Pro Wrestling Only

What are you watching?

Tim Cooke

I'm on a quest to watch every episode of the Monday Night Wars with a modern perspective. Please join me over the next few weeks...years as I travel down the road that was the high light of many of our fandoms.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/the-...1/#.UrMQCLTlcTA

- The origin of Mongo in WCW

- PASTAMANIA

- Debuts aplenty

- Hulk Hogan's technical wrestling impresses

- RAW is Pete Sampras

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funaki and Petey Williams vs. D.O.C. and Knux - TNA One Night Only: World Cup

Did you know PWI awarded Aces & Eights vs. TNA as Feud of the Year in 2012? Let's not pause on that. I bet D.O.C.'s jeans smell worse than a truck driver after a cross-country trek. Funaki dressed in his SmackDown! #1 Announcer gear with not one but two mock SD! logos on it. Funaki's punches look like he's skipping stones in a pond. I've never been more hot and cold on a tag team before. I'm game for Funaki but Petey is the drizzling shits. Williams' ROH run is the cure for insomnia. D.O.C. has a pretty decent jumping leg drop but he's no Ernie Ladd. Wonder if Knux could get into BoLA next year? I'd love to see him go out in the first round to Candice LeRae or Johnny Yuma. This World Cup has been about as international as an IHOP. Petey did some slingshot move that was indecipherable. Funaki nearfall off of a crossbody. Haven't seen one of those finish someone off since Adam Cole beat Davey Richards at ROH's 10th Ann. show. Lousy finish with a hammer shot so fraudulent I made a citizen's arrest on my cable box.

I never really cared much for Jimmy Golden, but I'm trying to clean up some stuff that's been sitting on my hard drive and just finished watching January and some of February 1981 Southeast Championship Wrestling (Continental) and he has been outstanding as the new top heel of the territory.

I don't totally understand the whole deal with Ron Fuller wearing the Tennessee Stud mask since everyone already seemed to know it was him, but Golden turns on him and ties his arms to the ropes and steals his mask. Then he cuts some great promos on Fuller while always having the mask with him. Then after a few weeks we finally get a promo from Ron Fuller who says he feels humiliated in the South East area and so he's going to move on to another territory. Of course, that leads to a great Jimmy Golden promo afterwards, since all the trash he talked about Fuller seems to have come true. All the while he's facing guys like Mr Wrestling II and Ken Lucas at the arenas, big stars (at least for the territory) coming to avenge their friend Ron Fuller. I'm sad this is all the Southeast that I have because I'd really like to see when Fuller inevitably comes back to face him.

That's not to mention the good stuff going on between Bullet Bob Armstrong & Brad Armstrong vs Randy Rose, Dennis Condrey & Saito. Plus they spent about 10 minutes giving a very balanced and thoughtful look into an upcoming "Women's Liberation" tag match with Joyce Gable and Judy Martin vs. Roy Welch & Robert Gibson that kind of blew me away for a promotion based in Alabama in 1981. Southeast, Gulf Coast, Continental, whatever you want to call it this promotion is really a hidden gem. It's sad there isn't more footage.

One thing I did learn is that having obviously non Japanese people playing Japanese heels was not new to PY Chu Hi. Even with the horrible video quality I can tell that Oki Shikina is NOT Japanese. I looked up some info on him and apparently he was from Mexico!

CM Punk vs. Kane - ECW on SyFy 6/3/08

Punk was in a four-way earlier in the same show. Probably of all the former WWE champions these are the two with the most tepid offense. Kane did like a reverse neckhang spot that looked kind of cool and barbaric. Big boot landed square in the face knocking Punk through the ropes to the floor -- he'll probably think his nightly Pepsi tastes like a Crystal Clear after eating that shot. Kane's dropkick to a seated opponent is about a 4.7 on the Konnan scale. Body-scissors hold actually looks visually painful due to Kane's size and not a resthold. I miss this chunkier Punk. Easily to buy him hanging with the big guys than today with his Teen Wolf sideburns and zip-up hoodies borrowed from his nephew's closet. Okay, maybe I was rough on Kane, he's got better looking offense than other champs Foley, RVD, Sid, and Swagger, but he's still behind Lashley, no dice for CM as I saw better kicks in kids karate class at the YMCA in '90 than Punk's. Punk slides out of a chokeslam, tries the G2S but plays up being too banged up, then Kane retained the ECW title with a chokeslam. Better than I expected but as ECW world title reigns go Kane's was no Ezekiel Jackson's.

Steve Williams vs Kenta Kobashi (AJPW 09/03/94)

The Greatest Leg Drop Ever.

Also; Holy shit that crowd when Kobashi got back dropped from the top rope.

This didn't quite make it onto my indulgent fave matches list as it was a touch too long and felt like it was losing direction at times but it was a decent showing from both guys. The test of strength-shoulder bargey shit at the beginning might have been the best part. Loved Williams cockily skipping in the middle of the ring after shrugging off a Kobashi charge and, later, his coked-up 'powering up' after he'd knocked Kenta to the outside.

I never really cared much for Jimmy Golden, but I'm trying to clean up some stuff that's been sitting on my hard drive and just finished watching January and some of February 1981 Southeast Championship Wrestling (Continental) and he has been outstanding as the new top heel of the territory.

I don't totally understand the whole deal with Ron Fuller wearing the Tennessee Stud mask since everyone already seemed to know it was him, but Golden turns on him and ties his arms to the ropes and steals his mask. Then he cuts some great promos on Fuller while always having the mask with him. Then after a few weeks we finally get a promo from Ron Fuller who says he feels humiliated in the South East area and so he's going to move on to another territory. Of course, that leads to a great Jimmy Golden promo afterwards, since all the trash he talked about Fuller seems to have come true. All the while he's facing guys like Mr Wrestling II and Ken Lucas at the arenas, big stars (at least for the territory) coming to avenge their friend Ron Fuller. I'm sad this is all the Southeast that I have because I'd really like to see when Fuller inevitably comes back to face him.

That's not to mention the good stuff going on between Bullet Bob Armstrong & Brad Armstrong vs Randy Rose, Dennis Condrey & Saito. Plus they spent about 10 minutes giving a very balanced and thoughtful look into an upcoming "Women's Liberation" tag match with Joyce Gable and Judy Martin vs. Roy Welch & Robert Gibson that kind of blew me away for a promotion based in Alabama in 1981. Southeast, Gulf Coast, Continental, whatever you want to call it this promotion is really a hidden gem. It's sad there isn't more footage.

Southeastern was really very good. I have around 47 discs or so of it and have really enjoyed it. It's honestly pretty well represented though there's not a ton in the pre-Continental days. However, with Continental/Southeastern I think there is around 70-90 discs. Golden, The Fullers and Armstrong were a great core that all are hall of famers in the own right and putting them together in various scenarios was guaranteed quality. All of them could be faces or heels and make it work. I also really enjoyed Charlie Platt and people like Mr. Olympia and Austin Idol were very good in their roles.

Most of the wrestlers in Continental that wore masks were really obvious, but I think they designed it that way. You had Fuller, The Flame, The Bullet and others.

There's a really great unmasking angle from Continental that I covered here:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/co...985-part-2.html

Shawn Michaels/Bret Hart/Diesel vs Mabel/British Bulldog/Yokozuna - 11/10/95 - Nassau Coliseum - Handheld

94/95/96 WWF is a bit of a blind spot for me still but I'd never even heard of this match until I started looking at fancam lists for Dustin matches and on paper it's fascinating. The idea of Bret and Shawn teaming this late in the game is compelling in and of itself. The whole show is interesting actually. Skip vs Ahmed Johnson, Dean Douglas vs Savio, early Goldust vs Jannetty, Smoking Gunns vs the insane team of Jean Pierre LaFitte the Pirate and Kama the Ultimate Fighting Machine, Yankem vs Godwinn (okay maybe not that), Heel Owen vs Face Bam Bam, Hunter vs Razor.

- It should be noted that Backlund is the special ref in this and does absolutely nothing until the post-match stuff. I forgot and thought it was Chioda at one part of the match.

- Bret's body language is interesting in this from the get go. He moves to the apron first and is sort of lacon, leaning on the top rope and watching. Shawn and Diesel high five and butt pat and he just watches. The crowd sounds pretty hot, though some of that could be where it's being filmed from. They're taunting Bulldog and Yoko with a USA chant which neither Mabel or Bret entirely know how to deal with.

-Shine #1: Fun Bulldog vs Shawn segment to start. Bulldog really keeps up with him. Best part is a cutesy eyepoke from Shawn. Diesel cheers on. Bret watches. Diesel comes in and hits some power moves on Bulldog. Yoko tags in and the crowd really wants to see it.

-Transition to Heat #1: OHHHHkay, I see what's going on here. We're right before Survivor Series 95. Diesel hits the ropes off of a Yoko shoulder block and knocks Bret off the apron. Bret storms back in. Shawn plays peacemaker. I had to go back and check to make sure they didn't run this on Raw. Yoko capitalizes, going to Diesel's eyes and then knocking Shawn off the apron. Diesel fights back, almost gets him down but gets squashed by a samoan drops off the ropes. Bret breaks up the pin.

-Heat #1: Ok, so there is no heat. Bulldog misses an elbow. Mabel misses an elbow. Diesel rolls to bret for the tag for (not so) Hot Tag #1. I was going to say that Diesel as face in peril with two hugely smaller guys on the apron, both of whom are known for their selling, would have been really weird.

-Face Comeback #1/Face Shine #2: Bret Five Moves Of Dooms Bulldog but Mabel breaks up the Sharpshooter for Transition to Heat #2.It's a shame that we didn't get more tags with Bret after he really developed them because it's a really good way to fill time, hit a comeback.

-Heat #2: Mabel tags in. Bret is still selling. Shawn is pissed on the apron, though I'm not sure why. I don't know how many times Mabel wrestled Bret but it's a good match up. Mabel just demolishes Bret in the corner, rakes his eye all the way across the ring on the top rope and tags in Yoko. USA chant starts back up for Bret. Poor guy. Nerve hold time, but at least the crowd is into it. Oh man, Mabel grabs the HUGE Japanese flag from Cornette or Fuji or whoever's on the outside that I can't see due to the fancam and waves it from the corner. Great visual and the fans eat it up. Massive heat. Shawn's on the second rope cheerleading for Bret to get up. Surreal. Bulldog tags in and we get a headlock spot with missed tags and irate Michaels charging in and heels switching and Yoko legdrops and all that good stuff. Mabel's great in this. He eats a second rope hope clothesline by Bret but only weeble wobbles, then rights himself and falls forward, not backwards, landing with a headbutt. Nice cutoff. Bret gets out of the corner at the last second, dives and rolls with great timing to Hot Tag #2 to Diesel.

-Face Comeback #2/Finish - Diesel cleans house. Everything breaks down. They do a "whip all three heels into the center of the ring" spot which Bret accomplishes on Mabel by getting behind him and pushing, which is a nice, believable touch. Some nice looking stuff here. The Diesel big boot on Mabel looks good. I really like the Rocket Launcher splash that Diesel and Shawn do. Yoko tries to splash to break up the pin but Shawn moves and he lands on Mabel. The second gets involved but gets tossed and Shawn hits SCM in the middle of the ring for the win.

-Post match, Bret has to deal with the indignity of celebrating to Sexy Boy, which he does by hanging out in the babyface corner, leaning forward, his back to everyone. Backlund remembers he's getting a paycheck that night and stomps over to attack Bret from behind. Diesel catches him and tosses him. Bret walks over and tries to figure out what the hell just happened. Shawn plays peacemaker again. Bret stalks around annoyed. Shawn pats him on the butt as he leaves.

Well, I'm not sure if it's must see or anything but if I had been at this show and it was my main event, I would have been fairly happy with it.

Working through all the Rumbles before the next one and man, the 92 Rumble is just a masterclass IMO. Just about every sequence is enjoyable, Flair's performance is incredible and only matched by Heenan in the booth. The Flair/Davey Boy story running through the first 20 minutes or so is my personal highlight and I love whenever they replicate something similar nowadays.

I watched the 2000 and 2008 Rumbles after that since they're both in MSG with hot crowds. Cactus/HHH still holds up as this crazy war after about 10 minutes and the Pedigree into the tacks is still a fucking crazy spot. Foley really does all he can to make HHH look a million bucks; Hunter bleeds, gets piledriven on a table, hit with barbed wire and still comes out of it looking more bad ass than he could ever accomplish on his own so it's a bit sad that he apparently won't acknowledge Foley's efforts now. The 2000 Rumble itself is the perfect example of time killing before the main eventers come out. The story early on with Rikishi eliminating everyone is fun as is the pop for Backlund but it sort of plods along.

2008 Rumble is an event I really like. MVP/Flair is a far more enjoyable match than Kennedy/Flair a month later(obviously) and they really did fuck up MVP in 2008. JBL/Jericho is kind of bland with the exception of Jericho bleeding all over the place. The crowd is really hot for Rey/Edge but Edge is pretty shitty so it's not too great but Orton/Hardy is such a good match. Orton takes a bump off a baseball slide that convinces you for a second that he could be dead and after that, it's great. Orton keeps leaving the ring to catch his breath but Hardy keeps flying out after him in increasingly nutty ways and Orton really gets over that he's in serious trouble here. This was right in the period where Hardy's inherent sloppiness actually contributed to his matches because he'd end up kicking guys square in the face when he was aiming for their chest so it really looks like Orton is in a fight to keep his title. The snap RKO is a good finish too and again, had Hardy not got suspended, he would have been a lock to win MITB at Mania. The Rumble match itself is one of my favourites for some reason. The story of Michaels and Taker taking shots at each other where they can is fun, it uses Hornswoggle effectively, it even plays into the Palumbo/Noble story in a way that they wouldn't even attempt now and the pop for Cena is great. I'm not sure if it was because it was my first Rumble since my interest in wrestling was reinvigorated but I really like this show.

Watching the 2003 Rumble now and the Show/Lesnar opener is such a great little match. Lesnar is obviously a freak but everytime he gets Show up for a belly to belly suplex, it's impressive and Show bumps really well all the way through. Lesnar returns the favour in kind with a great bump over the top rope and Heyman is excellent at ringside (as always). Show's face when Lesnar kicks out of the chokeslam is kind of silly but the finish with Lesnar hitting the F5 is great. I may need to watch late 02/early 03 Show as I thought he was really great here.

Watched the Dump Matsumoto/Bull Nakano stint in 1986 WWF last night (posted about it on DVDVR's board). Then watched the two Crush Gals matches I found find on there (from Boston Garden/MSG, their other match was on TV but I couldn't find it).. so if Moolah just sunk the WWF women's division in 1988 out of jealousy towards the Bomb Angels, would it be a fair guess to think that perhaps there's a good solid reason why Crush Gals/Dump&Bull only worked 3 shows there and never came back?

Also, while it's borderline cruel to ask Gorilla Monsoon to pronounce Japanese names, he did eventually decide to just refer to "The Bull", "The Dump", and "Lioness", while also occasionally calling Nagayo "Lioness" too. The pre-match at the Garden included Monsoon asking Danny Davis on air which one was Asuka and which one was Nagayo. Also, the hilarious inability of the announcers to remember the English language tag team name of Bull/Dump

So, that was a weird little journey I took on YouTube last night

Edit: I also guess the Dump WWF run was slightly hindered by them not encouraging Dump Matsumoto to stab Velvet McIntyre until she bled. But the random people that'd make week-long runs in 1980s WWF, yeah, wow

Just watched Ahmed Johnson vs. Goldust from KOTR 96 with the buildup that includes Goldust giving him "mouth to mouth resuscitation" Man Ahmed's entrance where he burst through those doors they had for the set and runs in blasts Goldust with a clothesline while he's still wearing the wig and his robe is awesome. Then he busts out an insane dive over the ropes to get at Goldust on the outside. Ahmed seemed like he was going to be SUCH a big star at this point, I remember being a huge Ahmed fan at the time.

But it also stands out to me how good Dustin was at this time. He was so great at working that character, patting Ahmed Johnson on the butt after delivering some punches to him, rubbing on his head before raking the eyes, touching his butt before pounding on his back. And at the same time he did a good job looking like he was a threat to Ahmed, who seemed invincible at this time period. When is the last time they had an IC title match even close to as heated as this?

Just watched Ahmed Johnson vs. Goldust from KOTR 96 with the buildup that includes Goldust giving him "mouth to mouth resuscitation" Man Ahmed's entrance where he burst through those doors they had for the set and runs in blasts Goldust with a clothesline while he's still wearing the wig and his robe is awesome. Then he busts out an insane dive over the ropes to get at Goldust on the outside. Ahmed seemed like he was going to be SUCH a big star at this point, I remember being a huge Ahmed fan at the time.

But it also stands out to me how good Dustin was at this time. He was so great at working that character, patting Ahmed Johnson on the butt after delivering some punches to him, rubbing on his head before raking the eyes, touching his butt before pounding on his back. And at the same time he did a good job looking like he was a threat to Ahmed, who seemed invincible at this time period. When is the last time they had an IC title match even close to as heated as this?

The match was one of the more impressive "story driven" ones I've seen out of WWF. That's not to say I necessarily thought the story was great, but the way they stuck to it was pretty impressive.

The match was one of the more impressive "story driven" ones I've seen out of WWF. That's not to say I necessarily thought the story was great, but the way they stuck to it was pretty impressive.

It was very "story driven" and I think that's why I liked it so much. Even though some of the holds Goldust put on Johnson got a little boring, pretty much everything that they did in that match stuck to the story.

Whether you think the story of "guy sexually harasses and molests his opponent to get into his head" is a good one is certainly subjective and I know in 1996 I was pretty turned off by the Goldust character. Looking at it now though I have to credit how original it was and how good Goldust was at working a character that very few guys in wrestling would want to do, and even fewer would be able to pull off.

It was very "story driven" and I think that's why I liked it so much. Even though some of the holds Goldust put on Johnson got a little boring, pretty much everything that they did in that match stuck to the story.

Whether you think the story of "guy sexually harasses and molests his opponent to get into his head" is a good one is certainly subjective and I know in 1996 I was pretty turned off by the Goldust character. Looking at it now though I have to credit how original it was and how good Goldust was at working a character that very few guys in wrestling would want to do, and even fewer would be able to pull off.

Dustin had a huge rear chinlock problem as heel Goldust. Huge. It was easily the biggest problem with him in 95-96. Every match, almost, and not worked in any interesting way as a base or anything. Occasionally, he'd do some decent hope spots/cutoffs with it, but generally it was just a frustrating bore. In the Johnson match, it's actually far more interesting than usual since it all plays into the wearing down/sleeper/kiss spot in the end. You can draw a throughline in that match that you can't in most other heel Goldust matches from the era.

Ordered TNA One Night Only: Tag Team Tournament a few weeks back. Finally got around to writing up my thoughts:

1. Petey Williams and Sonjay Dutt vs. Generation Me

2. Hot Shots vs. Aces & Eights

3. British Invasion vs. Dirty Heels

Liked the opener. Probably one of the better ONO matches yet. It's simple, not groundbreaking, and while these guys are all known for flashy pizzazz offense, this felt like an actual athletic contest with some good back-and-forth, a fine alienation segment on Max Buck, and plenty of fluid sequences. Next some TNA veterans (Cassidy Riley and Chase Stevens) versus some rookies (Garett Bischoff and Wes Brisco) in what on paper appears to be a match fit for a Hermie Sadler UWF mid-card. Riley has sad eyes. Garret tripped trying to get in position to take a Cassidy armdrag. While Stevens was cutting his teeth on the circuit little Garret was on the set of Ready to Rumble drinking Shirley Temples courtesy of daddy. Wes looked like he dipped his face in sulphuric acid as a kid. Guy in front row in Baja hoodie that resembles Terry Funk's pinstriped trunks. Match wasn't terrible but hard to buy the Aces' control segments as Bischoff is not believable on offense. I always liked Doug Williams and Aries' match at ROH Death Before Dishonor: Night 2 (2004) so cool to see them competing again. Another strong entry in this show with good structure, Doug got a nice stretch on offense, and teamwork seemed emphasized with some nice saves and double-teams. Rob Terry offered least to the proceedings having his sole highlight being spat on by Roode.

4. Chavo Guerrero and Hernandez vs. Bad Influence

5. Aces & Eights vs. Magnus and Samoa Joe

6. Team 3D vs. Generation Me

Watched the next match over two sittings so my thoughts are fragmented. I was surprised to see the faces go over. Chavo and Kaz did the weakest double-clothesline spot I've seen. I may be alone in thinking Chavo's TNA run was actually underrated. Magnus and Joe had a few borderline great bouts in NOAH (vs. Akiyama/Saito, KENTA/Maybach, etc.) but I found their TNA stint as a team unmemorable. Surprised the Aces ran so much offense considering they'd already had a match and their protracted leg work on Joe was insipid. Once the tide changed they put this to bed pretty suddenly. Team 3D is the last team to see action (at least inside the ring I can't vouch for backstage happenings) and they hop right in ready to get after it. Pretty straightforward affair, the Dudley's did show some ass, so that was cool seeing them eat some missile dropicks and whatnot, and Max Buck took a pretty nasty bump on a toss over the ropes to the floor where he collided with the apron like a hockey player getting checked into the boards.

7. Magnus and Samoa Joe vs. Dirty Heels

8. Team 3D vs. Chavo Guerrero and Hernandez

9. Team 3D vs. Dirty Heels

Control segment on Magnus left him more isolated than Theodore in Her. Magnus is awfully in favor of Dixie Carter I'm wagering a guess he's trimmed her lawn both grass and pubes. Taz is a clown on commentary no surprise but I'd have loved to see him in his prime versus Aries. Brass knuckles shot gets them Dirty Heels the vociferous victory. D-Von in biker duds calls to mine Biker Boyz. Wonder who'll induct the Dudley Boyz into the WWE HoF? Speaking of hypothetical questions, wonder what would have happened if Aries wouldn't have flunked his WWE Tough Enough tryout? Would have loved watching Hugh Morris teach him the finer points of running the ropes. Heels versus heels final? All four guys are wearing all black making them darker than the stain on Yoel Romero's trunks at UFC Fight Night 35 (LOL). Bully Ray sells a fistdrop like a mix between Rod Price (the wrestler not Foghat guitarist) and Homer Simpson. More rule breaking spots than used condoms washed away by Hurricane Katrina. The brass knuckles come back to haunt Aries and he then eats a 3D like it was a baked potato with butter and sour cream. The crowd goes mild.