Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-03-03-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Interview: Ric Flair / Interview: Lex Luger

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Cornette and Ross have a fun discussion of the Wrestle War match between Flair and Luger. They obviously see things in different ways. We get post-match promos from Luger and Flair at Wrestle War. Luger does a really good promo explaining why he gave up the world title win to save Sting. Flair says he's Luger's master and Sting's master. Flair warns Luger that if he rides with Sting, he dies with Sting. Doing the promos right after the match and airing them over the weekend was a really cool touch. We wrap up with a PO box address where fans can send get well wishes to Sting.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely loved the immediate aspect of this right after the match with Luger looking completely spent. He gives a good job describing why he gave up a chance at the title and I can see things from his perspective. Flair is being really devious in his promo. Really good stuff that looked real professional.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What does it say about me when I hear Jim Cornette is going to make a Michael J. Fox joke, and I automatically assume it's going to be a Parkinson's joke (besides the fact that Jim Cornette would have to be a fortune teller to know that Michael J. Fox would contract Parkinson's in 1990)?

Good promos by Luger and Flair. I like that this is kind of a slow turn with Luger, that they aren't pretending he's undergone some radical life change going from heel to babyface, but letting his own actions speak for themselves in his turn. Pretty different from how he turned in WWF, where he steps off of helicopter and all traces of The Narcissist are gone. Flair does a typical Flair promo.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I liked the fact that these were taped right after the WrestleWar bout because it made them seem more spontaneous. Nothing all that unexpected; Luger explains himself, while Flair and Woman ridicule him for being stupid enough to walk away from the title. A similar dynamic between JR and Corny, as JR confidently predicts that Lex will be the next NWA World Champion, while Corny rejects the notion out of hand. These do their job of moving the story forward.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Jim Ross thinks that Ric Flair was lucky to walk out of Wrestle War as the World Champion, but Jim Cornette says Lex Luger’s fatal weakness is human compassion, and that’s what led to his downfall nothing else. They air the end of the match from Wrestle War and Cornette says again how Luger couldn’t get the win because of that fatal human weakness, he should’ve forgotten about Sting and forgot about everything except winning that World title.

Gordon Solie caught up with Lex Luger after the match and Luger says that he’s all business when it comes to wrestling, he doesn’t try to win any popularity contests, but sometimes you react on instinct. He may try to take people out, but when he does it he does it by himself, not two guys against one on crutches. He tells Ric Flair that this isn’t the end of the match, it will be continued, but this will be the final chapter. Ric Flair’s reign as World Heavyweight champion is coming to an end, that’s not a threat, it’s a promise.

Jim Ross announces that a rematch between the two has already been signed before we get some comments from Ric Flair.

Flair and Woman are with Gordon Solie and obligatory comment about how stunning Woman is looking here! Woman says that if Luger couldn’t get the job done tonight he’s never going to get it done. Flair says that wehen your name is Ric Flair, are stood with Woman and Gordon Solie and are holding the World Heavyweight title, you don’t care what anybody has to say. He knows he is both Luger and Sting’s master. Tonight Sting came close to losing that leg and if he continues to pursue the World title, that’s exactly what’s going to happen. He then tells Luger that if you ride with Sting, you die with Sting.

I really like the visual of these interviews, with both men tired, exhausted and sweaty after the rigours of the match. Gives everything a much more authentic feel to things, like a sports contest. Wrestling should do it more often.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-03-03-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Interview: Ric Flair / Interview: Lex Luger