be noticed in whatever passes for the Mexican movie industry; if anyone else has another explanation that makes more sense, I'd love to hear it (and please don't say that this is the way rudo refs or the lucha style works, because I call horseshit and double horseshit respectively.)

If you take the goofball in the (metaphorical) striped shirt out of the equation, the performances are actually pretty good. Satanoco knows he's got home field advantage, if you will, so he takes advantage every way he can and has the time of his life doing it, while Dandy shows the proper amount of pluck and grit in the face of three-on-one odds and manages to triumph when someone in authority finally makes the match fair about twenty minutes too late. I disagree with those who say the match should have gone longer; after all Satanico had done and gotten away with, he needed to be dispensed with in a hurry. He couldn't be allowed to screw Dandy over for one more second, or the place would have (or at least should have) rioted.

I'll say one thing for Satanico: he stood still for his shaving like a man. Most rudos do, but it takes a special kind of guts to do it after you've beaten your opponent to within an inch of his life and beaten him, only for the commission to restart the bout.

I hope we see these two go at it again with a less obvious ref in the ring. They're capable of a Match of the Year candidate, as we saw two years ago. Unfortunately, this wasn't close to being it, and none of it was their fault whatsoever.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-09-17-CMLL] El Dandy vs El Satanico (Hair vs Hair)
  • 2 years later...

To start with I fucking hate this ref.  He has destroyed almost every match I have seen him in with his bullshit.  Fuck you and stay away from wrestling rings forever.

Dandy and Satanico did great work, but I would agree the 90 match was better and this one was odd in that Dandy walked through a bunch of stuff that ought to have had him selling like death.  Kind of a flaw when you start thinking about it.  There was a lot of great stuff that made the match worth watching, a lot of it mentioned here already, I just think that if Satanico is going to get away with murder over and over again it ought to be sold as such for at least the next 30 seconds to a minute.

The false finish sucked too.  Great job ref, completely missed the guy's hand on the ropes.  Or "didn't want to see it" because he is rudo too, whatever. 

I think with a half decent ref enforcing the rules on both guys this could have been a great match.  As it was it was a good match with amazing sequences in there.