Memphis

rzombie1988

Fast forwarding a couple of years here with a review of USWA TV from 1/2/1993:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/12/us...993-review.html

Some shots from the show:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Overall thoughts: I thought this was a pretty good show overall. I enjoyed the Lawler vs Miller feud and The Moondogs were crazy and exciting like always. Miller really stepped it up and got great heat and Lawler did good too. I hated Dundee blowing off the three piledrivers though and they could have used a match of at least a few minutes here. I would recommend this overall.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reviewed USWA Memphis TV 1/9/1993 here:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Overall thoughts: This was a fantastic episode of Memphis Wrestling, probably my second favorite next to the Steve Keirn spaz out episode(http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/12/uswa-memphis-tv-121993-review.html). Everyone was so good here on the mic and their performances were unreal. Lauren Davenport was absolutely awesome and made the show great. I loved her angle and how she tried to play everyone to get her bidding done and finally succeeded. Bert Prentice, Mike Samples and The Bruise Brothers were also very good with their roles and honestly, this episode felt like it transcended wrestling in some ways. Some of these angles and acting are basically what wrestling is trying to do now and honestly isn't even coming close to. Everything here felt real and everyone was really vicious. It was almost like a wrestling version of the Jerry Springer show with people being accused of sex changes, women beating, cat fights and more. There's no way some of this stuff was scripted and that's what put this show on a whole different level. This is Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones' quality level of stuff and this is some of Memphis wrestling at its best. This is really a must see. Don't miss this.

I actually have no idea what Memphis I've seen and what I haven't at this point. I've seen a lot of the available 79-81 TV but I decided to start back with 81 on the side for shits and giggles. I really like the booking at the beginning of the year. They keep escalating things with Lawler vs Hart, first about whether or not he's ready to come back and then the revenge on Ellering who pretended to be king while he was gone and then whether or not he can beat Idol with Hart's record on the line after all of the things Idol had done to him over the years. Then they make LeDuc look like a world killer (and they're so good at bringing up past things like when he chucked Lawler "seven feet.") They keep the ebb and flow as he loses to LeDuc by DQ and has to get lashed ten times because of that.

Meanwhile, Valiant wins a title tournament for the Southern belt by cheapshotting Hector Guerrero before the bell. He gets past Dundee to establish his reign and then gets past Guerrero who wants revenge.

So these are two parallel tracts (for the most part at least), leading to the two of them wrestling at the Cook Convention Center midway through Feb so Lawler can triumphantly get the belt back.

I reviewed USWA TV 1/16/1993 here:

Overall thoughts: Pretty lame episode overall. When Sapphire is the highlight of your program, it's not a good one. I saw way too much of everyone here as the same 8 guys seemed to be involved in every segment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I reviewed USWA TV 1/23/1993 here:

Overall thoughts: Well, this show was better than last week, but that's not saying that much. The matches weren't very good but I did like Mike Samples on the mic, the quick Bruise Brothers promo and the Sapphire/Miss Texas ordeal. The Doug Gilbert turn was very weird though and has no explanation. There wasn't enough here to make this a good episode or a recommended one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I reviewed USWA TV 2/6/1993 here:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/12/us...-tv-261993.html

Overall thoughts: Pretty good show. Doink was really good and entertaining and really provided a different feel to the show. I wasn't sure how he would fit in but he was at his best here. He put forth a great performance in the main event and stretched his opponents like he was Billy Robinson. He made the show here and made this one a good one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lawler was Memphis' best draw but had he went away, Memphis very well could be still around today.

This wasn't the problem at all. Lawler always being around had nothing to do with why they aren't around today.

Lawler never stepping aside to help create a new star hurt Memphis bad.

Lawler left in 1986 for 3 months. Business went into the tank. I am curious how business fared in 1980 when he was injured. I really don't know.

As far as the 1990s, who do you think was going to step in for Lawler? At the time, Jeff Jarrett was great in the ring, horrible interview. Brian Christopher was good. Don't know if he could carry a territory on his own the way Lawler could. They were only getting 1000-2000 fans a week in the 90s, sometimes only 5-600 people even with WWF stars coming in. There was nobody in Memphis who could have risen in Memphis to even sustain the mediocre business the way they were doing. Also, early 90s Memphis was an early training ground for people WWF wanted to go to TV. The minute they get their experience in Memphis, they were going to be called up. Nobody else was going to be a mainstay. They were either not up to Lawler's level or they were passing through. If Lawler leaves and is exclusive to the WWF in 1993, the USWA doesn't lose their TV in 1997. They lose it in 1993.

Lawler was also not a guy who was afraid to put people over. Hell, he gave Snowman the belt like 2 weeks into their feud. HE gave it up to King Cobra. He gave it to nearly everybody. This isn't Flair refusing to lose to Lex Luger. Lawler was willing to dance with anyone who wanted to dance. He was also content on being in the 2nd or 3rd feud from the top when it called for it.

Lawler was Memphis' best draw but had he went away, Memphis very well could be still around today.

This wasn't the problem at all. Lawler always being around had nothing to do with why they aren't around today.

It didn't at all. The territory days were dead and that's what eventually killed Memphis. Costs can only be cut so deep.

Lawler left in 1986 for 3 months. Business went into the tank. I am curious how business fared in 1980 when he was injured. I really don't know.

As far as the 1990s, who do you think was going to step in for Lawler? At the time, Jeff Jarrett was great in the ring, horrible interview. Brian Christopher was good. Don't know if he could carry a territory on his own the way Lawler could. They were only getting 1000-2000 fans a week in the 90s, sometimes only 5-600 people even with WWF stars coming in. There was nobody in Memphis who could have risen in Memphis to even sustain the mediocre business the way they were doing. Also, early 90s Memphis was an early training ground for people WWF wanted to go to TV. The minute they get their experience in Memphis, they were going to be called up. Nobody else was going to be a mainstay. They were either not up to Lawler's level or they were passing through. If Lawler leaves and is exclusive to the WWF in 1993, the USWA doesn't lose their TV in 1997. They lose it in 1993.

Lawler was also not a guy who was afraid to put people over. Hell, he gave Snowman the belt like 2 weeks into their feud. HE gave it up to King Cobra. He gave it to nearly everybody. This isn't Flair refusing to lose to Lex Luger. Lawler was willing to dance with anyone who wanted to dance. He was also content on being in the 2nd or 3rd feud from the top when it called for it.

Lawler was afraid to put a new face over and never would have done it like Fargo did with him. I think it was USWA ref James Beard on Kayfabe Memories who talked about all the various people Lawler refused to put over. They said they tried to get new faces over and Lawler would end up vetoing doing the job. This was near the end and they mentioned Rod Price in particular and not that he's the answer, but it is an example.

The right time for Lawler to start getting a new star ready wasn't the 90's. It was the 80's when they still had great business. In 1986 when he left, the faces they had replacing Lawler in the main were Big Red, Terry Taylor, Dutch Mantel(Better than the other two, but we had been there and done that) and Dirty Rhodes. No wonder business tanked then. They still were able to fight off Vince then in the mid 80's and if they paid the right amount, which they wouldn't have, they would have been able to keep whoever the new star it would be.

It's hard to say who could have been the top star, but then again, it would have been hard to predict that Deacon Batista and "Ruthless Aggression" John Cena were going to be top stars either. You don't know until you actively try to push new people to get them over.

Memphis could have helped themselves more in the 90's too, with the obvious thing being getting rid of Monday night shows. Putting the shows up against Raw and Nitro were just asking for it. James Beard talked about that too.

Lawler put people over every other week.

Dutch Mantell was not a been there, done that guy. When Lawler returned, they popped a huge house with the Bill and Buddy feud. Lawler allowed Rich and Idol to cut his hair the next year. When he turned heel, he jobbed to Kig Cobra, Snowman, etc. Lawler stayed on top because he was the best guy for the role.

Lawler may have vetoed jobs to certain guys but what faces were ready to take over and were already over? Give me some names of guys you think could take over. You brought up Fargo passing the torch. Who was at Lawlers level the way Lawler was at Fargo's level? Te only one I can think of is Jeff Jarrett who also happened to be the co-owners son.

Plus, Lawler was a heel for most of the 70s. He was in a tag team with Dundee for most of his face turns and he was a compelling ace. It wasn't like Fargo gave him the magical top face role.

I lived in Memphis during that time period. The fans hated Jeff Jarrett. They resented having him pushed down their throat every week . . Jeff could have never replaced Lawler . I was always amazed that Jerry Jarrett pushed Jeff so hard and so fast given his feeling about George Gulas.

I say one time about Lawler , he paid his dues. King and Joe Hose would get the crap beat out of them by The Interns every Saturday for months. This was in 1970 , two years before the Lawler , White and Bass trio took the top spot. Jeff Jarrett was placed in a main event feud with Bill Dundee / Landel right out of the gate. .

5575554[/url]']

5575543[/url]' date='Dec 9 2013, 11:48 AM']Lawler put people over every other week.

Dutch Mantell was not a been there, done that guy. When Lawler returned, they popped a huge house with the Bill and Buddy feud. Lawler allowed Rich and Idol to cut his hair the next year. When he turned heel, he jobbed to Kig Cobra, Snowman, etc. Lawler stayed on top because he was the best guy for the role.

Lawler may have vetoed jobs to certain guys but what faces were ready to take over and were already over? Give me some names of guys you think could take over. You brought up Fargo passing the torch. Who was at Lawlers level the way Lawler was at Fargo's level? Te only one I can think of is Jeff Jarrett who also happened to be the co-owners son.

Plus, Lawler was a heel for most of the 70s. He was in a tag team with Dundee for most of his face turns and he was a compelling ace. It wasn't like Fargo gave him the magical top face role.

I lived in Memphis during that time period. The fans hated Jeff Jarrett. They resented having him pushed down their throat every week . . Jeff could have never replaced Lawler . I was always amazed that Jerry Jarrett pushed Jeff so hard and so fast given his feeling about George Gulas.

I say one time about Lawler , he paid his dues. King and Joe Hose would get the crap beat out of them by The Interns every Saturday for months. This was in 1970 , two years before the Lawler , White and Bass trio took the top spot. Jeff Jarrett was placed in a main event feud with Bill Dundee / Landel right out of the gate. .

Nice to have you on board Mark. I brought up Jarrett as someone who had a reason to stay (Daddy) and who was a good wrestler. Horrendous interview. Everyone else was passing through. I didn't even mention the payoffs which means anyone who had another place to go was going to go.

What would have happened if Lawler turned in 93 when he went to WWF and he feuded with Jarrett as the top face? I can't imagine the fans would side with Jarrett over Lawler, but he's a good enough heel that maybe? Jarrett's push in 93 was heinous, with the whole "new fabulous one" stuff and all of his celebrity friends.

I don't like to use "Lawler's level". By the 80's, he was already made and pushed. Plus since he owned a piece of the company, he had a ton of influence that others didn't. It's not really fair. Not sure if anyone could have gotten around that influence.

Dutch was too much of a tweener for that role. I cannot imagine any scenario where Dutch Mantel is the face of the company.

I've seen 1982, some of 1984-1985 and 1992/1993. I can't make statements on any other years because I didn't see them. My picks would be - Savage(the most obvious), Eddie(Something tells me Eddie would have been reliable had he been promised the top star of Memphis throne he had always craved), Rude with a little more seasoning, maybe the original Lord Humongous with more seasoning and a Road Warrior face push(he's really popular and remembered for having such a short run), Moondogs in 92/93(They were easily the most over people on the roster as faces) and Steve Keirn might have been able to get away with some kind of singles run with an earlier push in 82.

• 2 weeks later...

I reviewed USWA TV 2/13/93 here:

Overall thoughts: Pretty lame show overall. The matches all ended as soon as they started and the promo's weren't enough to save them. The show pretty much peaked at the first segment and just never got going.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image