Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

man, papa shango really was the katie vick of his day huh? the latter was why i stopped watching regularly, while the former scared the heck out of me since i was a kid at the time. stuff like that & nailz was perfect for me at the time, just as the new age outlaws were later on.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Random stuff I've encountered this week at work...

Sting's son, Steven Borden, is the starting tight end for the University of Kentucky football team (yes, they have a football team). My friend Mike did a story on him: http://www.wdrb.com/story/26539416/son-of-sting

Also, one of my coworkers found out that Slick is a reverend in Louisville now. He's trying to set up an interview with him. I'll most likely get to shoot it. Way more excited about that than I probably should be!

- Courtesy of WrestlingDVDNews.com, below is the full content listing for WWE's "Macho Man: The Randy Savage Story" set that comes out on November 17th.

DISC 1

Documentary

- Driven to Perfection

- Bred to Achieve

- Baseball Days

- Transition into Wrestling

- Developing The Macho Man

- Earning a Reputation

- WrestleMania III

- WWE Champion

- Mega Powers

- Randy & Liz

- Spokesperson

- WCW

- Hardships

- Giving Back

- True Love

- May 20, 2011

- Cream of the Crop

DISC 2

Intercontinental Championship Match

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat

Superstars • November 22, 1986

Lumberjack Match for the Intercontinental Championship

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. Bruno Sammartino

Boston Garden • February 7, 1987

Intercontinental Championship Match

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat

Maple Leaf Gardens • February 15, 1987

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. “The King” Harley Race

Philadelphia, PA • September 18, 1987

Six-Man Tag Team Steel Cage Match

“Macho Man” Randy Savage & Strike Force vs. Honky Tonk Man & The Hart Foundation

Boston Garden • March 5, 1988

WWE Championship Match

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase

Boston Garden • July 9, 1988

Harlem Street Fight for the WWE Championship

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. Bad News Brown

Hamilton, Ontario • January 16, 1989

WWE Championship Match

Hulk Hogan vs. “Macho Man” Randy Savage

Madison Square Garden • April 24, 1989

DISC 3

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. “Rowdy” Roddy Piper

Miami, FL • January 22, 1990

WWE Championship Match

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. Shawn Michaels

Munich, Germany • April 14, 1992

WWE Championship Match

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. The Ultimate Warrior

SummerSlam • August 31, 1992

WWE Championship Match

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair

Prime Time Wrestling • September 14, 1992

WCW Television Championship Match

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. Arn Anderson

WCW Saturday Night • January 28, 1995

Steel Cage Match for the WCW Championship

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair

WCW Superbrawl VI • February 11, 1996

Las Vegas Sudden Death Match

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. Diamond Dallas Page

WCW Halloween Havoc • October 26, 1997

BLU-RAY EXTRAS

Lumberjack Match for the WWE Championship

Hulk Hogan vs. “Macho Man” Randy Savage

Madison Square Garden • February 17, 1986

Winner is the King of WWE

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan

Madison Square Garden • October 28, 1989

“Macho Man” Randy Savage & Sting vs. The Blue Bloods (Lord Steven Regal & Earl Robert Eaton)

WCW Saturday Night • September 9, 1995

“Macho Man” Randy Savage vs. Booker T

WCW Nitro • December 15, 1997

Blu-Ray Exclusive Stories

- Ambidextrous?

- Card Shark

- Fearing the Savage

- Getting into the WWE

- Snake Fixed?

- A Safety Net

- Hundred Dollar Bill Guy

- Jerusalem

- Highly Competitive

- No Days Off

- Cowboy Hats

- Part of the Team

- Shifting Gears

- Very Generous

- Thanksgiving Call

- Walking Away

- Michael Schmidt

- Macho Tip

So in the daily WO update there was a plug for the latest ROH tryout, and I see they're charging $300 a pop with a limit of 35 participants. Does anyone get hired from these or is it just a quick way for the company to pocket $10k from werkin' the boys?

So in the daily WO update there was a plug for the latest ROH tryout, and I see they're charging $300 a pop with a limit of 35 participants. Does anyone get hired from these or is it just a quick way for the company to pocket $10k from werkin' the boys?

They do. At least get booked as an enhancement talent on their TV show.

I thought the main event was an incredible moment, but I sincerely wish I could see what the people calling it a classic or even a MOTYC are seeing. I thought it was good, perhaps very good, but nothing more than that. I thought the way they went straight to the epic selling and nearfalls in the third caída was really weird, like a good ten minutes had been clipped out of the match. I did go in expecting more punching, mask ripping and blood and I'm sure the lack of those affected my opinion so I will have to go back and rewatch it.

It was weird to see a mask vs. mask wrestled straight up like that (the Cometa/Cavernario hair vs. hair was like that, too) but it was really well executed. Built to the big spots well, made Atlantis look like a demigod with him kicking out of all of UG's big stuff, and the out-of-nowhere finish was tremendous. I liked the tag match alright for the Rush/Casas interactions, but the main event is definitely a MOTYC for me.

Just re-watched Shawn/Cena from WM 23 for the first time in awhile and man what an oddly booked match to have for your company ace. Shawn out wrestles Cena at every turn and is the aggressor while Cena wrestles pensively and comes across as nothing short of a weakling for the majority of the match. This seems to be the narrative as Ross and Lawler mentioned this throughout . The ending was decisive enough with Shawn tapping but that match did Cena no favors. Maybe it was politics from Shawn and Hunter for how that match was put together but i'm not entirely convinced of that. Cena winning gets only a slightly better than average pop. I know the crowds had already turned on him at this point but still strange to hear that at a Mania

Well I'm eating crow after rewatching Atlantis/Ultimo Guerrero. Absolutely phenomenal match and a strong MOTYC. Not sure what the hell I was smoking on first viewing. Only complaint was Atlantis almost no-selling the Guerrero Special but it almost seems like a nitpick given the atmosphere and how incredible everything else was.

Well I'm eating crow after rewatching Atlantis/Ultimo Guerrero. Absolutely phenomenal match and a strong MOTYC. Not sure what the hell I was smoking on first viewing. Only complaint was Atlantis almost no-selling the Guerrero Special but it almost seems like a nitpick given the atmosphere and how incredible everything else was.

Ha maybe I'll have to check it out again, as I was with you the first time after initially watching -- felt like a good / very good match with an excellent third fall capped off with some incredible emotion for the unmasking. But it seemed so rushed and without much urgency or tension through the first 2+ falls. We'll see what a rewatch brings. Got the house to myself today with plans to look back at this, ROH TV last week, Funks vs. Abby/Sheik and Billy Robinson. BOOM!

Match was awesome and it had the feeling of a modern classic that people will talk about in decades, like Cien Caras vs Rayo, Solitario vs Wagner or Atlantis vs Villano.

I absolutely love how UG kayfabed his family about the result so his pretty wife and daughters were crying like babies and his dad looked to be desolate. It added to the atmosphere. The fans at Arena Mexico are all smart (you can say that about most fans at almost any major Arena in Mexico for the last decade) and at the big shows you get a more urban, affluent and educated crowd so nowadays it's difficult to get those 90s Perro Aguayo moments where he's bleeding like a stuck pig after the match and teenage girls, middle aged women and older ladies try to get close to give him a hug.

I liked the mask match. The build to the finish with the teases of the Atlantida leading to the finish were awesome. The post-match stuff was obviously great and a reminder of what can make lucha so great and unique from other forms of pro wrestling. I am not sure if it was a MOTYC candidate or anything like that, but I am also not sure if that is really relevant. It was a big, memorable match as it should have been with an extremely memorable ending.

Rey Cometa/Cavernario was good, but I am not sure it was all that much different/better than something like La Sombra/Volador Jr. form 8/1. I liked it just fine, but below the top notch CMLL matches from this year.

Really fun show overall, though.

I wanted more of a comeback out of Cometa. It's okay for him to take the segunda on a fluke, basically, but I feel like he didn't get a proper comeback since when he was able to start his offense in the tercera, they were already moving into the finishing stretch and while what he got was fairly spectacular, it didn't have a lot of emotion behind it. There wasn't much of it either. It's got to be hard to pace a match like that on a show like this though, since you can't have too many of the matches feeling the same. That's something I don't think about with lucha because I almost never watch whole shows.

I've only seen a couple of Lucha matches in my life so I'm far from the best person to have an opinion on that UG vs Atlantis match. But I'm on the camp of "very good, emotional match", didn't seem like a classic to me. Kinda felt like Michaels vs Taker at WM 26 with the kickout-sell-move-kickout layout. But then again, I have no connection to both guys so I probably missed a very important piece to completely "get" what they were doing. The post-match was something else though.

And damn, is commentary always that horrible in current Lucha? Not that they were saying anything wrong but the lack of real (or believable) emotion for such a big match was surprising. I was expecting something resembling to Eduardo Lama, Carlos Aguilar and Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. in Box Azteca.

I enjoyed Cavernario/Cometa but thought it was pretty much a spotfest, which is fine for what it is but I think Cavernario has proven himself capable of better in his En Busca matches and the match with Titán. The third caída followed the epic stretch run pattern of "big move, nearfall, lay around for a while, repeat" which I find kind of tedious when it makes up like half the match. The cool moves were suitably cool though so it's hard to complain too much. I really hope Cavernario stops doing that splash to the floor spot or he's going to have trouble walking within a matter of years.

Did he actually bs hs family about the result? I assumed they all knew but were still emotional seeing it take place.

I don't know for sure one way or another but all the wrestlers I have had somewhat of a close relationship with have completely kayfabed their families. They are all old school guys (which Guerrero is kind of is old school in a way even though he was there at the tail end).

Even 10 years ago there were many people who "knew" it was all arranged but also believed that Apuestas matches are real because there's too much at stake.