Pro Wrestling Only

Memphis

rzombie1988

Since I've been reviewing a ton of Memphis and I know alot of you guys saw the Best of Memphis 1980's set, I think it'd be perfect for an All-Memphis thread.

I've been slowing working through the 1982 Memphis that I have and man has it been awesome. In about 10 shows, I already saw three all time classics.

Today, I saw the 3/27/1982 edition of Memphis TV. This one featured Dutch vs Lawler in a Loser Leaves Town match. Lawler and Mantel had been 1-1 in the previous weeks with tensions slowly rising. Well this week, it exploded. Dutch lost it and demanded a Loser Leaves Town match. Dutch got off to a hot start but then started going down. He ran to the announce table and pleaded with Lawler to end this silly feud and be friends. Now I know, he's got coming to him, but they were both awesome in this. Dutch insisted that Lawler was the better man and offered to give him the belt. Lawler took it hook, line and sinker and got BLASTED for it. Dutch ran him into the post and cracked him with a chair before counting his own pin.

This was such an awesome angle. It was totally hot, the action was stiff and rough and the finish was great in it's own way. Definitely a must see.

Full review here along with other shows and more upcoming shows:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/cw...eaves-town.html

Memphis 3/6/1982

It starts out with Jimmy Hart debuting his new protege, The Monk. Future wrestlecrap easy, but this was funny at worst.

Then, Jimmy Hart debut's his music video, "We Hate School". If you've never seen it, it's such a trip. Koko B. Ware plays guitar and the Iranian Assassin plays the drums while another masked guy plays guitar as well. This was minimum 10 million stars. This was just great campy fun and I laughed for about 5 minutes straight.

Hart follows it with a promo on the Original Midnight Express of Dennis Condrey, Norvell Austin and Randy Rose. He brings out a "Little Rascals" statue and compares the three.

Then, it got better. Jerry Lawler lost his big rematch to Dutch Mantel and he's totally down. He cuts a promo about how he thinks he's lost a step and how he vows to retire if he loses to Dutch Mantel once again. This was a seriously great promo and I totally bought into all of it. Lawler's acting was so good in this.

Then, it got even better. Steve Keirn had been having problems with Norvell Austin as of late and he just hasn't been able to beat him due to interference and cheating. Keirn finally puts it all on the line in a match favoring Austin. Keirn got a match but he had to put up alot to get it. First off, he had to put up his half of the tag titles, and Bill Dundee, having so much faith in him, put up his half too. However, that wasn't all. Keirn wasn't allowed to throw a punch in this match or else he'd get DQ'd and he had to beat Austin twice in 10 minutes.

Keirn goes up one fall then is looking he good. He even gives Austin a clean break. Austin then spits right in his face after the break and Keirn loses it. He decks Austin and get's DQ'd, losing the tag titles for his team. He freaks out and breaks down on the set, while Austin celebrates like he is the man. Just an awesome performance by Keirn and probably the best character work he ever did.

This show is absolutely must see. The 2/27/1982 episode was completely awesome and this was just as good. The promos and acting in this are top notch and they had me hooked for every second. Definitely check it out, and don't hesitate at all.

Some shots from the show:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll be updating everyone with what I watch and I can't wait to get the discussion on Memphis going strong!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm up to July in my 1991 viewing and its safe to say Eric Ermby is fucking gold, the slimey heel role is played brilliantly by him and Tom Pitchard is also very good as his long term Texas partner. I don't know if he's booking at this point I would hope not as weve just had The Master Baster come though and some other delightful characters. The Memphis Texas feud has been on fire in the first half of the year, the disappointment is you don't see much of the blow offs or top matches. It was nice to a see Steve Austin come though and he really stands out as a star in the few apparences he makes. RVD and Sabu have been a nice adidition to the roster for the summer months, but just as RVD is starts really getting over he seem to be gone. You can see where TNA got there Aces and Eights idea from the Bar Room Bawlers gimmick Doug Vines and Jeff Sword play after the lose a Loser Leaves Town match to Jarrett and Fuller, and the Bar Room Brawl they have looks great equipped with Bar and droids in the ring. Other highlights have been Jim Cornettes ad The Fabs run at the beginning of the year, but that ended to soon as I read in WON that they weren't drawing well against they wage, but Kiern does come back in the summer as a face....

I've heard a few people heavily criticise Memphis wrestling. Not least Bret Hart and Scott from the Place to Be Podcast. Seems like some people treat it as a by-word for "carny shit". Is this attitude still prevalent?

From everything I've read about it, I think I'd love Memphis -- at some point I'll see if I can get the 80s set.

I've heard a few people heavily criticise Memphis wrestling. Not least Bret Hart and Scott from the Place to Be Podcast. Seems like some people treat it as a by-word for "carny shit". Is this attitude still prevalent?

Resident Evil isn't around anymore to conduct a survey on the matter, so there's no way of knowing.

In all seriousness, though, just about everyone with half a brain thinks Memphis is awesome. Cue the Meltzer quote comparing Memphis wrestling to indoor soccer.

Got a Memphis double play today:

First up is the 4/10/1982 show. The main highlights were Lawler trying to become friendly with Dutch and getting turned down hard. The second big highlight was the Angel getting hit with a BASEBALL BAT by Jimmy Hart. It was a seriously good shot too to the stomach. Full report here: http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/cw...tv-4101982.html

Some shots from it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Second up is a bunch of extras. For some reason, there were many different random clips on the 4/10 show, so I decided to review them. One of them is a gold Jerry Lawler promo on his Loser Leaves Town match with Dutch that didn't make the show strangely. Then, there's a good repeat Jimmy Hart promo about crying(he cut the same one for a Louisville Gardens show). Full report here: http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/cw...xtras-from.html

Where should a person start with Memphis if they haven't seen any of it before? I've only seen a couple of the Lawler matches vs Savage, and one against Bockwinkel. It's been a huge blind spot for me for 20 years and it's high time to change that.

This may be a good place to start http://www.youtube.com/user/ChannelExtreme/featured

This is a really good blog on Memphis history http://kentuckyfriedwrestling.com/theword2/

Where should a person start with Memphis if they haven't seen any of it before? I've only seen a couple of the Lawler matches vs Savage, and one against Bockwinkel. It's been a huge blind spot for me for 20 years and it's high time to change that.

I think the 80s Memphis set is the way to go, with the soon-to-be-released 1990 Yearbook as a great companion too.

Well, if you are into Savage and Bockwinkel, you want to look at 83/84 since that's when they were around. Savage debuts in December 1983.

Any memphis is good memphis though. I'd reccomend taking a looking at my blog and it will give you some good ideas as to what's going on in 1982. I am thinking of making a small FAQ about it possibly.

You might also want to check the memphis section of kayfabe memories, that will give you a history of it and bring you up to speed.

The Memphis Heat documentary may be a good idea too.

Honestly there are a lot of youtube "Series" some of which posted by some of the fine people here, that will give you tastes.

Just a few examples.

- Eddie Gilbert's 1990 run

- Randy Savage/Dutch Mantell feud from 84

- Billy and Buddy Show

Midnight Rockers in Memphis

and so on. But really, it's worth watching whole years' worth of TV.

Best of Memphis 12/1982 to 5/1983 Part 1:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/be...983-part-1.html

Overall thoughts: This was a great part 1 of this disc. The Koko turn was great and Bobby Eaton was the man in this. Lawler was really good too and what can I saw, you want all of it. 1982/1983 were clearly different times as you know the blackfacing of Lawler wouldn't have went over well anywhere.

Some shots from it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Best of Memphis 12/1982 to 5/1983 Part 2 was quite the disk. Had lots of cameos with people like Adrian Street(in Memphis of all places), Stagger Lee and BOBBY HEENAN. Full review here:

http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/be...983-disk-2.html

Some shots from it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wrapping up watching the Crane Memphis stuff. I just watched Tommy Gilbert vs. Larry Latham go for 15 minutes and it was fucking great. When it started, I was sorta half paying attention but a few minutes in I was riveted. And the last five minutes are killer.

I've been on a Memphis marathon all night and it's been a blast. I've been re-reading Bret Hart's book again recently, and while it's probably one of the best wrestler bios ever..when he rags on Memphis for being "hokey" while Stampede was "realistic", I always roll my eyes. I'll grant you, I've only seen a handful of old Stampede and I've seen a ton of old Memphis, and Stampede was boring as fuck with a shitty announcer and Memphis is just awesome with the greatest announcer(s).

Here's a funny letter about Memphis that appeared in an issue of Mat Results in 1985:

"In recent bulletins (including Mat Results) I've read numerous derogatory remarks about the AWA and their tv show on ESPN. I didn't understand this until the latest issue of Mat Results.

You state that the Memphis arena wrestling and tv shows were among the best in the country at present. I've also seen this expressed in other bulletins.

You wrote you liked the tv show because during the matches and interviews the wrestlers attack each other with boards, trash cans, benches etc. Sure doesn't sound like WRESTLING to me.

The arena shows feature Jerry Lawler as the top star. Jerry has little wrestling ability relying basically on punching and the fine wrestling manuever of throwing fire. Recent champs have been Bota the Witch Doctor and Taras Bulba, 2 wrestlers with very little ability. I really doubt if either could do a good match with Lawler or anyone else for that matter.

You mentioned Fabs vs. Sheepherders for feud of the year. From what I've seen on tape and read in the bulletins they primarily take turns hitting each other with chairs, chains, tables, flag poles etc. This doesn't quite sound like wrestling either.

I'm very surprised that fans who like the Memphis buffoonery don't also love the WWF circus. If Memphis "wrestling" is the best I'd much rather stick with the ridiculed AWA. The recent Martel vs. Gordy match on ESPN was great WRESTLING not the board breaking, chair smashing, chain swinging, fire throwing "action" etc. in Memphis.

If you haven't, do yourself a favor and get the 80's Memphis set..I was also one of those who thought Memphis was all carny and hard to watch, but my mind was changed 100%. They have a style all their own, and that style is not my favorite, but damn its fun, makes sense and has some incredible action in it all around.

Soo much talent just starting out was there and getting their feet wet in the industry and having great matches. Their tag scene is heavily underrated..

I have several of the 90's years of Memphis, haven't started on those yet.but really looking forward to it!

I'm wrapping up watching the Crane Memphis stuff. I just watched Tommy Gilbert vs. Larry Latham go for 15 minutes and it was fucking great. When it started, I was sorta half paying attention but a few minutes in I was riveted. And the last five minutes are killer.

I've been on a Memphis marathon all night and it's been a blast. I've been re-reading Bret Hart's book again recently, and while it's probably one of the best wrestler bios ever..when he rags on Memphis for being "hokey" while Stampede was "realistic", I always roll my eyes. I'll grant you, I've only seen a handful of old Stampede and I've seen a ton of old Memphis, and Stampede was boring as fuck with a shitty announcer and Memphis is just awesome with the greatest announcer(s).

I grew up in Calgary and have probably watched more Stampede than most on this board, but I could never argue with a straight face that it was better than Memphis.

I was 8 years old when I attended my first wrestling match. The year was 1968 and the location was Memphis , TN.

Jerry Jarrett and Tojo had been trying to win the Southern Tag Titles from Dr, Ken Ramey's Masked Interns. Dr. Ramey was a former MD who lost his license due to multiple malpractice lawsuits . The two Masked Interns were medical school dropouts who fell under Dr. Ramey's evil spell . The Interns worn masks to conceal their true identities .

The match was a wild brawl full of action . Anyway , the match ended when Jarrett was counted out by the ref . Jarrett had his head shaved bald in the middle of the ring . The good doctor and his Interns mocked Jarrett from a nearby stage while he was shaved bald. The sellout crowd went nuts , they wanted to tear Ramey and his Interns to pieces. It was great and I became a fan of Memphis wrestling for life.

The heat from the crowd was white hot , that realistic wrestling. The Jarrett/ Tojo vs. Interns feud was Memphis magic. Just throwing my 2 cents in.