Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

van_Fair - I agree completely, that whole feud felt forced, wasn't helped by the Corino stuff like they probably thought. I think people *do* want to see Whitmer get beat - especially after all that Colby stuff, but Page was a dud and I'd imagine the heat won't be there for the Corino/Whitmer match at BitW.

Knowing that Evolve is getting support from WWE it makes me feel like while they are getting more exposure they will always be held to a certain level and I can't get to invested in a company that has a pretty clear, no pun intended, glass ceiling.

If the wrestling is good now, was good six months ago, and will probably be good in six months, then why does it matter? It's not a political party or a union you're a part of or something. It's a pro-wrestling company and you're a consumer of their product, not some sort of shareholder.

You are right and wrong here, as I say I enjoy the product way more that ROH or really any other American company right now but, it's hard for me to have the same emotional investment on them growing that I can have with a company that I know is openly competing to be #1. It does not have a negative impact on the shows for me but I can't rally around the company the same way I use to knowing they have upward limits.

On top of that these are living companies it's not like watching 90s AJPW and you just know what you have is what you have because both Evolve and ROH exist in real time there upward mobility and future prospects are important to my personal investment in the product

I went to the Terminal 5 show on Saturday night. A few thoughts:

- After all the discussion of ROH not getting big wins, they did get to take the main event, pinning a New Japan guy in the process. (I actually lost a bet to my friends and bought a round of drinks because of this - I figured there was no way an NJ guy was taking the pin.) Naito-ACH and Tanahashi-Sydal were both good but anti-climactic, however.

- Holy shit, Dalton Castle. What a reaction. His work lived up to the reaction, too, which was nice to see. The show really lost steam for a while after that match - the crowd was a little burnt.

- It was a VERY long show - four hours including intermission. Felt like a bit of overkill, although I'm not sure what I'd cut. The Evolve show I went to a couple of months ago was a much tighter 2 1/2 hours, which is really the optimal length for a show. This was starting to feel reminiscent of the USA Pro shows I used to go to (of course, I wasn't of legal drinking age then, which didn't help).

- They got a good reaction, but I can't quite get into ReDRagon.

- Okada's entrance, with all the Okada bucks, was super cool in person.

- Addiction getting DQed to keep the belts wasn't very ROH, but the Addiction as a whole feels so different than a lot of the roster that I think it worked for now.

- Nice going away pop for Cedric Alexander.

Knowing that Evolve is getting support from WWE it makes me feel like while they are getting more exposure they will always be held to a certain level and I can't get to invested in a company that has a pretty clear, no pun intended, glass ceiling.

If the wrestling is good now, was good six months ago, and will probably be good in six months, then why does it matter? It's not a political party or a union you're a part of or something. It's a pro-wrestling company and you're a consumer of their product, not some sort of shareholder.

You are right and wrong here, as I say I enjoy the product way more that ROH or really any other American company right now but, it's hard for me to have the same emotional investment on them growing that I can have with a company that I know is openly competing to be #1. It does not have a negative impact on the shows for me but I can't rally around the company the same way I use to knowing they have upward limits.

On top of that these are living companies it's not like watching 90s AJPW and you just know what you have is what you have because both Evolve and ROH exist in real time there upward mobility and future prospects are important to my personal investment in the product

There isn't any other wrestling company in the world that is actually competing with WWE to be #1.

So apparently Jim Ross suggests on his latest Ross Report that Moose and Michael Elgin would be good signings by WWE as potential opponents for Lesnar. Moose I can see, as I always figured he'd end up in NXT or WWE. That big dude Donovan Dijak as well.

Michael Elgin? Good Lord, please...no. Just...no. Between his pug nose, horrible work, and ridiculous facial expressions, that's the absolute last thing I ever want to see, ever.

He's a big guy for Japan and the indies who can do strength spots because the guys he's wrestling are a lot lighter than him. He is absolutely NOT going to look impressive standing next to Lesnar and ain't no way he's picking him up and pressing him over his head or anything like that either. There's no good reason you'd go and sign him to be a Lesnar opponent when you have guys like Rusev or Big E right there who are big thick but not that tall dudes who can wrestle Lesnar.

The only reason he got name dropped by J.R. as a Lesnar opponent is because he's "big and strong" when there are plenty of bigger, stronger guys in the WWE. He doesn't have an impressive look where you can just drop him in as a Lesnar opponent without a really long fucking time building him up to that level.

Elgin has gotten much much better but he is short and not ripped. It seems that thickness doesn't really come through on TV as well so what size he does have isn't going to be impressive but in person he's a big big dude.

If Elgin can press slam Moose why couldn't he do it to Brock?

To further bitch about RoH. They have a show coming up in Columbus on June 5th. Not a single match has been announced for it yet.

They announced the lineup for NYC about a week before the show, then changed a large chunk of it about three days before.

It's counter-productive to a market like Columbus. This is their third trip here and they've done weaker houses with each show. I know it's going to be a B show so I want to know who they're going to bring in. Are you going to have at least Moose and Castle there? It's not like NXT where they don't have to announce a card and will sell out in 15 minutes here. You come to town and put on 3 good shows and people are going to be interested. You come in, put on 2 mediocre cards and then take a year and a half off you might want to advertise a card.

It's counter-productive to a market like Columbus. This is their third trip here and they've done weaker houses with each show. I know it's going to be a B show so I want to know who they're going to bring in. Are you going to have at least Moose and Castle there? It's not like NXT where they don't have to announce a card and will sell out in 15 minutes here. You come to town and put on 3 good shows and people are going to be interested. You come in, put on 2 mediocre cards and then take a year and a half off you might want to advertise a card.

Absolutely agree. Don't see why this isn't possible for them. They sold out NYC, so it wasn't an issue in that regard, but it still struck of poor planning.

I'm a guy who thinks Elgin has improved, their is no way he could be booked as a monster in the WWE.

I mean that's really blatantly obvious. I never even said anything about his work just the idea that you can drop him right into WWE as a credible Lesnar opponent seemingly based on look alone like JR said is laughable.

100% agree. You're not wrong. Similar to the Rhode Island show, you'd get the contract guys for sure (although unfortunately the Bucks are hurt), but lot of other open slots.

Shame as I like to see them grow in new markets and this is one, unlike Philly that will sell on just the same, where you need to show some matches early.

The issue for me isn't EVOLVE getting WWE support. My issue is that it's hard to fully invest in a company whose top storyline is a propaganda tool to babyface the dysfunctional market leader, rather than put their own company over as the be-all end-all.

The issue for me isn't EVOLVE getting WWE support. My issue is that it's hard to fully invest in a company whose top storyline is a propaganda tool to babyface the dysfunctional market leader, rather than put their own company over as the be-all end-all.

That doesn't help either

He's a big guy for Japan and the indies who can do strength spots because the guys he's wrestling are a lot lighter than him. He is absolutely NOT going to look impressive standing next to Lesnar and ain't no way he's picking him up and pressing him over his head or anything like that either. There's no good reason you'd go and sign him to be a Lesnar opponent when you have guys like Rusev or Big E right there who are big thick but not that tall dudes who can wrestle Lesnar.

The only reason he got name dropped by J.R. as a Lesnar opponent is because he's "big and strong" when there are plenty of bigger, stronger guys in the WWE. He doesn't have an impressive look where you can just drop him in as a Lesnar opponent without a really long fucking time building him up to that level.

By no means was I comparing him to Lesnar. I don't give a shit about the hypothetical match. Elgin, in general, has had a stellar 12 months, and before that, there were times when he was absolutely great.

And for what it's worth, I did not like the Davey match that most people loved.