Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

I played Legends up until I moved, because the guy that got me into the game had all of the Legends stuff. It breaks my budget keeping up with the indy releases, so I've never gotten around to picking up all the Legends stuff for myself.

I think the Indy stuff is really getting flooded. The Indy stuff isn't my thing, but glad we've been able to get Styles, etc

Not sure you've seen them, but if you want any created guys, feel free to browse my stuff

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LegendsOfWrestlingBootlegs/info?prop=eupdate

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's often enough blood finishes that are the referee stoppages, I should know as I enter them into a database. Only prior to 1975 you have more classic instances, then it is often enough an injury stoppage. The interesting part of it is when a wrestler either loses or wins a fall but can't continue in a 2 out of 3 Falls setting. There are even instances where a wrestler won the first fall but couldn't continue.

And yeah, attention to detail is important... or rather should be. If I consider that Euro crowds 100 years had a 10 minute full nelson struggle as the high spot of the match if not the complete show - man, things have changed.

I don't pay much attention to movie news, but apparently Hercules starring the Rock bombed pretty bad.

It's gotten positive buzz and has already recouped its budget, which was at $100 million (and brought in close to $120 million). You'll see it between 130-150.It wasn't going to be Guardians or Transformers, but I think it's respectable

Wildcat, I will check out those files, and I forwarded the link to my buddy who is super into legends.

As for the whole Gulak/Thatcher/Busick style question...

If we are 100% certain that Gulak is also Soldier Ant, I have to say he is one of the better all around wrestlers I have seen in a long time.

Wildcat, I will check out those files, and I forwarded the link to my buddy who is super into legends.

As for the whole Gulak/Thatcher/Busick style question...

If we are 100% certain that Gulak is also Soldier Ant, I have to say he is one of the better all around wrestlers I have seen in a long time.

Tell him I'd definitely like feedback

Scary update on AAA's El Rey Show from Cubsfan's Lucha blog.

Take the time to read it. It is worth it.

On the latest MLW Radio podcast, Konnan mentions the plan was to tape AAA El Rey show at the end of August over 3 days. That plan may change to early September, because they want to use guys who are working PWG’s Battle of Los Angeles and they would be unavailable. That tournament starts 08/29. The El Rey tapings will take place in Los Angeles at a building El Rey owns, but Konnan was not allowed to say where. That suggests it’s a closed set (a building they’re filling with extra and not fans, as with previous LA based wrestling projects.)

Pushing the tapings back to the following weekend would mean a conflict with the AAA tapings in Mexico, but that may actually be an issue. (It may be pushed back later than that, as everything has been so far.) I don’t have the rest of this information confirmed, it’s very second and third handy, but it’s also clearly word that’s gotten out to various people the last few weeks based on bits and pieces which have turned up elsewhere: my impression is that the El Rey show will heavily use wrestlers from the US and not be built around those from AAA Mexico. There was a plan all along to bring in some US indy guys to augment the roster and to work as the evil lucha hating opposition. It’s going to be more than now. My impression is people in charge somewhere along the line decided those watching the show wouldn’t be able to tell the ethnicity of the people under the mask and gear, and then also decided it would just be easier to use Americans. And so it’s a show now waiting to tape based on the availability of the Southern California indy guys and not so much the Mexicans. This would not be an AAA call – they don’t have the reigns here – but more likely a Mark Burnett decision since he’s producing.

(I’m completely unclear if this means there will be a whole bunch of new characters for AAA US or if they’ll be “US” versions of the existing AAA characters. I don’t even want to think about it much, honestly.)

If this is right – and again, this is unconfirmed but based on what I’ve heard the last few weeks – that would also greatly harm if not killed the greater idea of a touring promotion. The US Indy guys can get work on their own, aren’t tied to AAA in the same way the Mexicans are, and really just playing a role on a TV show than working on a wrestling gimmick. I’ve also heard vague notions about the show being way out there in a way where it might not translate well to a traveling promotion. PWInsider alluded to that. It was asked elsewhere if this show would be like the “Power Rangers”, and I’m not sure I can rule that out. The little I know suggests the show is more an active adventure stage show than a sports event; people do travel around doing those shows (occasionally On Ice), but that’s a lot different product than AAA is presenting in Mexico. At any rate, the TV show is being produce like a TV show, and not something supposed to lead to AAA touring the Southwest or any of the big ideas they had when this project started

This El Rey show, whatever it’s called, may actually turn out to be good. The guys in PWG put on a really great shows and the knowledge about the concept is so thin that I don’t want to knock it before I’ve seen. It also may yet turn out successful in itself; El Rey doesn’t really have much reach on it’s own, but there’s been consistent talk about the show eventually reairing on Univision and that’d be a difference maker.

At the same time, this would be a complete disappointment in terms of what AAA planned and promoted for this project. They might get their name out to the US, but even that’s not a sure thing – they might call it something else. What AAA has for sure is credit and some money for coming up with the idea, but they may be legally bound to a product that doesn’t have much else to do with them and prevents them from making a better deal elsewhere. (AGAIN.) AAA loudly declared they were coming to the US. Something which credits AAA at the end of the show may be coming to the US, but the promotion itself does not appear to be expanding out of Mexico.

Rarely have I wanted people to start yelling at me about getting a story wrong than this one. It’s depressing. I have a lot more thoughts about this, but the story’s more interesting than anything I think.

I don't pay much attention to movie news, but apparently Hercules starring the Rock bombed pretty bad.

It's gotten positive buzz and has already recouped its budget, which was at $100 million (and brought in close to $120 million). You'll see it between 130-150.It wasn't going to be Guardians or Transformers, but I think it's respectable

These kinds of movies always seem to recoup their budget, if not here than overseas. Dwayne is definitely a movie star, but he's always kind of hovered just above B-movie status (the big studio films he does wind up doing are either slotted in late summer like this one was, or is a sequel to an established franchise) and hasn't worked with the kind of director or material that knows all of his strengths and can work to them well. I always thought Tony Scott could have done something with him if Denzel ever stopped working with him.

So I guess we should expect JBL to make random comments about Deadspin being full of basement dwellers if Vince gets sight of this. It's nothing new to those paying attention, but it's nice to see someone calling out pro wrestling on its bullshit.

What does Bobby Heenan's cancer have to do with the wrestling industry? I hate articles like this.

So I guess we should expect JBL to make random comments about Deadspin being full of basement dwellers if Vince gets sight of this. It's nothing new to those paying attention, but it's nice to see someone calling out pro wrestling on its bullshit.

What does Bobby Heenan's cancer have to do with the wrestling industry? I hate articles like this.

I don't believe that the author was directly tying Heenan's cancer to the wrestling industry. I believe that he was using Heenan as a metaphor for the wrestlers: Someone that used his voice to ask for dignity, literally rendered voiceless, has much in common with the wrestlers, who need to ask for dignity from promoters, but whom are figuratively rendered voiceless.