Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well that's what we are dealing with. Delirious had been stale for awhile . With Flair he was able to make his feuds personal over the belt . With Austin I feel his era helped with the decline of the value of the belt. Once Bret lost the belt. It began to lose it's luster as World Title.

ROH needs a new booker then!

Hogan is another guy who was on top with personal feuds that were also about the belt.

He's not the right character. He 's more in the Adrian Street, Sting ilk where they are super over, mean a lot to the card, but don't work as world champ.

He is their hottest act and should be worth a try? If it doesn't work, as you said he's bullet proof and you can get the belt off of him?

What's the harm on attempting to put the belt on their biggest star?

Ok, even if they don't put the belt on him, they should build the show more around him.

This year on PPV:

14th Anniversary: Lost to Goto in a middle card match.

Global Wars: won a four way match in a bottom card match to get a tv title shot

Best in the World: Lost his TV Title shot against Bobby Fish in an upper card match.

DBD: Lost to Okada

Field of Honour: Lost to Kushida in a bottom card match.

ASE: not on the show (as of yet)

That does not look like the record or a great use of someone who could be their top star.

He should be the gate keeper like how Jake Roberts or Hacksaw Duggan was in the WWF. It's funny because Castle is more of an 80's character and that is why he's so over.

Yeah, that would be a good role too.

ROH is kind of becoming a shame to me. Would love to watch more Castle, but don't care AT ALL about ROH so I'm not really seeing him much (except the live shows in Toronto). It's like Cherry Bomb in TNA, where I don't see her except live and other favourites in promotions I don't care about.

To me, the biggest stumbling block ROH has as a company is how Sinclair half ass commits to the wrestling business. They seemingly had to be dragged kicking and screaming into spending the cash to upgrade their production to not look so low rent on TV, and it can't help the booking that they can't count on someone not leaving them in mid angle if WWE (or even TNA) come calling.

Not saying they have to go all WCW and make it rain for everyone on the roster, but they're never going to be anything but a stepping stone for guys on the way up or a crash pad for guys on the way down.

What should ROH be doing though that Sinclair is hampering them in? Are you talking spending money? If so I would have agreed with your statement a couple years ago but given that the production is improved and they have enough clout to keep NJPW (and hopefully now CMLL) happy, I'm not sure what more they could be spending money on.

Exposure maybe? Then I would agree with you. I had heard months ago that Sinclair was going to rebrand The Tennis Channel as American Sports Network and rumor was that ROH was going to have a 2 hour slot on there. ASN has been a thing for 2-3 years now but was more a content provider and not its own channel and SBG was looking to change that. Whether ROH benefits from a 2-hour cable slot in an already crowded cable TV industry is also debatable.

I agree that the booking is stale & uninspired & my interest in ROH is probably at an all time low, but I think ROH has kind of settled into "they are what they are" at this point. Certainly they are going to be a breeding ground for guys on the rise to bigger & better things & use the occasional guy on the way back down. They are the only place to go to see NJPW & CMLL guys, so they have that niche. IF either of those is a money making niche at this point is debatable. They are laughably losing the battle of getting dream match indy guys now. It's been years, you could argue the entire Sinclair era, where PWG (and now Evolve) are totally blowing them out of the water with giving exposure to indy guys with actual buzz. So yeah the product & booking is stale but they seem to enjoy the spot they are in. It's more of a Japan booking philosophy where you kind of have to build a career there in order to reach the top of the card. Look how long it took Cole & O'Reilly to reach the top there. Whether that philosophy is conducive to the fast paced world of 2016 where guys look to make a name for themselves & move on in a few years, is debatable as well. But ROH has chosen a path and I would assume they are doing ok with it.

I'd counter on the exposure front that they went into Canada on The Fight Network earlier this year and you can always find their TV for free on the FITE app (also a 2016 thing I believe). I believe there will be something with the UK, plus their first tour over there in years in the coming months. There are efforts there, but domestically they really don't break out of their regular schedule outside of Mania.

PWG and Evolve run once a month, their models aren't in competition with ROH (heck ROH partners with PWG and has a working relationship) when it comes to big indie names and one-off shots. ROH has TV and a regular touring schedule. Roster building won't be the same. I do think there's a shift there when it comes to guys with buzz (noting that these have been leveraged from their partnerships): Ospreay, Scurll, Dragon Lee, plus Cody Rhodes are all coming in, plus the continued NJPW and CMLL guys. I think that is one area that is markedly better than what it was a year ago.

Christopher Daniels cut a really fantastic promo on this weeks program that I hope pops up online so that everyone can check it out.

I can't say enough. Daniels is a guy I haven't given a shit about in 10 years, and this promo was so good I rewound and watched it again.

It's up ROH's YouTube channel. Simply tremendous stuff.

I'd counter on the exposure front that they went into Canada on The Fight Network earlier this year and you can always find their TV for free on the FITE app (also a 2016 thing I believe). I believe there will be something with the UK, plus their first tour over there in years in the coming months. There are efforts there, but domestically they really don't break out of their regular schedule outside of Mania.

Canadian exposure doesn't mean much. They still run the same amount of shows each year here, same location, and about the same attendance.

^ That's a good point, that TV exposure isn't driving anything ticket-wise, just maybe to the website, merch etc. Toronto is on that seemingly finite loop of regular stops but nothing more.

Yep, maybe it helps merch...

They could run Toronto more often, however, they have only run Toronto with NJPW stars the last 3 years, so maybe they can't run without them anymore. Bullet Club and NJPW might be the draws for Toronto now, not ROH.

I love that Daniels promo.

Maybe I should watch ROH? I only caught one episode randomly about 6 months ago and it was highlights of a big show with a lot of Japanese guys.

Eh... Their TV is frustrating as fuck to follow. They'll be getting into a good groove heading into a big show and then you have to deal with a month or two of old content.