Pro Wrestling Only

What are you watching?

Tim Cooke

I had this sent to me on another site. It's pretty cool.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/Manitoba/ID/2665751163/

Courtesy of Clawmaster's Archives, here is the card the footage came from:

12/6/79 Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada @ Arena
Canadian Heavyweight Title Match, AWA Title not on the line
Canadian Champion Dino Bravo beat AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel via pin after an airplane spin
AWA Tag Team Champions Verne Gagne & Mad Dog Vachon beat Super Destroyer Mark II & Super Destroyer Mark III
Referee Joe Fiorino
Adrian Adonis & Jesse Ventura beat Steve Olsonoski & Angelo Mosca dq when Mosca hit referee Fiorino
Greg Gagne beat Bob Brown Jr with a sleeper hold in 13:00
Ricky Hunter beat Ron Ritchie
Peter Sandor Szabo drew Buck Zumhofe 20:00

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vader and Cactus Jack engage in a bloody brawl, Ricky Steamboat steals the show with Mr. Wonderful, Steve Austin grapples with Dustin Rhodes, Lord Steven Regal attempts to avoid the bite of the Bulldog, Sting takes the measure of Sid Vicious, Rick Rude tries to wear down The Nature Boy and other action!

Canadian Champion Dino Bravo beat AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel via pin after an airplane spin

AWA Tag Team Champions Verne Gagne & Mad Dog Vachon beat Super Destroyer Mark II & Super Destroyer Mark III

Referee Joe Fiorino

Adrian Adonis & Jesse Ventura beat Steve Olsonoski & Angelo Mosca dq when Mosca hit referee Fiorino

I love my country. Achieving things like this is so cool. How much stuff does the CBC have? I wonder if PBS or BBC or other publicly funded channels have anything as well.

Atlantis, Blue Panther, Stuka Jr. vs Bárbaro Cavernario, Negro Casas, Shocker - CMLL 4/21/15

Spring is in the air, the neighborhood has come alive with trees radiantly green, and lucha is cued up. Past versus present gets things underway as Panther's face has more crags in it than Edward James Olmos' and the caveman Bárbaro is game to test his mettle against the legend. Nicely done short segment has Panther get dominant position on the mat but young Cavernario was too spry to be held down and would pop right back up. I wonder if McMahon paid for Shocker's breast job. Stuka wrestles in a cut-off t-shirt with his own visage on it. Atlantis schools the opposition making all three members of the opposing team look foolhardy. Stuka gets decent air on a splash off the top on Cavernario to take the first fall. I nominate Atlantis for the next Avengers movie.

Back to Bárbaro and Panther to get us underway on the segunda caida. Bárbaro utilizing his speed and unhinged wildness. Shocker takes down Stuka and starts karate posing and thrusting like he's vintage Ricky Steamboat. Stuka goes to dive out to the floor but Shocker and Cavernario race out of harm's way. Finally Casas enters the action and goes right after Atlantis' mid-section and then his leg. Negro wastes zero movement then tags in Shocker to capitalize on the wounded prey. Oddly placed commercial disorients me but it appears Atlantis tapped to Shocker to tie things up.

Apparently my video drops audio during the last fall. Casas is great taunting Atlantis then we pan over to Bárbaro wildly stomping Panther like some sort of mugging. Cavernario is so good -- definitely in my Top 20 WotY list. Things breaking down as Casas tries to get distance from Atlantis, there's brawling on the floor, and general chaos. Stuka hits a big tope on Shocker on the floor. Atlantis and Casas exchange strikes. I really liked the slick, quick ending, as while grappling Negro lifts his leg up behind him directly into Atlantis' gonads, then Casas spins around rapidly hitting a lariat to end thing suddenly. Really good trios action and what has been a real fun first third of lucha in 2015.

I just got about 70-80 hours of CCW TV from 1986-89. I haven't seen anything really from there before. If I'm not mistaken it was a precursor of sorts to ECW, very angle heavy. Should be interesting either way. I'm not gonna recap every little thing just offer a few thoughts on each episode as I watch.

The first episode I have is from 1/11/86.

I love this from the start as the opening theme is the first 30 seconds of Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time"

Gordon Solie as host. I'm 30 so he was a little before my time, I've only really heard him sporadically throughout the years, but I always kind of found him a little on the boring side. I'll admit to mostly hearing him way late into his career though.

You can totally see the early similarities with ECW here. Highlights based, angle-centric TV program. Super hot crowds in a tiny building. Music videos.

Not saying the angles are the same, just that you can see a general template for the layout of 90's ECW TV.

Most of the show featured promos/highlights from a feud between Norvell Austin and Adrian Street. Austin recently defeated Street for the Southeast Title and the rematch is being built,including a feud between their valets (Lady Maxine & Miss Linda) These guys are both great interviews and the studio crowd is going nuts for everything.

I really liked this and will definitely watch more of these episodes. The only problem is they're 30 year old VHS rips and the quality very randomly ranges from VG to complete garbage. If the first episode is any indication, I'll be able to watch about half of every hour, which still isn't so bad considering this shit is awsome.

Referee Joe Fiorino

This is so cool. Winnipeg's my hometown but I missed out on the AWA. Saw quite a few WWF house shows, and the godawful IYH IV in that arena though.

I just got about 70-80 hours of CCW TV from 1986-89. I haven't seen anything really from there before. If I'm not mistaken it was a precursor of sorts to ECW, very angle heavy. Should be interesting either way. I'm not gonna recap every little thing just offer a few thoughts on each episode as I watch.

I love this from the start as the opening theme is the first 30 seconds of Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time"

Gordon Solie as host. I'm 30 so he was a little before my time, I've only really heard him sporadically throughout the years, but I always kind of found him a little on the boring side. I'll admit to mostly hearing him way late into his career though.

You can totally see the early similarities with ECW here. Highlights based, angle-centric TV program. Super hot crowds in a tiny building. Music videos.

Not saying the angles are the same, just that you can see a general template for the layout of 90's ECW TV.

Most of the show featured promos/highlights from a feud between Norvell Austin and Adrian Street. Austin recently defeated Street for the Southeast Title and the rematch is being built,including a feud between their valets (Lady Maxine & Miss Linda) These guys are both great interviews and the studio crowd is going nuts for everything.

I really liked this and will definitely watch more of these episodes. The only problem is they're 30 year old VHS rips and the quality very randomly ranges from VG to complete garbage. If the first episode is any indication, I'll be able to watch about half of every hour, which still isn't so bad considering this shit is awsome.

I just watched all the 1986 CCW I could find last year. You might be interested in checking out my thread while you're going through the year: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/25678-southeasterncontinental-championship-wrestling/

I just watched all the 1986 CCW I could find last year. You might be interested in checking out my thread while you're going through the year: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/25678-southeasterncontinental-championship-wrestling/

Awsome, yeah I'm just starting 1986. This weekend I plan on going through a good chunk of it. It's a really fun little show so far.

I started revisiting every old episode of the (formerly NWA) Championship Wrestling From Hollywood television show towards the tail end of last year. It got off to a hot start - mostly thanks to my time off around the holidays - but it's really taken a back seat to other priorities lately.

Anyhow, I'm still (slowly) treading through the series. It's incredibly enjoyable viewing on a consistent basis, with almost every episode delivering at least one standout match. I've always said - and still stand by the statement - that this show, to me, is like a precursor to what we later got with things like the NXT 2012 reboot & even Lucha Underground today.

The format is a fun freaking throwback approach to the old studio shows of the past. And there's a real sense of continuity among all the story arcs. For the most part, angles aren't abruptly shuffled or shifted around without reason. Almost everything feels connected & carried out to its intended purpose. Just good stuff through & through.

I'm smack dab in the middle of Pearce's baby face redemption run. The whole "One Last Ride" thing is tremendous. It's (of course) elevated by the fact that Pearce pitches some of these promos like a pro. Guy's preaching freaking sermons here. Talking about leaving his newborn baby at home to take "One Last Ride" with the leather & gold, etc. It's just classic stuff. And don't get me started on the Pearce/Colt program. My god. This is wrestling done right. Feels precisely like what we'd get from the territory days.

But yeah. Pearce gets a lot of flack in some circles, but I really dig the guy. He absolutely RUINS & flattens people with that Piledriver, and (with the One Last Ride angle) he's recently started to incorporate the Lariat as a backup finisher in his arsenal. He takes it a step further by psyching out his opponents with them both as a sort of one-two punch. He'll tuck 'em in for a Piledriver, then when they pull back? BAM. Lariatoooh.

Other things, like the formation of Team P-P-Ray... the genesis of the Scorpio Sky Experience, with Big Duke as the "strength coach" and the introduction of a super agent... just so many neat things. I think I last left off with Johnny Goodtime returning and first teaming with Joey Ryan. I've seen this stuff before, but I honestly don't remember the details of Yuma & Goodtime splitting. So this is really refreshing to go back & immerse myself in it all over again.

The Colt & Pearce program only gets better from here (with the 7 Stages coming up), and that alone would be enough to keep me moving onward with this little re-watch project of mine. Haven't decided if I'll do the same for Traditional Championship Wrestling or possibly Booker's PWA/Reality next. Course, that's gonna be awhile down the road anyway. :D

With the company in free fall, WCW turns to Ric Flair to save the day as he clashes with the monstrous Vader, Sting and Hawk battle the Nasty Boyz in a 30 minute match full of botchamania moments, The Boss lays down the law on Rick Rude, Ricky Steamboat attempts to out grapple Lord Steven Regal, Dustin Rhodes scuffles with Steve Austin, The Shockmaster stinks up the joint with Awesome Kong...plus other action!

1997 WWF TV. I haven't watched that stuff since it happened. Kinda makes me feel a bit old, but it's awesome revisiting this period which has been my favourite ever for the WWF (and watching wrestling as it happened), up until SummerSlam 98.

Watched the Duggan 1988 WWF Timeline last night. It was nothing earth-shattering but it was better than I thought it would be.

I also watched a mixed disc that started off with a Bruiser Brody vs. Ox Baker match from Portland, Maine in 1986, seemingly pro-shot from a single ringside camera. Weird pairing and one I wish had happend when Ox was at least a little bit mobile.

I have watched about 4-5 weeks of USA Championship Wrestling. That's the Knoxville promotion that Ron Fuller started in 1988 after selling Continental to David Woods. It's really fun with a mix of Continental & Memphis guys with some old Knoxville stars like Mongolian Stomper & Ron Wright as the lead manager. Bill Dundee is the booker and it kind of feels like this is a bridge between Continental and SMW at times.

I'd like to say that Buddy Landel is the highlight of the promotion because he's been really fun on promos but he looks a little out of shape in the ring and Ron Wright has actually been the star to me on promos. The Bullet is also easily the best of the babyface bunch with Doug Furnas really struggling at times as they try and push him as one of the top babyfaces due to him being a local star in Knoxville.

I almost forgot that Mike Davis has been a revelation as part of the Rock N Roll RPMS. Just a fantastic heel promo and really outshines his partner Tommy Lane in that department. Haven't seen enough of them in the ring yet to really form an opinion but I love all their promos trashing "The Party Boys" Johnny & Davey Rich. Speaking of Johnny & Davey, there has never been a more miscast "ladies men" tag team in any wrestling that I've seen. Johnny makes Robert Gibson look like he deserves to be on the cover of Teen Beat.

Just started wading through this and thought exactly the same thing in terms of this and Smokey Mountian has a very similar look and feel. Buddy Landell and his loaded glove is a nice simple gimmick that seems to work very well here, and his promos are great. But your right Ron Wright seems to have his role down to a tee as Stomper and Dog manager.

Very true about Davis and Lane, it's probably why Davis is the only person to ever sit down out of the two with Solie for their promos and Lane just stands in the back ground looking mean. The Rich boys look like they will have the hands full with the RPM's.

Nazi Ron Wright was the best. I also loved heel Hector Guerrero teaming with Buddy in that promotion. It didn't last long but that was a fun promotion. Have you gotten to the Miss USA Championship Wrestling contest yet?

I've personally never seen much of Hector, let alone pictured him as a heel, seems a useful addition to the upper midcard . Looking at the ring girl, can only imagine how dire this contest will be when I get to it.

No I'm only through the first two weeks of April so far but that sounds like a reason to keep watching. Oh! I didn't mention how often they plug their wrestling school run by Buddy Fuller. $2000 for 8 weeks of training. I haven't heard of anyone ever coming out of this school and becoming a successful wrestler so I'm assuming they tired guys out at the gym for hours in the morning and then stretched them on the mat to try and make them quit in the afternoons.

Not only plug it but remind everyone they must be 180 pounds at least as they will naturally put on 30-40 pounds while they train in the gym.

But overall enjoying the product, Bullet Bob and Superkick Scott are great faces and Terry Gordy must be scaring the shit out of the local after that hype video of him charging into Japanesse fans in All Japan.

Currently watching a lot of current stuff, practically any promotion that puts on good stuff, as I always feel behind in some way, other than that I'll occasionally take a day and dive into some older puro I have, but now there is so much older lucha online I may start diving into that real soon.

There's just so much out there. I'm tempted to get a few months here or there from Lynch, something like the first quarter of 1998 CMLL TV (hypothetically), just something where there isn't a lot of information for online and not a lot of reviews, etc, in order to map it out for people, but I can't rationalize the cost when there's so much I haven't seen out there for free.

Glad you're enjoying it, I kind of fell off in my watching somewhere around May. (1986 Continental is the only actual viewing project I've ever completed so this is not unusual)

Just out of interest what filled the void between this closing down and Smokey opening up in 1991?

Nothing as far as I know.

EDIT: Continental went back to running Knoxville some after USA closed down, but I couldn't tell you if that was a regular town for them or not. Continental closed down near the end of 1989.