Pro Wrestling Only

What are you watching?

Tim Cooke

Eddie Edwards © vs. Chris Hero - ROH World Title Match 5/7/11

After muddling through Eddie's two-hour interview as part of his Eddie Edwards: Die Hard ROH DVD, I wanted to check out one of his title defenses and, admittedly, I hadn't seen any solo Chris Hero prior to this. I'm pretty in the dark on Ring of Honor stuff, which is why I really enjoy their compilation DVDs as they offer a great way to catch up without having to follow the weekly show.

Hero works the arm for the good part of the first half of the match, playing off previous Eddie injuries and for the most part Eddie obliges and sells it through out (his selling was better than I expected going in). I was cool with this as Hero's psycology here would be to limit the power moves Eddie could pull off thanks to the wounded appendage versus setting up any kind of big submission he uses (to my knowledge). They do some outside stuff, including Eddie taking a bump off the turnbuckle through a table after a kick to the head and your ROH-standard guardrail spots.

So the underlying story here is how tough Edwards is and in typical ROH fashion they totally overdo this. About midway through this 40 minute match, they pretty much resign themselves to just kicking and elbowing each other in the head. It's a bit like those G1 Summit shit-kickings, but just a pinch lighter (and those matches are considerably shorter because - REALISM). Eddie takes a TON of these elbows and Hero hits a couple overhead and cradle suplexes as well. Hero's spinning elbows are great but they mean nothing because Edwards continually kicks out, including after some prime KO spots. There's a spot after one of these where the ref won't let Hero cover, instead opting to see if Eddie can answer the ten-count. This befuddled me.

Eddie doesn't set up the single leg crab (whatever he calls it) outside of just wrenching it on whenever he can and he catches Hero in one and kicks Hero in the head while he's in the move, resulting in a KO and the ref quickly calling for the bell. It's a cool ending, even if the kicks looked a little weak given the positioning of both the guys AND the kicks they had been wailing on each other throughout the entire match. I guess I could justify this with that these were the culmination of a number of kicks, so it makes a little more sense.

In summary, if they cut out a bunch of the near falls off kick after kick and elbow after elbow and tidy this up to around 25-30 minutes, it's an AWESOME match. The build is great and the story is fine (there's even some early stuff where Sara Del Ray and Hagadon are booted from ringside by the ref). You just get burnt out of kickout after kickout and it ends up tempering some really cool nearfalls that should get a better reaction.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the latest AWA 1981 TV offerings from WWE Classics on Demand today. Two shows from November 1981, with interviews included from Sacramento and Salt Lake City. The Salt Lake ones were generic, without a card upcoming, but the Sacramento ones were promoting a 12/27/81 Battleroyal, and the indications were the show itself aired a week before, on December 20th.

Not sure if WWE added the interviews to the show (since it aired a month + before the interviews were relevant), or if the AWA just sent a show down there that was older that particular week. Either way, the interviews were nice as very few of their tv re-airings have them included due to the interviews being sent around on a separate reel for each particular market and put together by the station when they got the footage.

No non-squash matches of note on either show.

I was always curious - are these shows the first time we're seeing this footage or is this something you probably have some place already?

Bits and pieces (the odd match or two) have been out there for some time--1981 isn't a complete black hole for footage (unlike 1983, which had massive gaps in it until very recently), but not whole shows. The arena matches that have popped up recently have not been out there previously (Patera vs. Robinson, Laurent Soucie vs. Evan Johnson, Tito Santana vs. Sgt. Jacques Goulet). Same with the odd interview segments that pop up.

Watched the latest AWA 1981 TV offerings from WWE Classics on Demand today. Two shows from November 1981, with interviews included from Sacramento and Salt Lake City. The Salt Lake ones were generic, without a card upcoming, but the Sacramento ones were promoting a 12/27/81 Battleroyal, and the indications were the show itself aired a week before, on December 20th.

Not sure if WWE added the interviews to the show (since it aired a month + before the interviews were relevant), or if the AWA just sent a show down there that was older that particular week. Either way, the interviews were nice as very few of their tv re-airings have them included due to the interviews being sent around on a separate reel for each particular market and put together by the station when they got the footage.

I was always curious - are these shows the first time we're seeing this footage or is this something you probably have some place already?

Bits and pieces (the odd match or two) have been out there for some time--1981 isn't a complete black hole for footage (unlike 1983, which had massive gaps in it until very recently), but not whole shows. The arena matches that have popped up recently have not been out there previously (Patera vs. Robinson, Laurent Soucie vs. Evan Johnson, Tito Santana vs. Sgt. Jacques Goulet). Same with the odd interview segments that pop up.

How's Patera vs Robinson?

Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant, Wrestlemania III

You know what, this match is pretty damn cool. Of course you have the big atmosphere and crazy hot crowd. But it's worked pretty darn good. Hogan hope spots tend to come off pretty cool transitions (Andre missing a headbutt and hitting his head on the turnbuckle, etc) and Hogan's brief runs of offense are pretty good and of course the crowd is nuts for them. The crowd is even into Andre's extended bearhug which keeps it from being dull. You get the cool, iconic visuals like Hogan collapsing under the weight of Andre when he goes for the slam out of the gate and Hogan up in the camera selling a bodyslam; and of course there's the ending. Fun stuff and a great spectacle. If I started ranking Wrestlemania matches I'd probably surprise myself by how well this would place.

I've always loved this match. One of my fav Wrestlemania matches ever.

This. People always bitch about how Andre was past his prime and how Afro-Andre vs. Hogan would have been a better match, but we already have seen these two do a "sprint" in 1980 and it was fun for what it was. But, slow and lumbering Andre *The Giant* is way scarier and actually moves like a fairytale giant, totally playing his part here. Agree on the hope spots, Hogan running and throwing everything at Andre, and then finally knocking him down with the faling Lariat is almost as good of a visual as the Bodyslam.

I also like one of Hogan's earliest character flaws being exposed when he pulls back the mats on the floor to try in vein to piledrive Andre on the concrete, proving Hogan will do ANYTHING to win, a flaw that grows and eventually turns him to the darkside in 1996. Kinda like HBK begging the ref to countout Taker @ Mania 25: these are *good guys* but they sometimes have failings and they do *need* to win because winning a lot defines them as great. This is one of those feuds/matches that are so perfectly booked and executed that it deserves ***** even if it's not a "workrate classic" or whatev.

Anyway I'm watching Hell in a Cell 2013 at the moment, trying to catch up on bits & pieces of WWE PPV matches since Summerslam when I OD'd on goodness with Brock/Punk & Bryan/Cena. Basically just to see more Shield/Rhodes Bros because dammit Triple H set out to rebuild a great tag division and he sure has. The Unified Tag Titles have provided the best action of any title in WWE in the past 3 months easily. Lovin' it

How's Patera vs Robinson?

We get a good chunk of the match (missing maybe the first 5 minutes), but there isn't anything really special about it. I'll have to rewatch it to give a more detailed review but on first watch I felt it was just sort of "there" as a match.

Tito vs. Goulet was fun.

Savio Vega vs. Bradshaw (Caribbean Strap Match) (Mind Games 1996)

- This started off really vicious with some nasty strap shots, Bradshaw stiffing Vega and some brutal post shots on the outside. Sandman interferes in the match, leading to ECW wrestlers being ejected and as the commotion happens outside, Bradshaw grabs a headlock until they are done. Not a bad strategy since the crowd wasn't really into these two anyway but why fight an ECW interruption? After they get back on course, more stiff strap shots including Bradshaw taking a strap to the face and both guys taking wicked whiplash bumps especially Savio who wnet for a corner and ended up turning 180. Looked really good. Predictable finish with Bradshaw touching the corners, Savio secretly following and then getting the 4th corner before Bradshaw. The ECW interruption and the dead crowd doesn't help this but it was a fun match to sit through.

I tried this a few years ago and didn't get very far. But I'm trying to watch ECW from the "start" of the television so to speak. I'm 4 episodes in. It's had it's moments but isn't great so far. I'd classify the best 5 workers on the roster as Terry Funk, Eddie Gilbert, Chris Candido, Johnny Hotbody and JT Smith so far. The Rockin' Rebel is probably a distant 6th on that list.

Funk sounded rally disinterested and drunk when he was an announcer but slipped into crazy old man mode after Gilbert attacked him with a chair. So that feud is pretty good.

I tried this a few years ago and didn't get very far. But I'm trying to watch ECW from the "start" of the television so to speak. I'm 4 episodes in. It's had it's moments but isn't great so far. I'd classify the best 5 workers on the roster as Terry Funk, Eddie Gilbert, Chris Candido, Johnny Hotbody and JT Smith so far. The Rockin' Rebel is probably a distant 6th on that list.

Funk sounded rally disinterested and drunk when he was an announcer but slipped into crazy old man mode after Gilbert attacked him with a chair. So that feud is pretty good.

I tried to do that recently and only made it about fifteen episodes before giving up. My favorites were The Super Destroyers. The Funk promos are by far the best stuff though.

Good luck. Even 1994 was a chore to get through with the exception of Cactus and some of the more famous things that happened.

When do Sulli and Wonderful get replaced by Joey Styles? I think that's my biggest problem right now.

What in your guys' opinion is when ECW got really good?

I loved ECW starting in early 94, but some of that stuff is harder to watch now. Early 95 for sure is fun, maybe late 94 with the Dreamer-Sandman angles and the build beginning for the original 3-way dance.

Kevin Sullivan in Florida doing a promo surrounded by Luna & Boob Roop. He talks about Maya Singh having "penetrated places that no man has ever penetrated." Then says that Luna has "spread herself all over the country.", at which point Luna just turns away from the camera, hanging her head down, immediately followed by Roop who just stops doing the bizarre gestures he was doing to brutally turn his back and leave the frame. Sullivan himself almost cracks up and turns his back too as he was obviously giggling ! Pretty damn funny.

I watched a few pre-baldness Kurt Angle matches-specifically, the Rock matches from No Mercy and No Way Out and the Austin match from Unforgiven. It's a shame that he decided to become a poor man's Manami Toyota, because main event style brawler Kurt was a great worker. Working with Benoit ruined him.

Speaking of Benoit, I also watched his world title defense against Shawn Michaels from Raw. I'm probably more favorably disposed toward Shawn than most of this board, but even I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the match. For one thing, Shawn worked stiffer than usual. It won't make anybody forget Regal/Finlay, but he was definitely laying in his chops and forearms. Between that and the Liontamer he busted out, it might actually be his best ever performance from an offensive standpoint. Also, his selling was pleasantly understated-none of the flopping around like a dying fish he liked to engage in around that time. Unfortunately, the finish is complete dogshit. After the ref bump, I figured that Shawn would hit Sweet Chin Music and get a visual pinfall to lead into the finish. What actually happened was far worse. Here's a hit: it involves HHH.

Samoa Joe vs. Jushin Liger - TNA Bound For Glory 10/23/05

Criminally short bell-to-bell (maybe 7:30 tops), but they pack a lot into this with Liger getting in some great offense. He works Joe over for a suplex but can't lift him, so Liger stomps on his foot, shifting Joe's balance and allowing for Liger to pull it off. I love stuff like that. Liger goes up top but Joe kicks him into a seated position to pull off the muscle buster followed by the coquina clutch. Liger is out cold as his arm falls the third time. Good finish, solid match.

Watched an old episode of Shotgun from July of 1997 last night and saw two amazingly brutal squashes and thought I would share.

First up was a squash from L.O.D. who just destroyed their hapless opponents. Hawk was especially brutal, nearly snapping one dude's neck on a neck breaker. The Doomsday Device nearly literally turned the other guy inside out. Animal was ... well, just an animal.

Next was Kama just completely killing some scrawny 150-pound weakling. He bull-rushed him into the corner and completely over the top rope to the floor to start off the match. To finish, he used an Emerald Frosion type move to and just flattened the dude.