Pro Wrestling Only

Davey Richards: Scam Artist

FLIK

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a clue what the "disrespecting" is all about? It's what Davey is justifying the whole nonsense about.

According to one of the interviews that Cody linked, it had to do with one of the wrestlers calling himself the Fakest Fake Wrestler.

Kidd filmed a promo and put it on YouTube to hype the match in advance, as well as hyping it on Twitter. Haven't watched the video in a few weeks, but nothing struck me as out of the ordinary stuff for a young wrestler to say to buikd interest in a match against a veteran. If anything, I would hope a veteran would compliment a young wrestler for taking the time to cut a promo to actually promote an indy match in advance/that the vet was coming to town instead of doing the bare minimum just sharing the event invite on Facebook, Tweeting, etc.

Another climb down by Davey:

Davey Richards issued the following statement to PWInsider.com

“I want to publicly apologize for the comments I said in my shoot interview about Kevin Steen. I was very angry and bitter at some things that were said and done by him during my time as champion.

As different as me and Kevin are professionally, personally I hurt a friend and a very good person. Nonetheless, it’s no excuse and I want to apologize to Steen and his fans and wish him and ROH the very best.”

Richards is referring to a recent shoot interview DVD released by www.Highspots.com.

He called Steen a "shock rock" act that shouldn't be a World champion. Davey thought the belt should be on wrestlers like your Punks, Joes, Aries. Overall he thought it was a desperation act by a desperate company.

• 2 months later...

Stay classy:

There was an issue with Davey Richards and Future Shock Wrestling in England. When Richards did his tour of the U.K. a few months back, he wrestled for the promotion against its champion, Jack Gallagher. During the match, there was an accident and Gallagher ended up being knocked out. Richards, to save the match, had no real choice but to pin Gallagher and win the championship. It wasn’t what they wanted but it was understood it was the only real option at that moment. Richards agreed to come back to drop the title. Their owner, Dave Pownall, claimed Richards pulled out two days before the planned rematch saying he wasn’t going to get on the plane for “anything less than twice the agreed fee.” Between that and the cost of flying him in, they said they couldn’t afford it. They asked, since the booking had fallen apart, if Richards could at least send in a video. Richards sent a video via e-mail 20 minutes after the show started. They had to get Internet access to download it and edit it and with the exception of the guy doing the editing, nobody saw it until it was played at the show after the main event ended. The sound and video quality wasn’t good and the video was not the outline of what they had asked him to say, but instead his running down the company. Richards sent an e-mail to Damien Smith of the promotion on 10/5 saying, “I’ve told you and Dave now, that I am not coming over because we could not agree on the price. Like I said before, since I am champion, my price has to go up so my old fee needs to be at least doubled before I come over.

Here's excerpts from a PowerSlam interview he did on August 31st, about working for Futureshock and other British companies, which proves why it was such a extra, extra scummy thing to do, like rovert says:

Q. Was it an enjoyable experience?

A. Oh man, it was an incredible experience, I can't wait to come back.

Q. What was so uplifting about the trip?

A. Just how well I was treated. I thought the promoter went out of their way to make me feel comfortable...

Q. Is it true that you accidentally knocked Gallagher loopy or out in the bout and, as a result, ended up winning a match and a title you were not meant to?

A. Erm, no. It wasn't an accident. He intentionally head-butted me, so I intentionally head-kicked him. I guess it was an accident he got knocked out. But I was trying to tell him in no uncertain terms: 'Don't head-butt me'. I knew exactly what I was doing: I meant to kick him. It is what it is. Now, I'm the Futureshock champion.

Q. Will you return to defend the title?

A. I'm more than willing to come back to defend the belt. I understand they're a small company. But if they can negotiate, then I can negotiate; I'll put it that way.

I guess he's not going to move to the UK when his ROH contract expires after all then.

"Like I said before, since I am champion, my price has to go up"

haha holy shit, this is something you would write into a fictional story of this situation to make him sound like the biggest asshole possible

Given that he admitted to head-kicking Gallagher on purpose, what the odds that he planned to steal the title all along and then hold up the promoter for more money for a rematch?

The wackiest thing is, doesn't this douchebag realize that these stories will make the rounds and eventually no one will book him?

He probably believes that he's the best wrestler in the world and hence the odds of that happening are zero.

Davey's conduct is obviously completely indefensible, but did the promotion really have no other options? They couldn't declare the match a no contest or have someone run in from the back?

Anyway, I've said it before and I'll say it again: the only acceptable ending to this saga is Davey going into MMA and getting Yuji Nagata'd.

The UK situation could be a work. Credit to W2BTD on the F4W board upon reviewing the video:

I'm leaning work. He brought up the Iowa shit and it feels like he's turning it into a gimmick. I get the sense this is an attention grab by the promotion. Especially if they magically reach his price next month.

Also, note the subtle use of the New Japan shirt, the other promotion he fucked over and was fired from due to the "car accident" that either never happened, or at the very least didn't injure him because he worked the same weekend in the U.S.

Also, are we really to believe that the promotion didn't watch the video before they played it for the fans? And now it's leaked on the internet?

If it's not a work, Davey Richards is the biggest asshole of all time.

There have been reports and comments from coworkers there he is a changed character and is wrestling for fun on the two ROH shows he came back for. He did a professional job for Jay Lethal on the iPPV too. According to Steen on his Highspots shoot interview the two made up too.