Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-06-16-WWF-King of the Ring] Owen Hart vs 1-2-3 Kid

Loss

• 2 months later...

This match blew me away at the time of how good it was in such a short amount of time. Kid is still hurting from his Jarrett match and with the lights still down gets blasted in the face with a dropkick. These guys are on fast forward. No rest holds to be seen. Owen catches The Kid in mid air when he is doing a jumping wheel kick and German suplexes him. Still cool today. Squashes him with a powerbomb a bit later. If you’re going to have a short match, this is how you do it.

• 1 year later...

Fantastic. Kid is working an injury angle stemming from the Double J match earlier, as an excuse for these guys to go balls-to-the-wall from the opening. Actually before the opening, as Owen CREAMS Kid with one of the greatest baseball slides of all-time. Almost had me jumping out of my seat, since Owen just emerged from the dimmed lights out of nowhere. He also busts out a German suplex counter and a fucking POWER BOMB that kills the Kid dead to set up the Sharpshooter. One of the best 5-or-fewer minute matches ever, anywhere.

• 2 years later...

The thing I appreciate about this match so much is how tight it is. The moves are very precise, and even though they are working this in a really fast pace, it still looks very professional. Even at this pace, the selling and the pacing of the selling itself seems to make sense in the context of the match. Owen's powerbomb on Kid is sick! Then we go into the sharpshooter after that power move on the back and Kid taps. Whoa, that was fast! I agree, this has to be one of the better 5 minutes or fewer matches out there. Two pros.

#482 - placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-500-451/

• 1 month later...

Owen Hart vs 1-2-3 Kid - WWF King of the Ring 1994

One of my all-time favorite matches, just an incredible sprint. You see Double J hits three piledrivers on the Kid after their match. Shows the difference between 1981 Georgia (Gordy three piledrivers on DiBiase) and now Kid is out here.

Owen WIPES THE KID OUT WITH BASEBALL SLIDE! Best Baseball Slide Ever! Owen's suicide dive through middle rope is outta control. They set the tone early on that they were going to kick ass. Kid gets some hope spots like reverse cross body and nice spinwheel kick. The execution is so good here. Kid's big hope spot is Northern Lights Suplex and the ref counts three, but Owen's foot hooked the rope. Awesome spot! Kid somersaults over the top rope to the floor. Great! Kid looks to pull off the upset, but Owen catches him with a Deadlift German! Sweet! Nice Belly to Belly, Kid tries to use his speed, but Owen catches him with the MUTHA OF ALL POWERBOMBS! Sharpshooter ad it is academic.

Incredible sprint. Owen and Kid looked awesome here! Just nonstop action! ****

• 3 months later...

This has a pretty great reputation as being one of the best short matches of all-time & it sure was quite the banger. The opening was fantastic with Owen just DESTROYING Kid with that brutal baseball dive. Owen is looking to make quick work of the 1-2-3 Kid, but Kid, being the ultimate underdog that he is pulls of some great hope spots. Awesome, awesome stuff. Perfectly laid out, cleanly worked, perfect pace. ****

For an all action 4 minute workrate sprint it doesn't get much better than this. I love how violent they made the dives look, and Owen's bump of a countered irish whip was marvelous. Countered irish whips are one of the spots where I most commonly scratch my head and think about how contemplating the consistency of pro wrestling physics how I should be reacting to any match, but here Owen just blats that corner like a shotgun. The timing on the Northen Lights Suplex false finish was impeccable, Kid's offence was smooth and his kicks even surprisingly good and a spinning heel kick countered into a mid-air German Suplex is something that'd pop you watching 1998 All Japan, let alone a New Generation WWF match, such a brutal spot, and the counter Powerbomb wasn't far behind. ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1994-06-16-WWF-King of the Ring] Owen Hart vs 1-2-3 Kid