Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-02-03-USWA-Championship Sports] Steve Austin vs Chris Adams feud recap

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Percy Pringle introduces a highlight package of the Steve Austin vs Chris Adams feud up until this point. The week before, Steve Williams corrects the record - his name is Steve Austin - and gets in Adams' face when they are doing a promo. He calls Adams a coward when he tries to walk away from a fight and we have clips of an impromptu match. Austin ends up pulling a foreign object from his tights to punch Adams and secure the win. This week, Austin and Adams had another confrontation and they ended up having another impromptu match. Jeff Gaylord and Skandor Akbar end up running in and coming to Austin's defense and it looks like Austin has joined Devastation Inc. Knowing all the twists and turns this feud took, it's interesting to see the tipping point.

Austin is pretty raw at this point but his potential is there, and he even starts to sound like Stunning Steve when he cuts the first post-match promo telling Adams and the fans that he doesn't need them.

Pringle and Terrence Garvin sound almost exactly alike, which is jolting. Pringle's voice is not cut out for play-by-play.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a feud I've always wanted to see. I'm really looking forward to see how this plays out on the set.

Me too. I remember picking up a PWI Awards issue out of habit just to have something to read where Austin won 1990 Rookie of the year and it read like some great shit. I've waited 22 years to see it all.

Oh, and I had a flannel shirt that was red with black stars just like Pringle's jacket.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Did they ever explain in the storyline why Steve Williams changed his name to Austin? I'm pretty sure that his legit reason was that he didn't want to be confused with Doc, but did they ever say anything about it on promos or interviews? Introducing him as Akbar's "Six Million Dollar Wrestler" might have been a good way to start him off.

I can hear glimmers of Stone Cold already, although Austin's voice is much higher here. Adams, by contrast, doesn't sound like a whole lot at all. He was much better on the mic as part of the Dynamic Duo with Gino Hernandez.

Please let this be the end of Terrance Garvin. Whoever thought he could approach even the worst of Jesse Ventura as a heel commentator needed to be fired.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Percy Pringle introduces some highlights from last week at the Sportatorium of what happened between Chris Adams and Steve Austin. Adams introduces his star pupil, Steve Williams, to Marc Lowrance, and Williams corrects him and tells him it’s Steve Austin, and not to forget it. Austin tells Adams that he doesn’t need him nine months from now or two years from now, and challenges him to get in the ring. Adams heads to the back and it’s only when Austin calls him a ‘coward’ that it gets his attention. Highlights of a match between the two air, and after an Adams backdrop, Austin pulls a chain out of his tights and nails him with it for the pin. Austin then says that he showed that punk that he doesn’t need him, doesn’t need the fans and doesn’t need anyone.

From this week Adams was due to take on Ray Evans but Austin came out and challenged him again. Not much to the match as Austin jumps him before he gets the chance to enter the ring and puts the boots to him. When Adams manages to turn the tide, Jeff Gaylord (soon followed by Skandor Akhbar) runs out and attacks him for the DQ.

Very solid start to the feud. Whilst not the talker that he would later become, Austin more than holds his own on the mic. We don’t get much of an idea on what he’s like as a worker because the bout we see is so short, although he was perfectly fine on offense and took a couple of nice bumps. Looking forward to seeing how this one develops.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-02-03-USWA-Championship Sports] Steve Austin vs Chris Adams feud recap