Pro Wrestling Only

What are you watching?

Tim Cooke

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upon finally getting to WWF Summerslam 1990 I felt I needed a break for a bit from WWF TV. Well main reason is I need to start watching WCW TV so I can see a comparrison on both promotion on the same dates.

Ive finally made a decision after much deliberating and felt the best starting point on NWA/WCW is to start with Starrcade 1983! I did want to start at the beginning of 83 but felt because of the lack of episodes available apart from a small run of what 24/7 aired I think they covered 81/82 and as all episodes of Mid Atlantic exist from the week after Starrcade is where im starting a rewatch project.

So as I start from Dec 83 episodes of Worldwide to 1984 is there any other shows that are a must for viewing this era?

Obviously WCCW Parade of Champions 1984 is due to the Title Change and the rematch in Japan but any other shows from this era I need to watch as I gather Flair did shoot Angles with the Von Erichs but unsure what else.

Watching some 1988 AWA. It's not good, but it's some of the first wrestling I watched as a kid. I didn't have cable at home, but my great-grandmother would watch me after school, and she had cable. I'd watch wrestling and then explain to her everything that happened. She was an immigrant - she'd come to the US from Italy in her teens. She never was the best at English. She doted on me with verve.

My grandmother once witnessed me giving my AWA rundown to her. She asked her - do you have any idea what he was talking about? No, she said, but he likes when I listen.

She was the best, and bad matches from the Showboat Sports Pavilion make me think of her.

Upon finally getting to WWF Summerslam 1990 I felt I needed a break for a bit from WWF TV. Well main reason is I need to start watching WCW TV so I can see a comparrison on both promotion on the same dates.

Ive finally made a decision after much deliberating and felt the best starting point on NWA/WCW is to start with Starrcade 1983! I did want to start at the beginning of 83 but felt because of the lack of episodes available apart from a small run of what 24/7 aired I think they covered 81/82 and as all episodes of Mid Atlantic exist from the week after Starrcade is where im starting a rewatch project.

So as I start from Dec 83 episodes of Worldwide to 1984 is there any other shows that are a must for viewing this era?

Obviously WCCW Parade of Champions 1984 is due to the Title Change and the rematch in Japan but any other shows from this era I need to watch as I gather Flair did shoot Angles with the Von Erichs but unsure what else.

Here's some All Japan stuff to check out if you're interested:

Best of All Japan 1984 Vol. 11:

5/26/1984

Kerry Von Erich vs. Jumbo Tsuruta - NWA World Title Match

6/2/1984

Kerry Von Erich vs. Ric Flair - NWA World Title Match

Hogan battles Ric Flair in a *snicker* career vs. career match, The Big Bubba Bossman collides with Vader, The Honky Tonk Man stinks out the joint with Johnny B Badd, Steve Austin slums with Hacksaw Duggan, The Nasty Boyz brawl with the Studd Stable, Arn Anderson fights Dustin Rhodes, Dave and Kevin Sullivan try to redefine WRESTLECRAP and more!

Tommy Seigler, Roberto Soto, & Argentina Apollo vs. The Assassin & the Hollywood Blondes

Two matchs from Ann Gunkel's ASCW just pop up on Yotube thanks to the son of Tommy Seigler.

This match has Assassin Tom Renesto teaming with Jerry Brown & a young Buddy Roberts against the clone of Rocca, Tommy Seigler & the champion of the territory, Roberto Soto. So this is quite a tasty match up.

The match is a classic Southern Tag and it's a good one.

Watching some 1988 AWA. It's not good, but it's some of the first wrestling I watched as a kid. I didn't have cable at home, but my great-grandmother would watch me after school, and she had cable. I'd watch wrestling and then explain to her everything that happened. She was an immigrant - she'd come to the US from Italy in her teens. She never was the best at English. She doted on me with verve.

Trust me, having recently watched some 1989 stuff it gets a lot worse if you stick with it! The Mat Classic segments are probably the best things on the show at that point.

Inspired by the Between the Sheets podcast, I've decided to finally delve into Smoky Mountain. I;ve got the complete TV run so plan to start at the beginning and see how far I get into it before losing interest.

I watched the first episode last night and the interviews and the closing angle were the highlights of the show. Cornette cuts the best interview, talking about how the promotions have turned wrestling into a circus and how it is now whether you want to wear a funny costume, whether you can sell dolls at Toys 'R' Us and how juiced up on steroids you are. He says how they turned pro wrestling into a joke, so he has turned his back on them, but Smoky Mountain is 'real' wrestling and he has a tag team that will revolutionize tag team wrestling like the Midnight Express once did.

Ron Wright is in his wheelchair and saying how he needs a hip and knee operation, so he is going to start scouting some talent to see if there is anyone he can sign to a contract, make some money and then get the operations he requires. Bob Armstrong is the commissioner and plans to bring back wrestling 'as it used to be, and as it should be'.

The matches aren't much cop, although Barry Horowitz does a good job with Brian Lee (who already looks hopelessly miscast as a face though) and someone by the name of the Black Scorpion gets small packaged by jobber Paul Miller. The main event was Ivan Koloff vs Bobby Fulton and Ron Wright makes his way to ringside during this one to do some scouting. Towards the end of the match he shakes Koloff's hand but appears to pass him a chain in the process with which he clocks Fulton and gets the three count. Jackie Fulton runs to ringside to tell the referee what happened, who spots the chain and then reverses the decision. Vladimir Koloff then comes out and he and Ivan proceed to beat on Jackie before hanging him with a Russian chain over the top rope. The commentators (Bob Caudle and Dutch Mantel) speculate on whether Wright really did hand Koloff the chain or not.

A very good ending to the show that makes you want to know what happens next and what is to come.

Trust me, having recently watched some 1989 stuff it gets a lot worse if you stick with it! The Mat Classic segments are probably the best things on the show at that point.

1988 is pretty bad but it is interesting to see the guys that stop by between WWF and WCW runs. ESPN never showed the 1989 stuff so I've never seen it. 1990 was pretty rancid.

The March 14, 1987 SNME. Nothing special on this show but it's a breath of fresh air when you're watching Superstars and Wrestling Challenge. The battle royal was really fun. They teased Hogan/Andre perfectly. They'd go at it a tiny bit and someone would break it up. Andre eliminates Hogan with ease to establish Hogan as an underdog. And then my favorite battle royal spot as everyone dogpiled on Andre to eliminate him. Jake/Bundy was also kind of a fun match. My wife thought the Piper tribute was hilarious as they played touching music to him acting like a complete asshole.

The downward spiral of WCW workrate rears it's head as Hulk Hogan, Sting and Dave Sullivan team up to battle The Butcher, Avalanche and Kevin Sullivan, The Honky Tonk Man stinks out the joint against Johnny B Badd, The Nasty Boyz have a sloppy brawl with Harlem Heat, Hacksaw Duggan works with an injured Steve Austin, Dustin Rhodes tries to save the show by colliding with Vader along with other action.

The March 14, 1987 SNME. Nothing special on this show but it's a breath of fresh air when you're watching Superstars and Wrestling Challenge. The battle royal was really fun. They teased Hogan/Andre perfectly. They'd go at it a tiny bit and someone would break it up. Andre eliminates Hogan with ease to establish Hogan as an underdog. And then my favorite battle royal spot as everyone dogpiled on Andre to eliminate him. Jake/Bundy was also kind of a fun match. My wife thought the Piper tribute was hilarious as they played touching music to him acting like a complete asshole.

What did they replace "My Way" with?

An absolutely brutal card sees Hulk Hogan battle "The Butcher" in the headline act of the biggest show of the year, Sting collides with the massive Avalanche, Hacksaw Duggan brawls with Vader, Mr. T "wrestles" with Kevin Sullivan, The Nasty Boyz have a stinker with Harlem Heat, Johnny B Badd tries to shine against Arn Anderson, and Alex Wright grapples with Jean Paul Levesque...

David Von Erich vs. Mark Lewin (1979)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iLvPhLzfU8

Good four minute brawl largely based on punching each other in the face. I was always led to believe Lewin wasn't a good worker, but that might have just been that he had a formula and/or short brawls. But both of these guys looked pretty violent, and this is the sort of thing that I'd pay to see brought back for a longer go-around the following week.

The MegaPowers headline against the dastardly duo of Kevin Sullivan and The Butcher, Sting squares off with the massive Avalanche, Harlem Heat defends their gold in a bout with Stars and Stripes, Alex Wright tries to go sky high with Bobby Eaton and Arn Anderson battles Johnny B Badd - plus all sorts of backstage news and notes from the era!

Sonjay Dutt vs. DJ Z vs. Tigre Uno - TNA X Division Championship Match - TNA iMPACT Wrestling 8/26/15

Horribly botched double-hiptoss early on Tigre dumping him on his smelly mask. Dutt wishing he was back working CZW shows in '07. DJ Z's manic blue mohawk screams Hot Topic discount rack and he sells an apron somersault not unlike one of that store's part-time employees might. "Hey man, I'm hitting up the food court on break, you guys want anything?" Some absurd offense. "Here, let me make you do a backflip so you can land face-first on my knee" which is overkill yet made completely meaningless when no contact was actually made. Dutt wrestles with the conviction of a kid playing one of the Three Wise Men in a Christmas pageant but has recently started to self-identify as Yazidi. The finish was real bad. The announcers called it a "Frog Splash" but it looked more like a kid splashing into a backyard pool, stiffly and awkwardly and as forgettable as that morning's Pan a la Catalana.

Flipping around YouTube and caught Flash Funk vs. Rocky Maivia (8/23/97) on an event seemingly called "WWF New York"? Ross and Cornette are on commentary doing some pretty surprising calls. Aside from JR's usual mention of Maivia as a "dominating defensive lineman" at Miami, his response to the Rock escaping a leglock was to deem it "shades of Tony Charles", to which Cornette yells "Tony Charles!" Ross then calls the finish of the match - the Rock Bottom - by simply yelling "Hase!", then explaining, "that move, the Uranage, or whatever you wanna call it, made famous by Japanese wrestler Hiroshi Hase." Somewhere in between Cornette heels on the New Jersey crowd by calling them "bean eaters", claiming that most of the citizens of the state are in jail.

This all seemed like the sort of stuff that would have gotten them both chewed out by Vince backstage, but it was all so loose that one wonders if Vince even watched this show. Solid five minute match too: Scorpio was visibly moving Rock through it, but it was well put together.

WWF New York was literally Shotgun Saturday Night but with commentary geared towards the New York audience, for the purpose of airing in New York markets. I remember it airing on TV-55 over here in New York. The show even featured Vince Russo on commentary at one point, but I don't remember if it was him or him doing his Vic Venom thing.