Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-02-17-NWA-Worldwide] Midnight Express vs Brian Pillman & Tom Zenk

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty one-sided for the babyfaces, and not as much heat as you typically get from Midnight Express matches, but it still has its moments. The bigger highlight is Chris Cruise and Terry Funk on commentary. The MX go overboard to make Pillman and Zenk look good, but the Rock & Rolls match is much better. Cornette eating the sleeper from Tom Zenk gets the biggest pop of the match.

What is with Cruise constantly defending Cornette? This is a shockingly one-sided affair that makes some of the WWF heel-in-peril tags look one-sided in the other direction. Some good energy from Pillman but Zeaman (I'm stealing Terry Funk's pronunciation from now on) is pretty useless. Cornette getting the sleeper gets a big reaction which I guess is partially to Zenk's credit, as is his kickout after the racket shot--a false finish that had the crowd completely fooled judging by their pop. Finish comes right after that instead of any segment of Zenk getting worked over.

Pillman & Zenk vs. the Freebirds is a pretty anticlimactic tournament final. A testament to how far the Midnights had fallen.

Good little match that thought Express would be victors but they seemed to be playing catch up the whole time. Zenk looked to have made a mistake by putting Cornette in sleeper and exposing himself to get hit from behind. But he kicks out. Faces pull out the sneaky victory without using a legal tag. Cornette does his flopping on the mat tantrum.

• 3 weeks later...

"It's not Pillman and Zman, it's Pillman and Z-Man." I love this commentary team. I want to do commentary with Terry Funk.

Not a great match but an effective one, as the MX thoroughly put over Pillman and Zenk, selling for most of the match, letting Zenk kick out of the racquet shot, and then losing cleanly. Makes perfect sense since Pillman and Zenk were getting the belts in the end, and lord knows the Freebirds weren't going to put them over this strong in the finals, so the MX are the good soldiers and do it properly in the semis.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A coming-out party for Pillman and Zenk, as they dominate almost from start to finish. Not quite a squash, because the MX does get some offense in, but the only time there's a doubt about who will win is after Lane's racquet shot on Zenk. You know things are bad for the MX when Bobby misses the rocket launcher by a country mile. To be fair to Pillman and Zenk, they had to accept the gift that Corny's boys were giving, and they do so with a flourish, Brian in particular. I'm beginning to see why he's so highly touted; he looks like World champion material for the second time on this set.

After a performance like this, you're left to wonder how far Brian and Tom could have gone in a world without the Steiners. I could see them being at least credible challengers for the World titles, but that was never going to happen as long as Rick and Scotty were not only champions, but being built up like no team since the Road Warriors. I wonder if Brian and Tom ever got any shots at Doom once Simmons and Reed took the belts in the spring. If they did, I'm pretty sure that none of them made the set.

• 11 months later...

The Z Man with Cornette in a sleeper is an absolute dream come true. Startling to see so little offense from the Midnights here, I don't care for that at all. I thought we were going to get the MX taking over after the rackett stuff which would have been cool to see a real even match like that, but it never came. That's too bad, I think that would have really done it for me.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-02-17-NWA-Worldwide] Midnight Express vs Brian Pillman & Tom Zenk
  • 2 years later...