Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Eduardo James

I don't know how old this is, but I don't care:

Behold: WWE Superstars...Transformed

Santino as Scorpion from Mortal Kombat

10_Santino_1.jpg

Kofi Kingston wearing the results of fusing Rey Mysterio and a zebra together

07_Kofi_Kingston_1.jpg

Brock Lesnar as a proud member of the Gay Steel Workers of America.

03_Brock_Lesnar_1.jpg

WWE.com can be pretty fucking bizarre.

The recent discussion that I can't find now about the 'smartness' of fans back in the day has me thinking - if we accept that people always knew that wrestling wasn't on the level, when did the perception change from wrestling being a fake/rigged sport to being a show?

I'd wager in the 80s when the WWF started the Rock n' Wrestling stuff. While it was great for business it also kind of ended any pretense that it was anything but a show.

That was also when I first recall Vince dropping a few "sports entertainment" bombs in his commentary (lest anyone think that's a new invention).

I'd wager in the 80s when the WWF started the Rock n' Wrestling stuff. While it was great for business it also kind of ended any pretense that it was anything but a show.

That was also when I first recall Vince dropping a few "sports entertainment" bombs in his commentary (lest anyone think that's a new invention).

I think by WrestleMania II they were billing it as "sports-entertainment." PWI shit all over that.

How well known was back in the day that Kerry Von Erich was wrestling with one foot missing? During a Legends of Wrestling roundtable (maybe the one about Families) Okerlund mentioned that people knew because of the AWA boot incident. However JJ Dillon apparently didn't know as Kerry would show up in wrestling gear and leave without showering, and that people just figured that was just Kerry being weird and coked up.

The guy moved remarkably well and without actually knowing it would be hard to be sure of it, but I can't see how other wrestlers wouldn't know unless most figured it was just a crazy wrestling rumour.

I'm wanting to start watching Memphis' weekly TVs, what date would make the best entry point?

As a Memphis guy that started watching in 81, if you can watch anything before that, especially when Jarrett took over in 77. But like Steenalized stated , it's just not out there. You really start seeing consistent stuff around 1980.

I'm about 5 years out of the loop on lucha and was wanting to get back into it. Which product is better now? Are those Best of CMLL 2014 DVDs worth grabbing off IVP for the $1.39 a shot?

CMLL is the best promotion in Mexico (if not the world). There was a lot of great stuff already this year, especially the tournament. So, I would say those are worth it.

I'm wanting to start watching Memphis' weekly TVs, what date would make the best entry point?

As a Memphis guy that started watching in 81, if you can watch anything before that, especially when Jarrett took over in 77. But like Steenalized stated , it's just not out there. You really start seeing consistent stuff around 1980.

You've got to start with the TV that's available in the summer of 79 because that covers the Dundee/Lawler-Farris/Latham feud and the Tupelo Concession Brawl, one of the more famous programs in the history of the territory. You also get Hogan coming in to defend Brutus (14 years before they built a WM off that), an awesome Gilberts-Waynes family feud, the Freebirds randomly coming in and having a 20 minute TV match with Lawler and Dundee, and then Lawler as a heel having TV matches with Ricky Morton and Steve Regal and torturing Jerry Jarrett. It's fantastic. Don't skip that stuff, especially since 1980 is kind of a down year with Lawler out.

You've got to start with the TV that's available in the summer of 79 because that covers the Dundee/Lawler-Farris/Latham feud and the Tupelo Concession Brawl, one of the more famous programs in the history of the territory. You also get Hogan coming in to defend Brutus (14 years before they built a WM off that), an awesome Gilberts-Waynes family feud, the Freebirds randomly coming in and having a 20 minute TV match with Lawler and Dundee, and then Lawler as a heel having TV matches with Ricky Morton and Steve Regal and torturing Jerry Jarrett. It's fantastic. Don't skip that stuff, especially since 1980 is kind of a down year with Lawler out.

You forgot to mention Lawler sporting a ridiculous Bruno perm, lol

You're actually spot on with everything, it's just basically various, but fantastic, clips from that time. If only Jarrett could have saved his tapes

Thanks to Bix's What Culture article on wrestlers' talk show appearances, I was watching the Andy Kaufman and Lawler appearance on Letterman. Letterman's a wrestling fan and Kaufman was a national celebrity at that point, but how well known was Lawler? Of course people from the Memphis territory would know him, but would someone from Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta, or most importantly New York know a lot?

Thanks to Bix's What Culture article on wrestlers' talk show appearances, I was watching the Andy Kaufman and Lawler appearance on Letterman. Letterman's a wrestling fan and Kaufman was a national celebrity at that point, but how well known was Lawler? Of course people from the Memphis territory would know him, but would someone from Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta, or most importantly New York know a lot?

Good question. This is just my opinion, but among mainstream, I really don't think he was known at all at the time. I think among wrestling fans, he was well known because he was basically an "attention whore" in that he'd always pitch ideas to Apter to get him featured in magazines. Well, I'm guessing it depended how many fans read the magazines.

I'm pretty sure Letterman didnt know him before the show, although he did work for Dick the Bruiser