Pro Wrestling Only

The Wrestlemania 29 Early Spring NY Weather Disaster Prediction Thread

Bix

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

114... but I'm coming from England and it's doubling as an end-of-uni celebration (I get my last grant on April 2nd) so I've no problem paying the extra $$...

Awesome, way to make the most of it. I had to sucker 3 friends into it who can't be compelled to watch wrestling more than once or twice a year, so I'm glad to be there at all.

• 3 weeks later...

This seems like the place to discuss Mania plans.

Rumors have the card as this:

Rock vs Cena 2

Taker vs Punk

Show vs Ryback

What fascinates me is that they blow $5 mil on Lesnar, with the assumption that he'd be in a top 2 match at Mania, and now he might be an afterthought.

Taker/Punk makes no sense to me. Punk is really good but the fans won't buy any of his nearfalls. Lesnar seems like a better choice for that match, especially since Taker isn't losing to Punk. However, having Lesnar put over Sheamus might have more value still, and that would be a very strong #3 match.

Naturally all these plans could go out the window at any moment... but they did stick with Rock/Cena 1 so maybe Vince's ADD has lessened?

Out of any possible combination on the roster Punk vs Taker is by far the #1 match i'd want to see but ONLY if Punk is still champ. 500+ day title run vs Taker's streak would be huge and it'd create doubt over the winner because everyone "knows" at this point Taker only works once a year and if he won he'd have to come back on a semi reg basis again. Rock & Cena don't need the belt near as much and Taker vs Punk would mean a hell of a lot less without it.

Plus if Punk did hold the belt until Mania he'd pass Austin for most days with the title over combined reigns by 1 or 2 days :)

You're forgetting Lesnar vs. HHH which will be the #2 match on the show.

Ah yes, that.

Then what about Sheamus...

vs a heel Orton? A match that has been done to death.

Another question is does Ziggler win the World title before WM and what match will be for that belt.

In the ring it doesn't look like a strong show yet.

I think the idea is to have Mania in large metropolitan areas. Most of those giant football stadiums are not in major metropolitan markets like New York, Atlanta, Miami, etc, or tourist locations like Orlando. Vince is probably worried that if he holds Wrestlemania in Columbus, Ohio or Knoxville, Tennessee, it will come off too small-time.

I'm curious, would Vince see Minneapolis-St. Paul as small-time? The Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area has nearly 3 1/2 million people and Mall of American is a top tourist attraction with 40 million annual visitors. Also, a new Vikings Stadium, at costs of nearly $1 billion, is expected to open in 2016.

I ask this because Minneapolis-St. Paul is one of the country's largest metropolitan areas and has a major tourist attraction, so if Vince sees this as small-time then there are only at tops 10 cities that are viewed as big enough to host Wrestlemania in the future.

Superdome is going to host it as well as JerryDome

See, I would think that if the Superdome was ever going to host it, it'd have done so by now. I wonder if the WWE has felt that it simply couldn't fill the building. Despite being a tourism haven New Orleans is a poor city and quite small compared to the big markets that tend to host the show...and that was the case before 2005. It's been a bigger issue since.

I'm hoping they do Indianapolis sometime. I thought a Super Bowl there wouldn't work, but people raved about how great it was. Vince seems to dig using Super Bowl venues, so maybe it can happen.

Wrestlemania VIII.

I know, but I'm talking modern-day, huge spectacle, Wrestlemania. Lucas Oil Stadium is perfect. The set designers could come up with something awesome for the big window.

Vince has to be drooling over the eventual possibility of running JerryWorld and breaking the WM3 attendance mark. Doesn't he?

I don't know if they want to face the potential embarrassment of falling short of the record set by the NBA All-Star Game.

See, I would think that if the Superdome was ever going to host it, it'd have done so by now. I wonder if the WWE has felt that it simply couldn't fill the building. Despite being a tourism haven New Orleans is a poor city and quite small compared to the big markets that tend to host the show...and that was the case before 2005. It's been a bigger issue since.

I don't think that's an issue. Like with the Super Bowl, most of the attendees are from out of town. Hell, Detroit's pretty much a post-apocalyptic wasteland and it hosted a recent Wrestlemania.