Pro Wrestling Only

What are you watching?

Tim Cooke

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing as far as I know.

EDIT: Continental went back to running Knoxville some after USA closed down, but I couldn't tell you if that was a regular town for them or not. Continental closed down near the end of 1989.

USA was sold to David Woods by Fuller. The Stud sold him both the Continental and USA promotions. Woods bought USA and just merged into CWF , which really does not make a whole of business sense. CWF did run East Tennessee .

I know that the USWA TV ran in Knoxville after CWF closed down. I don't think that Jarrett and Lawler every ran live shows in Knoxville.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wcw-superbrawl-94/#.VXLIS89Viko Dual Thundercage matches headline as Ric Flair collides with Vader, Sting,Dustin Rhodes and Brian Pillman brawl with Rick Rude, Steve Austin and Mr. Wonderful, The Nasty Boyz try to eviscerate Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne, Arn Anderson faces Lord Steven Regal in a marathon of a match, along with an embarrassingly bad undercard full of roided up rookies.

Halfway through an old CZW tape (Aftermath 2003) that I grabbed at random. CZW were my US indy of choice when I first started to explore wrestling outside of WWF/WCW, so it's quite fun to revisit these shows, even if a lot of these guys are a lot sloppier and less talented than I remember. So far, there's been a couple of CZW rookie matches that were actually ok, a really fun hardcore match between Nick Gage and Nate Hatred, a decent match between Jonny Storm and Nick Berk (that the crowd couldn't care less about) and an overbooked mess between the Backseat Boys and Adam Flash/Ian Knoxx (that the crowd loved).

I'm trying to binge watch my 10 disc Southwest 82-83 set. Halfway thru Disc 2 I have to say that I do not care for Adrian Adonis here at all. His promos are all over the place and his matches haven't been all that good (although that is somewhat typical of this promotion as a whole)

Tully is great here but it's kind of weird how much he gets put over as tough by Steve Stack the announcer while Tully the character is such a piece of shit who hides behind people like bounty hunters and seems to never want to defend the Southwest title.

Was surprised to see this isn't on the 1991 yearbook. Onita carries some judo guy to a very entertaining match. This is ostensibly a shoot-style deal, but it's Onita so of course there's some goofiness in there. Of all the martial arts guys I've seen face Onita, Verichev seems the most capable of what is asked of him, which is mostly to toss Onita around a whole bunch while Onita sells his ass off. Really enjoyed this.

2wrjfgh.jpg

I watched that today. That is Eric Embry's face under all that blood. Southwest is starting to grow on me a little bit more although it's still not a very good in ring territory even from the clips we get of the arena. Even the stuff with Ricky Morton teaming with Ken Lucas against The Grapplers hasn't done much for me and I like all those guys.

I don't know if you guys know this but Tully Blanchard is pretty good on the mic. He's head and shoulders above everyone else, including Adrian Adonis who seems to get the 2nd most mic time after Tully and continues to be a guy that I do not like. I like fat flower shop Adrian way more than this one. Bobby Jaggers is slowly starting to grow on me after not really liking him at first. Eric Embry is the most fun person to watch in the ring out of the territory although I just got into some Quick Draw Rick McGraw stuff and he might be able to challenge.

Tully just cut a great promo at the end of the last disc I watched with him calling out champions from all over the place in the classic wrestling bullshit way from the Mid-Atlantic champion Dick Slater, the Florida Champ Mike Graham on to Southern Champ Jerry Lawler. Tully, the guy who never wants to defend his Southwest title calls out only the people who he knows aren't going to be there.

I don't know if Lovefilm is a "thing" in the US, but it's basically a postal DVD rental where you create a list of DVD's you'd like to watch and they mail them to you at random. They only agreed a deal with the WWE last year, so their wrestling section consisted of a load of TNA, assorted Big Vision stuff like 3PW and XPW, and a few odds and sods. Suffice to say, I've been sent quite of lot of bad wrestling to watch from Lovefilm, but in spite of this I'm always quite excited when it's wrestling they send rather than a film. The last disc they sent me was LPWA Wild Things. I'd heard of the LPWA, but I didn't know much about them. Didn't know if they were a serious promotion, or one of those GLOW/Wrestlicious products that wasn't quite so serious. Having watched it, there were certainly a few terrible gimmicks, my favourite being "the Desert Rose" Sheeba, who turned face, rediscovered her American roots and hilariously started coming to the ring to "Born In The USA".

The wrestling was mostly terrible, though a few people clearly stood out as having some ability. The match between Susan Sexton and Leilani Kai was easily the best match, just by virtue of little things like Sexton actually working a hold and Kai selling it. A lot of bouts seemed to involve one lady casually holding her opponents foot, letting go and letting her opponent hold their arm in return. Aside from that, Reggie Bennett and the imaginitively-named Bad Girl had some decent power moves, and La Gata seemed decent enough, but the likes of The Goddess and the afore-mentioned Sheeba were wretched.

Still watching All Japan Classics. Pat O'Connor and Ken Mantell vs. Jumbo Tsuruta and Akihisa Takachio 12/2/74 was highly entertaining. I liked the way O'Connor and Mantell just bullied the inexperienced Jumbo but gave him hope spots and comebacks at just the right time.

Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat try and capture magic in a bottle one more time as they collide for the World title, Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne brawl with the Nasty Boyz in one of WCW's most violent matches ever, Lord Regal tries to ground Flyin' Bryan, Muta tries to out wrestle Steve Austin, Dustin Rhodes and Bunkhouse Buck bleed all over the place, Rick Rude and Sting meet in their final PPV encounter and Vader collides with the Boss! One of the best WCW PPVs ever!

The Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Nick Bockwinkel matches. At least two of the matches. I liked the one where Jumbo won the AWA Title quite a bit. Felt suitably epic and a big deal that Jumbo won the belt. The rematch I didn't like as much. Terry Funk was really annoying as the guest referee in the second match. He stayed out of the way mostly in the first match but kept interjecting himself in the rematch. I also don't know what the fuck Joe Higuchi was doing during the rematch as well.

Mil Mascaras vs. The Destroyer 10/9/73. I remember liking another of their matches more but this was really fun. The Destroyer really brings out the best in Mil.

Giant Baba vs. The Sheik 4/28/73. I'm not a big fan of the Sheik but his stuff with Baba has been really fun. Baba not showing fear and using the Sheik's tactics against him is an enjoyable dynamic to watch.

There’s a cool Mano Negra v. Santo tournament match from 96 that has Negra working over a cut on Santo’s thumb, which is something I can’t say I have really seen before. Negra makes it work with plenty of biting and bending. It’s kind of frustrating, as the show has an hour and half of AAA, and then 30 minutes of CMLL with Santo/Negra being JIP.

That's awesome, I did not know they ever were on TV. I'll watch that right now.

The other guy is small time wrestler Barba Negra (Raul Rodriguez).

In one of these interesting wrestling stories: the original Robots R2/C3 wrestled in Mexico City but they had a disagreement with the magazine that created the gimmick, so they basically became independent wrestlers all over the country. Eventually two new guys took the masks (Rebelde, a veteran by then, and Rodriguez), with support from the magazine.

There was a nasty war of words, and a feud was teased, but eventually the two Robot R2 became a short lived tag team after the original C3 got injured. However the original R2 hit it off with the second C3 so they became a regular tag team all over the country where they could make money without having to give a percentage to the magazine. The second R2 kept working for EMLL and was eventually unmasked as Rebelde.