Pro Wrestling Only

2012 Match of The Year Thread

Dylan Waco

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure I'll go ahead and post my top 10 matches this year so far:

1. Angel Blanco Jr./El Hijo Del Solitario vs. El Hijo Del Santo/Villano IV TXT 2/25

2. Blue Panther vs. Negro Casas CMLL 3/2

3. Black Terry vs. Chico Che IWRG 1/29

4. CM Punk vs. Mark Henry RAW 4/2

5. Finlay vs. Tajiri SMASH 2/19

6. Negro Casas vs. La Sombra 2/20

7. El Hijo Del Santo vs. El Hijo Del Solitario vs. Angel Blanco Jr. (Mask vs. Mask) TXT 3/31

8. Black Terry vs. Chico Che IWRG 1/22

9. CM Punk vs. Dolph Ziggler 2/3 Falls RAW (House Show) 3/25

10. El Hijo Del Santo/Villano IV vs. El Hijo Del Solitario/Angel Blanco Jr. TXT 3/23

Scorpio vs. Walker, Punk-Bryan RAW and SD, Casas-Panther 1/27 knocked out

I really wish people would use this thread to talk about their own MOTY picks as well, but that ship may have sailed.

By the way Dylan, Richards vs Elgin is my # 1 so far for this year. Discuss.

Actually I would like to hear what you liked about the match. I know you thought it was one of the better ROH matches in years and I'm curious why you rate it at the top of the heap now.

I sorta lurk here more then i post so i figure I'd try and post here a tad bit more.

Sad part about 2012 is that I'm so far behind on my Wrasslin viewing that the only 2012 match I'd consider a MOTY is The Super Smash Bros vs Ronin from EVOLVE 10.

I'd doubt it'll make to many peoples list here and once I get through most of my 2011 viewing and get to 2012 It will probably fall a bit but I just have this unusual love for the SSB at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to the 2 Chico Che vs Black Terry matches. Not sure where but the Hair match i'd have in the upper part of my MOTY list, I acutally liked the finish, made Che come across like a dick for getting the win like that. The 2nd one I liked a lot too but would put in in the lvl just below MOTY.

I really wish people would use this thread to talk about their own MOTY picks as well, but that ship may have sailed.

Actually I would like to hear what you liked about the match. I know you thought it was one of the better ROH matches in years and I'm curious why you rate it at the top of the heap now.

I second this. My thoughts are at DVDVR but to state again... what a stupid fucking match.

From DVDVR:

Davey Richards vs. Michael Elgin

- fuck's sake, I hated this match. Things that were kicked out of... A top rope dragon suplex, an Elgin fat man cannonball senton, spinning power bomb, a sick emerald frosion...no selling superplexes... .meaningless ankle locks, the child murder submission. Fuck this match. Enjoyed the show but fuck this match.

It occurred to me recently that in a perverse way, Richards really is bringing realism back to wrestling. What's more realistic than exposing how fake and harmless most wrestling moves are?

I second this. My thoughts are at DVDVR but to state again... what a stupid fucking match.

Perhaps I will re-watch it again to be able to write my thoughts before taking the big step of defending it here.

Perhaps I will re-watch it again to be able to write my thoughts before taking the big step of defending it here.

What do you like about the match? Was it the big moves down the stretch that I listed (all no-sold)? Was it the kicks of death? Was it the crwod reaction the last 5 minutes? The stupid transitions or lack there of?

What do you like about the match? Was it the big moves down the stretch that I listed (all no-sold)? Was it the kicks of death? Was it the crwod reaction the last 5 minutes? The stupid transitions or lack there of?

Can I weigh in, because I *liked* that match (as much as I can like any Davey Richards match) and I know exactly why: It made Michael Elgin a star and I believably thought that he was going to defeat Davey Richards and win the World Title. It made me care about the outcome. It made me care about one of the people in the match (so that I was actively rooting for him) and root against another. It drew me in and made me express emotion. It made me care about who had the belt. The moves themselves were pretty business-exposing but wrestling is never really about which moves are used, and never has been, right? I mean, it's dumb because they have raised the bar so high and killed near-falls but by the end of that match, I was standing up and actually counting along with pinfalls thinking that Richards was beat. So that's why.

I will say that I find it interesting that I hate Davey Richards because of all of the Smark stuff, like the no-selling and killing of moves...and that made him the heel to me, which caused me to become emotionally invested in the match. Weird how that worked.

Also I had more problem with Davey Richards' "Hey guys, glad that match is over. By the way, here's a promo because I'm okay" than I did about anything in the match.

Copying over from DEAN's thread at DVDVR

SPW 4/22/2012 (SPW Tag Titles) The Reno Scum, Adam Thornstowe & Luster The Legend © vs Virgil Flynn & El Chupacabra

Best match i've seen in Nor Cal in about half a year since Fit Finlay vs Timothy Thatcher. Great use of the traditional tag formula, insane bumps, crazy highspots, stiffness, hot crowd. Can't imagine anyone not loving this match. Starts about 9 mins in if you want to skip the entrances and barely audible promo stuff

Can I weigh in, because I *liked* that match (as much as I can like any Davey Richards match) and I know exactly why: It made Michael Elgin a star and I believably thought that he was going to defeat Davey Richards and win the World Title. It made me care about the outcome. It made me care about one of the people in the match (so that I was actively rooting for him) and root against another. It drew me in and made me express emotion. It made me care about who had the belt. The moves themselves were pretty business-exposing but wrestling is never really about which moves are used, and never has been, right? I mean, it's dumb because they have raised the bar so high and killed near-falls but by the end of that match, I was standing up and actually counting along with pinfalls thinking that Richards was beat. So that's why.

I will say that I find it interesting that I hate Davey Richards because of all of the Smark stuff, like the no-selling and killing of moves...and that made him the heel to me, which caused me to become emotionally invested in the match. Weird how that worked.

Also I had more problem with Davey Richards' "Hey guys, glad that match is over. By the way, he's a promo because I'm okay" than I did about anything in the match.

That promo at the end was even worse than the match. You just watched a five star match!!! Go fuck yourself.

That promo at the end was even worse than the match. You just watched a five star match!!! Go fuck yourself.

Davey is just revolutionizing the business. I'm waiting for someone to come up the concept of ending shows with an in-ring roundtable discussion with wrestlers and fans (those willing to pay $100 for the experience of course) where everyone discusses and critiques the night's performance.

I'm waiting for someone to come up the concept of ending shows with an in-ring roundtable discussion with wrestlers and fans (those willing to pay $100 for the experience of course) where everyone discusses and critiques the night's performance.

Good idea in theory. You'd make a nice profit... for one night. Unless all the fans involved were total sycophants, sooner or later a bunch of the wrestlers would get pissed off at people dissecting their performances and either threaten to attack the fans or just walk out.

Davey is just revolutionizing the business. I'm waiting for someone to come up the concept of ending shows with an in-ring roundtable discussion with wrestlers and fans (those willing to pay $100 for the experience of course) where everyone discusses and critiques the night's performance.

Where's Mike Oles when you need him ?

It's no different than the 'talk backs' we used to have one night a week during every theatre performance run we did. The actors and director would be on stage and people could stay behind and talk to them about the play and ask questions etc. Always drew a good crowd and was interesting.

Everyone at a ROH show knows/accepts wrestling is fake. It can't be business exposing if the business has long been exposed. It's a good idea if people are willing to pay for it.

Are you saying that bragging about having a five star match right after the match is a good idea?

Well, I guess for the ROH crowd it can work since it seems like the entire idea of the promotion is jerking off about snowflakes (I realize I may be several years behind on this). Doesn't mean it's a good idea as an absolute though.