rzombie1988

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

I reviewed Memphis 12/22/1984 here:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/cw...stlingl-tv.html

Overall thoughts: Not a really great episode. Iron Mike Sharpe was the highlight here and this was a little bit weak, but not boring or outright bad. The other big highlight was Troy Graham attacking people while in a wheel chair, which was no small feat.

Some shots from the show:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

By the way, if anyone wants to see Memphis, a few kind souls have uploaded a ton of full episodes. Check out these pages for it:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cutrer/videos

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1_eL5i2qq...OuOmSq6w/videos

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm1Agigv7k...SemcNSVA/videos

I grew up in Calgary and have probably watched more Stampede than most on this board, but I could never argue with a straight face that it was better than Memphis.

Stampede is destined to be the "lost territory" due to all the editing that went on with matches that made air, and the fact the masters of almost all that stuff is lost. Lots of 20 minute matches where 5 minutes aired. They were one of the companies that really had no clue what to do when the era of TV being more important than the live show became real. They did good live shows (well, what I remember of them) but they did a poor job putting their product's strengths across on TV a lot of the time.

Ed Whalen killed everything he touched too. I haven't watched much Memphis but them having Solie when he was actually good is a huge edge. He makes that silly empty arena match with Funk and Lawler seem a plausible and halfway believable thing, for one example.

For some reason the clipped stuff doesnt bother me as much and is probably more fitting to the memphis style since it isnt as work rate-y as other places. USWA is one of my favorite promotions ever and a lot of that is based on promos/build up and the gritty trailer park redneck feel of the whole promotion.

Been watching the Embry in USWA 1991 stuff on Youtube...one thing that bugs me...

Are any of the big matches they show clips of available in full anywhere else? Would like to see these in full to really get into the feud completely.

If you mean the different clips of main events on Memphis TV, sadly no. There's a few floating around, mostly from the era where one of the cities got an extra Memphis show with non-studio matches. As for why, no foresight that anyone would want to watch it and they were too busy worrying about what to do the next week.

Details for Jim Cornette and Mark James's forthcoming Memphis scrapbook:

This is a fascinating little project. It's a shame so little of this sort of thing will ever be done.

Jim says Mark and Jim have come up with solid plans for 3-4 similar collaborations.

CWA Memphis TV 2/11/1984 had:

The Zambaui Express vs Jim Jamison and Ira Reese

King Konga and Joe Leduc vs Ken Raper and Jim Jamison

The Road Warriors vs Jerry Lawler and Austin Idol

I reviewed the show with pics and gifs here: http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/cw...tv-2111984.html

Overall thoughts: This was a pretty good show. Joe Leduc and King Konga were pretty awesome and all the promo's and music videos were good. While the matches weren't great, the other stuff being good more than made up for it. Memphis was really loaded at this time with The Roadies, Macho Man, Joe Leduc, and Rick Rude This is worth a look.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Details for Jim Cornette and Mark James's forthcoming Memphis scrapbook:

This is a fascinating little project. It's a shame so little of this sort of thing will ever be done.

Jim says Mark and Jim have come up with solid plans for 3-4 similar collaborations.

I am looking forward to this but I already paid for the Memphis 1977 book. That needs to get done ASAP!!!!

I'm watching January 84 Memphis.

Quick thoughts:

- Lance Russell sounding like a disappointed uncle when Lawler messes up the studio by tarring and feathering people is hilarious. It happens at least two weeks in a row.

- They show a few minutes of Dutch vs Tojo - Whip on a pole/Fighting Stick above the ring ladder match. They just show us the section where Dutch gets the stick from the ladder on. Does anyone know if they actually had a few minutes of a match before this or if that's basically all that happened? I assume we don't have any more footage for this since the whole point is the post-match brawling, but it's just such a fun idea for a match.

• 3 weeks later...

How did the PYTs come about?

I missed a show in there. Austin was part of the First Family and turned on the Bruise Brothers to help out Stagger Lee(Koko). the team up for a few weeks and seem set to feud with Hart's repackaged Bruise Brothers (the New Fabs).

And the next thing I know, they're heels and with Hart again feuding with the "real" New Fabs.

How did the PYTs come about?

I missed a show in there. Austin was part of the First Family and turned on the Bruise Brothers to help out Stagger Lee(Koko). the team up for a few weeks and seem set to feud with Hart's repackaged Bruise Brothers (the New Fabs).

And the next thing I know, they're heels and with Hart again feuding with the "real" New Fabs.

They got pissed at the Fabs and turned on them from what I remember.

• 3 months later...

I'm back with a review of CWA Championship Wrestling from 7/7/1984:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/11/cw...984-review.html

The show was highlighted by Macho Man and Poffomania being pretty awesome along with some fun Ric Flair style heeling by the New Hollywood Blondes. Not a classic episode, but I've seen better and I've definitely seen worse. Mach with a snake was probably the highlight of this.

The show is here if you want to see it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image