Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-10-10-SMW-TV] Interview: Ron Wright & Dirty White Boy / Interview: Rock & Roll Express

Loss

• 2 months later...

The glass from the broken bottle last week got in Ron Wright's eyes and he already has cataracts and now he's going to go blind! DWB is a decent enough worker and great enough talker that he should have gotten a real shot in the big leagues at some point.

Then we get an interview from the Rock & Roll Express. Morton is an underrated talker. I should start joining Dylan in threads where he defends him. He promises a big, big surprise for Jim Cornette next week. He slips and calls the Bodies the Midnight Express but he catches himself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Tim Horner has gotten his title match, in the toughest way possible. White Boy is incensed that $2500 that was going to go to Ron Wright is now going to SMW, and he aims to take that out on Horner.

Ricky Morton promises a surprise for Jim Cornette next week. I don't think this quite going to live up to the hype.

• 2 weeks later...

Horner has a concussion but will still wrestle DWB. That sure wouldn't fly today. Ron Wright is just great, and DWB is a solid heel but far from a world champion.

The RNR deliver a promo about Cornette saying they can't challenge for the titles again. They promise a surprise for Cornette. Morton says its for the Midnight--excuse me, Heavenly Bodies, and he laughs at it too.

• 2 years later...

Ron Wright and Dirty White Boy explain that they were having a celebration last week over his life being spared after Tim Horner tried to kill him! Wright says how Horner came out, grabbed the beer bottle, swung it at the Dirty White Boy and hit him in the head. Some of the glass ended up getting in his eyes where he had cataract surgery and now he's probably going to lose his sight and he'll be a blind manager out here! He's already crippled and in a wheelchair, and now will be blind too and it's all down to Horner. Bob Caudle says that he didn't see it that way, when Anthony tells him if Horner gets in the ring with him he'll finish the job he should've started a long time ago, and is going to take $2,500 out on him because Ron Wright could've really used that money. Wright really is some piece of work!

Bob Caudle tells the Rock & Roll Express that they were blindsided by Jim Cornette last week coming out with that surprise injunction, and that they can no longer wrestle the Heavenly Bodies for the tag team titles. Morton says that if Cornette likes surprises, they've got one of their own for him next week.

• 7 months later...

I loved Tony here, but Ron was another story. Heels telling stories completely different than what was captured on videotape shouldn't be allowed these days, and I'm talking in a behind-the-scenes sense. Does Corny actually think that that kind of stuff is going to draw heat anymore? This is 1992, not 1972 when a lot of television pictures were fuzzy and videotapes were reused every week. If you want to talk about Ron getting glass in his eyes, say that a piece from the flying bottle got wedged in and almost blinded him, and it's all Horner's fault for putting his hands on him and making Tony have to break the bottle over his head. It's not hard to tell a story at least somewhat based on what we actually saw, Corny, it really isn't.

Not much to say about the Rock 'n' Roll segment, really. I can't wait to find out what the surprise is myself.

Serious question: Why did Corny go with the Heavenly Bodies for the name of his team instead of the Midnight Express? Did WCW own the name somehow, or did he just want to go with something different for his new promotion?

It's not the lying itself, Pete. It's tough to explain, because heels are supposed to say stuff to make themselves look good. But there's a difference between having a different perspective on what happened and making up stuff that never even came close to happening and can be backed up as never happening on videotape. Most fans let bookers slide on that kind of thing, but I'm not one of them.

Someone as good as Ron Wright is can spin a tale that can be told over an unedited videotape of an angle, in this case Tony Pearl Harboring Horner with a bottle after Horner barely touched Ron, and turn it to their advantage. They don't need to make up a reality that no one ever came close to seeing. They got away with it in the days when all fans had to rely on was their memories and fuzzy TV pictures, but in this day and age (1992), where a videotape of the exact incident can be cued up and show the fans what happened? That's just booking laziness and trying to get away with cheap crap, and it's also a lack of confidence in the ability of your heels to tell a believable story. Heels don't need to resort to stuff like this if the booker believes that they're really good at what they do. I never once saw Roddy Piper or Ric Flair or Nick Bockwinkel or Randy Savage make up a lie out of nowhere about a taped angle to get themselves over. Did they take what was on that tape and spin it to their own advantage? You bet they did. But they never made up stuff that wasn't there to start with.

I guess I shouldn't have said never, because people will be going crazy trying to come up with examples to prove me wrong. But it certainly wasn't a main part of their personas at any rate, and each of the four gentlemen I mentioned were at one time the most hated man in the business.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-10-10-SMW-TV] Interview: Ron Wright & Dirty White Boy / Interview: Rock & Roll Express
  • 2 years later...