Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-03-02-Hamada's UWF] Negro Casas vs Yoshinari Asai

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Some of this did look overly cooperative, especially in the early going, but...well, I've overgeneralized enough about UWF without doing it for lucha too, but generally lucha tends to be a lot...looser than this match. No air in this--the holds were worked nice and snug and when they weren't working holds they were pounding the shit out of each other. There were some awkward moments and Asai did a whole lot of spin kicks considering he whiffed on probably half of them. Not a great match but Asai did get to show off a lot more stuff here than he did in the 6-man.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually enjoyed this a good bit as a look into early Ultimo. I found it interesting that at this early point in his career he covers his botches much better than he would later on. This is definitely a showcase match that gets into your turn my turn territory but they did show some restraint and the match was the right length.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Fine introduction to Japanese-style lucha libre. It was worked more like a regular Japanese wrestling match that I thought it would be, but considering that I'm still not sure about lucha as a style, that's not exactly a bad thing. The crowd didn't seem really into this, but that could be because it's a relatively new promotion. Looking forward to seeing more.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-03-02-Hamada's UWF] Negro Casas vs Yoshinari Asai