Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-05-18-EMLL] Atlantis & Angel Azteca & Javier Cruz vs El Dandy & El Satanico & Emilio Charles Jr

Loss

• 1 month later...

This isn't quite as crisp and heated as the match a week before, but it does work as a nice follow-up to the previous week's six-man. Dandy/Satanico/Emilio really dominate this match for the most part. Dandy hurts his shoulder in an exchange with Atlantis, and Satanico begs for a time out to tend to him. In spite of this, they win this two straight, as Dandy goes to the apron for the remainder of the match. Emilio and Cruz get into a little scuffle after the match that makes me wish they would have had a singles match around this time.

The technicos actually did win the first fall. Dandy eats a DDT off the second turnbuckle which is sold as a tombstone (and compared to such by the announcers), but Satanico is successfully able to finagle a timeout for his team when it appears that Atlantis has him dead and buried. The subsequent battle with Satanico trying to pay back Atlantis by repeatedly dropping him on his head is my favorite part of the match.

• 4 weeks later...

A damn good match. One thing I am surprised about knowing the history coming up between Dandy/Azteca is how good the exchanges between Dandy/Atlantis are. I really wish the 6/8 title match between the two would surface up. The shoulder injury was played well here and I liked the pinfall reversal to end the final fall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quality level was between the 2nd and 1st trios matches of the month of May. Generally good action again with some sweet mat exchanges. Went downhill a bit in the tercera. Cruz was again a weak link. Some moves he did were well executed, others certainly not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I was able to get into this one a little more due to the great work on Dandy's shoulder by the rudos. I also liked the tecnicos (Satanico in particular) knowing that Dandy was hurt and trying to protect him. I didn't catch both parts of the third fall again; it takes away from the experience knowing that they can render two decisions at once and still not catching both of them, although some of it is due to the subpar camera work.

I think I'm slowly but surely starting to get there on the trios matches, but I'm looking forward to the one-on-one bouts, which will no doubt be easier to follow (at least I hope so!).

1990 was a rough intro to lucha trios and tags, as the first several all seemingly had a bunch of turns and angles that didn't make a great deal of sense to non-Spanish speakers (and maybe to some Spanish speakers too). The action and the booking do get better. But you'd better get used to subpar camera work.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-05-18-EMLL] Atlantis & Angel Azteca & Javier Cruz vs El Dandy & El Satanico & Emilio Charles Jr