Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-04-14-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Rhythm & Blues

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This looked really dated in 1990. Honky just personifies and 80's type gimmick in my mind so I couldn't get on board with the R&B tag team but I was surprised at the transformation of the Hammer considering we just saw him at the Rumble as his usual persona. I had never realized how quickly the dye job and gimmick came about.

• 1 month later...

Who looks at Greg Valentine and decides that he needs to start dressing more like the Honky Tonk Man? I know they needed something to do with Honky around this time, and they needed something to do with Valentine, and Valentine was good in tag teams, but...this doesn't really work.

• 1 year later...

Seeing Greg in this garbage gimmick makes my soul weep. The idea of Greg and Honky as a team is actually a good one, certainly no worse than Valentine and Beefcake a few years earlier, and they turned out to be decent champions. The problem is making the Hammer into Roy Orbison (at least I think that's who they were going for, according to Greg), and forcing the gimmick to take over every aspect of their performance. Just put them together and let them wrestle; they'd already been a team at Mania V against the Harts and gotten at least one televised match against Demolition in the summer of '89. The combination of wacky Honky and dead-serious Valentine would have been a nice contrast. Instead we got this slop which benefitted nobody. Eventually (if I recall correctly) Valentine rebelled, and they let him go blonde again and dropped the Rhythm & Blues name from the team, but it was already too late.

"Brother Rhythm" and "Brother Blues"? Let's just be glad that that was a Brother Love quirk and that Vince didn't actually simply start referring to one of them as "Rhythm" and the other as "Blues", as he's been known to do once other gimmicks got rolling.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Brother Love’s music plays to introduce the show and Vince McMahon says that if there is one person he hopes doesn’t make Wrestlemania VII it’s this man! Love says how his guests this week recently thrilled 67,678 people at Wrestlemania with their new hit single which is climbing the charts and destined to be number one. They will soon be on American Bandstand, MTV and Soul Train, but they’re here right now, Rhythm & Blues! Love says to Honky how it must have been a thrill to perform in front of 67,000 people who were on their feet for them and loving every minute of ‘Hunka, Hunka, Hunka, Honky Love’? Honky says it was more than a thrill and made the hairs on the back of his neck curl! It made him feel so good when the crowd stood up and said ‘play it one more time!' Honky always wants to please his fans and agreed to do it but the Bushwhackers came out and ruined everything. Valentine says how Jimmy Hart worked so hard painting their guitars and the Bushwhackers destroyed them. He apologises to Hart and says it will never happen again. They are going to destroy the Bushwhackers just like they destroyed their guitars.

I dread to think what the matches between these two were like! I’m almost certainly in the minority, but I don’t think Valentine looks that bad dressed up all like Roy Orbison. I never knew he transitioned to Rhythm & Blues so soon after the Garvin feud though.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-04-14-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Rhythm & Blues