Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-09-22-NWA-Pro] Ric Flair & Arn Anderson vs Brian Pillman & Tom Zenk

Loss

• 2 months later...

Zenk was an almost complete wall ornament here, which may have been for the best. Arn is so good at working disoriented when facing high flyers, and Flair and Pillman light each other up with some hard chops. This had all the makings of a really good match, but never quite got there, as it was pretty one-sided in favor of the babyfaces until the last few minutes. It also needed more time for how they laid out the match. But it was fun to see these guys go at it for 10 minutes. Flair and Pillman really try to build the entire match around their stiff chops, and they do some really spirited brawling on the outside of the ring. Those two had way more great singles matches in them. It's a shame only a couple of them made TV.

The Doom/Horsemen post-match brawl had awesome heat.

What a weak-sauce DQ, as the match is thrown out because Arn DDTs Zenk on the floor. Match was sort of an abbreviated good match before then. I've bitched about matches that I felt were longer than they needed to be, and we had the opposite problem here. Pillman was great working with Arn and lighting up Flair with chops, but the FIP segment was pretty perfunctory. Doom runs in after the match and a brawl is on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I didn't care for this one much. This felt like a Flair/Pillman singles bout with Zenk and Arn thrown in for good measure. The chop exchanges between Flair and Pillman are all this one really has to recommend it, as Flair and Arn had almost no continuity in what was supposed to be a bout that showed off their skills as a team.

Yes, Pete, the DQ was weak, but they needed to end the match and get to Flair and Arn's brawl with Doom. Unfortunately, we saw less than fifteen seconds of it before the feed went to break. How Loss could tell what kind of heat the thing had in fifteen seconds I have no idea. (I'm talking after the initial expected pop when Simmons and Reed showed up out of nowhere.)

I would have been more interested in Tony's interview with Jack Brickhouse than anything that we got out of this match. I'll bet Jack had some wonderful stories to tell, even if they were all kayfabed.

Nice mention by Tony of Flair's past as a tag team champion, even if it was kind of glossed over in order to plug his World title reigns (which was perfectly understandable).

Has Arn defended the TV title since the Horsemen turned heel? If he has, I wonder why you guys didn't include at least one or two of those matches on the set.

Has Arn defended the TV title since the Horsemen turned heel? If he has, I wonder why you guys didn't include at least one or two of those matches on the set.

He barely did, working tags for a huge chunk of the year. Even his high-profile singles matches were mostly non-title. Orndorff, Luger, Scott Steiner, etc. He does have a three-match series against Terry Taylor in November that's on the set.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-09-22-NWA-Pro] Ric Flair & Arn Anderson vs Brian Pillman & Tom Zenk