Pro Wrestling Only

What are you watching?

Tim Cooke

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the December 26, 1983 MSG WWF show last night. Who in the hell thought it was a good idea to do a post match interview with Backlund crying about losing the belt, letting his country down and not wanting to go home? You couldn't have buried a guy any deeper than that. Fun show though in the sense that Hulk Hogan didn't exist yet in the WWF Universe. I might try to start working backwards with MSG shows. I really enjoy this atmosphere withou Hogan.

Watched the Dump Matsumoto/Bull Nakano stint in 1986 WWF last night (posted about it on DVDVR's board). Then watched the two Crush Gals matches I found find on there (from Boston Garden/MSG, their other match was on TV but I couldn't find it).. so if Moolah just sunk the WWF women's division in 1988 out of jealousy towards the Bomb Angels, would it be a fair guess to think that perhaps there's a good solid reason why Crush Gals/Dump&Bull only worked 3 shows there and never came back?

Also, while it's borderline cruel to ask Gorilla Monsoon to pronounce Japanese names, he did eventually decide to just refer to "The Bull", "The Dump", and "Lioness", while also occasionally calling Nagayo "Lioness" too. The pre-match at the Garden included Monsoon asking Danny Davis on air which one was Asuka and which one was Nagayo. Also, the hilarious inability of the announcers to remember the English language tag team name of Bull/Dump

So, that was a weird little journey I took on YouTube last night

Edit: I also guess the Dump WWF run was slightly hindered by them not encouraging Dump Matsumoto to stab Velvet McIntyre until she bled. But the random people that'd make week-long runs in 1980s WWF, yeah, wow

I watched the "Devils of Japan" matches like 2 weeks ago and they were ok.

Gorilla Monsoon and Lord Alfred Hayes were hilariously awful on commentary for all 3 of Dump and Bull's matches. "Nakayoy," "Naino," etc. All Lord Alfred Hayes did was was say how how big, fat and ugly they were and Gorilla expressed how mean they were and how big their asses were which was a bit weird.

Despite not being able to carve anyone up, no crowd brawling or stablemate interference, Dump and Bull looked good I thought playing up to the crowd, heeling it up with cheap tactics and catching Velvet McIntyre's high flying comeback offense.

Went to a local independent show over this past weekend. A fun but bizarre show in front of about 50 people inside of an old Ponderosa restaurant. I enjoyed Ricky Morton vs Tarek the Great, probably the best match of the whole show. Morton was great in interacting with the fans and trying to get them into the match. Necro Butcher teamed with 2 Tuff Tony in the main event against The Soul Shooters (Dru Skillz and Apollo Starr) and they had a fun brawl featuring ladders, chairs, and assorted other items. Undercard was odd and featured a dude with a prosthetic leg, and fat guy in a mask whose work was complete garbage, and a fine, typical four way cruiserweight match among other things.

As my buddy Adam referred to a few posts above, we went to an HWA show last week feat. Ricky Morton, Necro Butcher, etc. Just posted our road report write-up of the event w/ a lot of pictures available here. Morton was a real class act and Whitmer for his bad rep as a worker online was cool as hell to talk wrestling with.

The Motor City Machine Guns vs Beer Money Ladder Match.

This is one of those matches that would be good if it were a stand-alone, but because they drum into your head that it's the start of a series, you sort of feel the booking sword of damocles hanging over it. Also, and this is where Mike Tenay as a radio announcer masquerading as a TV announcer gets annoying, the Guns never seem like they really are at home in this sort of match. If it's their advantage you'd think they'd try and do more to win the match, instead of working 50-50 in a match that is supposed to be their homefield advantage.

Afa, Sica, and Ernie Ladd vs. Junkyard Dog, Andre the Giant, and Dusty Rhodes - Mid-South Wrestling - January '82

This was a "dream match" selected via courier post by rabid fans. So much damn talent and charisma in that ring the canvas could have walked into a bar and gotten laid. I've always firmly said every sell is a choice and by golly there's tons of interesting choices being made here. I love the way early Dusy's legs instantly get rubbery and wiggly during a couple Samoan headbutts. I've never seen this many afros in one match. Record-breaking. Oh, for fu*k's sake, Ernie Ladd just sold an overhead Andre chop like a frightened old grandma seeing a specter in the hallway. I'm losing it! You can see JYD and Andre chatting on the apron discussing their favorite local spots for brisket and collard greens. Ladd breaks up an Andre pin cover with a flying leg drop directly onto his mortal coil. Great stuff.

Ethan Carter III vs. Tommy Dreamer - Tables Match - TNA One Night Only: Hardcore Justice 3

In Lowell the town Jack Kerouac built. All-black ropes and dark venue make this feel seedy in a good way. Almost as an old ECW house show energy to it with a surprisingly raucous non-traditional TNA crowd. Dreamer getting atomic dropped onto a steel guard rail never gets old. Well maybe for his taint. Great pained facial by EC3 on a suplex on the floor. The did some faux C.W. Anderson/Dreamer homage spots including the finish which was a spinebuster by EC3 through a table leaned up against the buckles that had Tommy seeing visions of Dr. Sax. Really enjoyable opener to this PPV. Carter looked better than he has on TV due to a more relaxed environment allowing him to actually work in there and show some stuff and Dreamer seemed motivated and inspired.

These are the matches I have watched so far...

Prince Devitt vs. Low-Ki vs. Taguchi (NJPW 1/4/13)

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba (NJPW 1/4/13)

Tanahashi vs. Okada (NJPW 1/4/13)

Tanahashi vs. Karl Anderson (NJPW 2/10/13)

Tanahashi vs. Okada (NJPW 4/7/13)

Am I not supposed to like Okada more than Tanahashi? Even if it isn't my style, there is something endearing about Okada. It feels like he is excited every time he executes a move that hurts his opponent.

I loved Nak/Saku and thought the April Tana/Okada match was great, but personally preferred their G1 draw and October matches.

I think Okada is supposed to be the heel when matched with Tanahashi, but he doesn't cheat or do much of anything to go out of his way and heel things up. He also clearly plays the face against Karl Anderson who's a pretty rigid heel at this point. Maybe he's more along the lines of an old school NWA who's not a straight face or heel? Perhaps someone who speaks the language could help give us a sense of how he's presented in the commentary and promos.