Pro Wrestling Only

Davey Richards: Scam Artist

FLIK

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My other reaction to this...

Who the fuck is Tony Kozina to be complaining about respect from anyone. I'm pretty sure he's small time by even indy standards and has never worked for more than a couple of hundred people. Seems like he should be happy that anyone is willing to book him.

It all started around 1:30pm or so. Keep in mind this was an afternoon show, with doors opening at 3:30pm and the show starting at 4:00pm. I had been asked to text Tony Kozina to discuss a change they wanted to make. They informed me that "due to injury" they didn't want to compete in singles matches, however wanted to do an 8 man. The only reason I wanted to book them was for the specific singles matches I had signed for the show. However, I was willing to work with them. I shot them a counter idea of doing a 6 man tag, and then asked if they would do it for an even $400 (only $75 less than the price we agreed on months ago). I was told they are wrestlers and need to be paid what they were promised. I replied that I respect there position, however when I agreed on the original price it was for those specific matches, not just them working on the show. They again informed me that they need paid in full.

To which once again I told them I respect their position but at the same time I would appreciate if they respected my position as a promoter/booker. I said I would gladly pay the full amount for what we agreed on. Yet again they continued to push the issue, seemingly becoming more and more irritated at the fact that I still wanted to go with the original plans. This continued back and forth for hours. At about 3:00pm I received a text saying that we will stick with the original plan, to which I responded sincerely with a thank you. I received a, "No, thank you in return. We will be there in about 45 min."

At around 3:20pm, 10 minuets before doors open, I get another text, saying that they decided that they still wanted to do the 8 man tag. I have juggled, moved/changed matches, and re drawn up the entire card multiple times at this point and am becoming slightly annoyed at the unprofessional way I felt I was being treated as a promoter. So again I asked, since I was not receiving what I was told I would get and have put several man hours into promoting, I asked to negotiate the price. I have always prided myself on delivering on what my fans expect. No matter if 200 or 20 people show up I want to give them what they were told they were going to see. I have heard, but not personally read, that there are reports stating that I didn't want to pay full price because of a bad turn out at the show. Which is the farthest thing from the truth. It was never about money, however the principle of the situation to me. I felt disrespected, and was not gonna allow myself to be taken advantage of. Just because I run a small promotion, in a small town doesn't mean I am not a serious business owner and promoter.

Approximately 20 minuets later I received a reply stating that they wanted full price and wanted to do it their way, not mine, and that they are still 45 minuets away. You can't go into you're day to day job, and tell your boss that you want to get paid your normal wage but not do what is asked of you. At this point I had a locker room full of guys looking at me for direction for a show that is starting in 10 minuets and people in the audience wondering what they are going to get. I reply that the show is starting in 10 minuets, I've had to juggle the card many, many times and have been more than willing to work with them and negotiate. I apologized but informed them that I was going on with the show without them. This didn't sit well with them and they informed me that I DON'T cancel. I replied that I had cancelled. I felt like I was left with no other choice. We had negotiated all day and now that the show had started I had to go forth with plan B. I wasn't going to hold the entire show up because of them. I felt it was unfair to the guys in the locker room, unfair to me, but most importantly unfair to the fans in the attendance.

At this point I go on with business, to concerned with running the show I ignore my phone for a brief while. At this point Davey Richard texts one of the workers and tells him to text him back. He asks me what's going on? Seemingly unaware of the entire afternoon's conversation and that Tony, can get a little hot headed at times. I inform him of what had transpired, at this point we are 45 minuets into the show, and I tell him that I felt my hands were tied and I was left with no other choice but to cancel. He continues to reply, saying he can't miss out on the pay day and that they are 40 minuets away and want to wrestle and will do the original plan. Keep in mind we are almost an hour into a two hour show now. I inform Davey that I don't think it'll work. I did not want to hold up the show just for them. Again, I felt like they were attempting to take advantage of me. I told Davey that I would call him in the morning and personally make everything right with him. I swore I was willing to compensate Davey for the trouble, but it couldn't work out with the limited time we had at that point. I can't speak for everyone but I am a man of word and have every intention of either through PayPal or wire transfer, sending Davey his cut. Davey said no, we will talk in person and that he is now 20 minuets away.

Roughly a half hour later, with only 30 min left in the show, Davey arrives and storms into the locker room. I meet him at the door and ask to speak to him in person. I follow him outside and am greeted by everyone, Davey, Tony, Kyle and one of Davey's trainees. Unknowingly I was walking into a verbal ambush. I can't post most of the convoy because of the language used by Davey. I was told at least twice that if this were "the old days, I would be taken around the corner and dealt with if the situation wasn't fixed". Was even informed that if he called Jim Cornette, he would tell Davey, and I quote, "Kick his ass." Davey said they were there now, the shows not over we want to go on. Not out of fear, but as a means to resolve the situation I agreed to again change the ending of the show and have Davey and Kyle on the show. Davey said they wanted $375 upfront so they can "get the f*ck out of this town" as soon as it's over. I agreed to pay upfront as a sign of good faith, if they would do it for $350. Davey agreed.

They came inside, quickly began getting in gear to go wrestle. They asked how the match was going to go and quickly worked it out with the other athletes in the match. Davey came up to me in full gear, asked for the pay day, I gave it to him shook his hand and attempted to apologize and said I'm glad we could work something out. Unbeknown to me, Tony had gathered up all their bags and taken them back to the car. Moments before they were to go out, Davey says "I forgot tape" and bolts out the door, into the car, and off down the road.

They gloat now about how they got one over on the small time chump in Milo, Iowa, now referring to themselves as Team Bandit. The reactions of everyone that was in the locker room and things that have been posted is a way of showing their individual outrage on the situation. I appreciate the support from all my peers on the situation. It was never EVER about money and I never accused anyone of not putting on a quality performance. It was about me standing up for myself, my company, refusing to be taken advantage of and most importantly it was about the respect they demanded, but I was never shown in return.

Kudos to Adam Pearce for condemning "Team Ambition" on Twitter. Didn't mince words at all:

@JaysinStrife I think anyone robbing anyone is a piece of shit. In or out of wrestling.

After seeing the footage, & regardless of why, what Tony Kozina did is reprehensible; totally classless. And I really respected Tony. #sad

@BJ_Whitmer As a vet, Tony has to be better than choking out a 16 yo kid, regardless of whether the kid belonged in the ring. Irresponsible.

So, is it crazy that I want Resident Evil to "unretire" to put his two cents in? :lol:

Manliness.

Well, I mean, I understand the promoter's side & I'm on it, since he was literally robbed. But to say it's not about money is ridiculous. Isn't it 100% completely about the money? The money they stole from him. The price that they each tried to negotiate. From $475 to $400 then from $375 to $350. Yeah, that sounds like it's about money to me.

Well, I mean, I understand the promoter's side & I'm on it, since he was literally robbed. But to say it's not about money is ridiculous. Isn't it 100% completely about the money? The money they stole from him. The price that they each tried to negotiate. From $475 to $400 then from $375 to $350. Yeah, that sounds like it's about money to me.

I think his point was that he was going to pay them for their trouble even if they didn't wrestle, so he doesn't see it as quite the "robbery" everyone else does, even if it was still ridiculously unprofessional.

I can tell you he had every intention of compensating them for travel had they not shown up. There were a lot of hot heads yesterday, though, so who knows what was communicated. From what I was privy to of the text conversations through the day, both sides probably could have handled everything better.

Even if he had every intention of paying them, he still tried to negotiate prices and the quarrel was essentially over money. Yeah, the wrestlers wanted to change shit and still get paid the same, which is bullshit, but that's what makes it about the money. He felt like he was being taken advantage of, so he wanted to pay less because of the principle behind it. That still makes it about the money, no? I mean he pretty much talked about money the entire time, that makes it about the money. Even when you say "it's not about the money, if they didn't show I would still pay them" that makes it about the money!

Aren't wrestler against promoter stories always about the money, in general?

No, it's about four professionals taking advantage of a promoter that never had to deal with this before. There's a big difference between compensating someone you told didn't have to show up and having those people show up, tell you they're going to work and run off with the money. If you can't tell the difference, I don't know what to tell you. It's about respect and professionalism.

The wrestlers texted him. They said they wanted to work a different match. The VERY FIRST THING THE PROMOTER SAID, was "well, I have to pay you less then." That's what the entire argument was over. Had he agreed to pay them the same price, none of that convo happens. And we'll never know if they would have worked if they still got the $475. And we'll never know if the promoter would have really sent them money "for their time" if they didn't show up at all, but history seems to indicate that would be unlikely.

I think the wrestlers were just looking to fuck him & rip him off. They were certainly trying to take advantage of him. But it was most definitely about the money.

And apparently you know this guy personally so you can't see the forest from the trees. I hope the wrestlers get blackballed over this but it's just another scummy wrestling story to add to the list and it's almost always about pay.

Who else thinks it is about the money? Why or why not?