Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-06-07-Hamada's UWF] Gran Hamada & Perro Aguayo & Kendo vs El Signo & El Texano & Negro Navarro

Loss

• 1 month later...

This had a fantastic first fall, with Hamada working some incredible athletic spots, Kendo continuing to work the crowd like a champ, and Aguayo being incredibly fun in his new babyface role after working as a big, bruising heel for his first few appearances. The rudos provide probably the greatest array of heel miscommunication spots in any match in history. Aguayo gets the fall for his team and the crowd chants for Kendo anyway. That's charisma.

The second and third falls don't quite live up to the first, as there's a bit of meandering and despite some stiff strikes the rudos are a bit less compelling on offense than working comedy stooge spots. All 3 babyfaces looked great throughout. It's too bad Hamada was such a stumpy little guy--he literally looks like an extra-tall midget--I think it hurt him on the believability scale, as he would have been better off as New Japan's junior ace than Sayama based purely on talent and ring smarts.

• 2 weeks later...

Kendo does look good here and I probably jinxed myself complaining about Hamada because his sequence with all three guys in the first fall is breathtaking and one of my favorite cat and mouse chase sequences I have ever seen. However, again I thought a lot of steam was lost after the first fall and this match felt really long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hamada gets backed body dropped? Even the fans were stunned at that. These rudos are not putting up with Kendo’s shenanigans. I’m thinking how the rudos are working well together but then they do a series of spots of hitting each other in error. Ha, Kendo’s multiple kip up thingy is a riot and the rudo’s team reaction of just standing there and letting Kengo walk away was fun. This Kendo guy is cracking me up. Fans start mocking one of the rudos. Entertaining match.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I noticed two things in particular about this match:

1. Kendo was the most over guy in this promotion at the moment, yet he really doesn't do much that makes him different from anyone else. It's indescribable, really, but then charisma often is.

2. In several earlier threads pertaining to matches from this promotion, people have mentioned drunk and/or disrespectful crowds. This was one of them. The only one really over was Kendo, and most of the moves, particularly in the last two falls, got the so-called "Warrior/DiBiase treatment". It's the first time that I've really noticed a Japanese crowd doing that, and it's horribly distracting. The jumpy fan cam doesn't help either.

Not a bad match, much easier to follow than most of the trios matches so far. Still, I'm glad to be done with this type of match until July.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-06-07-Hamada's UWF] Gran Hamada & Perro Aguayo & Kendo vs El Signo & El Texano & Negro Navarro