Pro Wrestling Only

Tropes in pro-wrestling that you loathe

Mr Wrestling X

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I fucking HATE in wresting is when a match is nearing the end or stretch run and a guy just grabs a headlock randomly, pretty much for the sole purpose of allowing his opponent to shoot him into the ropes. It is the single laziest spot in wrestling

I LOVE the bridge into backslide pin as a nearfall near the end of a match, but I hate that the sequence always starts with a side headlock for the same reason.

One thing I fucking HATE in wresting is when a match is nearing the end or stretch run and a guy just grabs a headlock randomly, pretty much for the sole purpose of allowing his opponent to shoot him into the ropes. It is the single laziest spot in wrestling

You and me both. But the problem is EVERY WRESTLER IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE does it.

Don't get me started on guys who think that headlocking a standing Riki Choshu is a good idea.

Not so much a "trope", as such, but I hate how "PG" = "childish". Maybe the American system is different to ours, but I always understood ratings/certificates/etc to be about swearing, sex/nudity, violence... with the "matureness" of its theme/s being fairly minor unless we're talking gritty-realistic prostitution, drug abuse, etc. The Attitude Era was no more grown-up than Jim super-gluing his hand to his dick, y'know?

This whole anti-immigration angle with Dutch/Swagger/Del Rio, my proposed atheism angle, etc, there's nothing within the PG guidelines (to me) that makes them hard to do. If anything, you're likely to do them better without having the cheap availability of what a higher rating would allow.

I don't watch much PWG... give me some examples.

From looking at a a review from PWG's Threemendous III:

Match 4: Eddie Edwards vs Brian Cage - Edwards bumps on the apron from a discus clothesline

Match 5: Kevin Steen vs Willie Mack - Steen powerbombs Willie Mack onto the apron

Match 6: Drake Younger vs B-Boy - Drake hits a Michinoku Driver on the apron

Match 7: Michael Elgin vs Sami Callihan - Elgin catches Sami after a suicide dive attempt and from there drops him onto the apron twice

Main Event: SSB vs Future Shock vs Young Bucks

- Player Dos double stomps Matt Jackson on the ring apron

- Kyle O'Reilly backdrops Nick Jackson on the apron

- Matt Jackson hits Kyle O'Reilly with a DDT on the apron

I saw that gif a little while ago and just assumed it was a planned spot, seems like they're out way too far to even attempt to make the apron. I could be wrong though, I don't know the guy giving the move, maybe it's a signature of his (hitting it on the apron I mean). If they meant to go to the floor I guess they're saying that in the heat of a fight you try everything, I've often seen people go for a Tornado DDT off a bar tbf.

I noticed the constant apron stuff in PWG too, the Young Bucks are the worst for doing it for sure. I suppose it always gets a pop.

Not so much a "trope", as such, but I hate how "PG" = "childish". Maybe the American system is different to ours, but I always understood ratings/certificates/etc to be about swearing, sex/nudity, violence... with the "matureness" of its theme/s being fairly minor unless we're talking gritty-realistic prostitution, drug abuse, etc. The Attitude Era was no more grown-up than Jim super-gluing his hand to his dick, y'know?

This whole anti-immigration angle with Dutch/Swagger/Del Rio, my proposed atheism angle, etc, there's nothing within the PG guidelines (to me) that makes them hard to do. If anything, you're likely to do them better without having the cheap availability of what a higher rating would allow.

Actually, there IS an entry for this on TVTropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main...eDreadedGRating

I'm guessing that move was a mid-match transition, right? That makes me hate it even more.

See, that's it right there. If that was a finish in a hate filled match that led to a double countout? I'd have no problem with it.

I'd still have a problem with it, because it's a stupidly dangerous spot. Those guys are both lucky that their brains are still inside their skulls. The guy doing the DDT hit the back of his head hard on the concrete, and also landed back-first on a couple of thick cables for good measure. Meanwhile the guy taking the move came uncomfortably close to breaking his fucking neck, with the way he landed. The spot is so awkwardly done that it's hard to tell if it's a botch or if they actually meant to go straight to the floor.

And, worst of all? Hardly anyone even saw the landing! Only the fans on that side of the ring could even tell you what happened. Landing on the floor, between a guardrail and the ring, most of the live audience just plain didn't see it.