Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-06-11-WCW-Saturday Night] Hulk Hogan parade and press conference

Loss

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can only imagine for the guys who went through the old NWA for years, then WCW with the great 1992 and early 1994, Flair, Steamboat, Dangerous Alliance, Dustin, Austin, Pillman, Vader, how they must have felt at this moment. My heart would have sunk. I don't think they would have picture that the next Starrcade would be main-evented by Brutus Beefcake though.

I am amused by Bischoff and Gene calling this like they are hosting the Macy's parade. This is the ultimate in astroturf excitement. Hogan does a drug-induced promo about bodyslamming Andre the Giant, beating Ted Turner in wrestling and creationism.

"Members of the press" ask Hogan questions, but it's painfully obvious they asked bystanders who wanted to be on TV.

This is all very bizarre.

Just wow. Hokey parade. Hogan sure seemed wired in his promo. They are really trying to get this over as being the greatest day in wrestling. I wasn't much of a WCW fan but from watching this set, I definitely have a new opinion on WCW in 1994. Some of the better stuff this year has happened in WCW. But you can already feel things starting to change.

• 2 weeks later...

This is just weird as hell. One thing I never have thought about is that this did take place at MGM studios. I am really surprised that a Disney park took measures to have all this set up even though it was only one section of the park that is at the very back. They really tried to make this seem like a huge moment but it just lacked an genuine enthusiasm from all involved.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Awwwww Gawwwwwd....... Brotha, dude, Hulkamania brutha.... Jimmy Hart jumping around like a retarded little bitch. Gene sucking hard on Hogan's dick and swallowing to boot. "The Greatest Moment in the History of Wrestling." Brutha, the big man upstairs dude ! Fake parade. WATCHAGONNADOBROTHA ! AWWWWW GAAWWWWWWWWWDDDD !!!!! My WCW fandom feels raped.

WCW 1.0 is dead. Welcome to WCW 2.0, the WWFesque version.

• 7 months later...

The END of a DIFFERENT wrestling company and the beginning of a carbon copy of up North.....I remember not even caring as I thought Hogan was done and this wouldnt help WCW at all...

Was I wrong? Yes.....sort of......

Another thing I find funny about Hogan is one of the ONLY times (that I know of) where he actually did what he didnt want to do (turn heel) completely changed his career for the better...you;d have thought he take more stuff into consideration after that....

• 9 months later...

The greatest day in the history of professional wrestling. "Great" meaning large or immense--we use it in the pejorative sense. Hart makes a nuisance of himself and Okerlund actually asks for Hogan's "official John Henry" on the contract. Hogan cuts a promo on Flair and about arm-wrestling Ted Turner. Yeah, kind of a far cry from Trump Plaza breaking apart and Donald Trump throwing away his earthly possessions to ride on the back of the Hulkster on the crazy scale. This is legitimately a game-changing move for WCW, as it indirectly leads to Nitro which leads to the most exciting period of wrestling in my lifetime. But man oh man, does this reek of phoniness and a short-term changing of the guard that isn't for the better. The sad thing is, WWE's competitors (such as they are) haven't really learned a thing in 20 fucking years.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-06-11-WCW-Saturday Night] Hulk Hogan parade and press conference