Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-12-15-WWF-Superstars] Mr Perfect vs Kerry Von Erich

Loss

• 3 months later...

Ted DiBiase is the special guest ring announcer, buying off Howard Finkel. DiBiase helps Hennig win the IC title, and the heat is on DiBiase, even though he was finishing a feud with Dusty and would then go right into a feud with Virgil. Not a criticism, just an observation. In fact, I've noticed that DiBiase has more heat put on him than just about anyone in the WWF.

• 4 weeks later...

Kerry would actually go over DiBiase at a number of house shows, often with Virgil in his corner. Weird, because his push completely evaporated after that and he stuck around for another year doing pretty much nothing. This is a bad match but another strong angle involving DiBiase. I'm honestly starting to think that DiBiase could be 1990 MVP of the company among guys who were there throughout the year. I mean, obviously the true MVP is Hogan, but he was gone for the summer and Savage was saddled with Rhodes for too long. DiBiase had his hands in just about everything.

Kerry would actually go over DiBiase at a number of house shows, often with Virgil in his corner. Weird, because his push completely evaporated after that and he stuck around for another year doing pretty much nothing. This is a bad match but another strong angle involving DiBiase. I'm honestly starting to think that DiBiase could be 1990 MVP of the company among guys who were there throughout the year. I mean, obviously the true MVP is Hogan, but he was gone for the summer and Savage was saddled with Rhodes for too long. DiBiase had his hands in just about everything.

There really is something to that. The Bossman turn, the end of the Savage/Dusty feud, Dustin's debut, the Undertaker's debut, Perfect getting the belt back, one of Warrior's biggest title defenses.

DiBiase is the special ring announcer. Finkel sells out! So there was a DiBiase/Von Erich feud? DiBiase remains ringside. He ends up hitting Von Erich. I didn’t know these guys had issues. Referee down. Discus punch. DiBiase helps Perfect to his feet. Perfect Plex wins in. That’s it for Kerry. Not much of a match. Interesting that Ted is still feuding with the Rhodes, things are stirring with Virgil and now he's costing Von Erich the IC Title.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This was as close to a squash as you can get in a title match. Kerry only got in a few licks; most of the match belonged to Curt (and Teddy). The fact that they had Curt use the Perfectplex proves it; even though Kerry could rightfully claim that DiBiase hit him with the IC title belt, the last image we saw was Kerry being pinned clean by a wrestling move. There's really nowhere else to go for Kerry after this, and he doesn't. I don't even think he faced Teddy on TV; as far as most of the fans knew, Teddy went right from Dusty and Dustin to Virgil with nothing else in between. So much for Vince loving and always wanting the Von Erich family in the WWF.

Piper and Honky actually had some nice chemistry here; with a little time, they could have developed into a good color team. Unfortunately, Honky left not too long after this.

I liked the "Finkel gets bought" angle, as Howard is about the last person you'd expect the Million Dollar Man to be able to get to. The problem is, Vince, Piper, and Honky talk over Teddy's ring announcements. I'm sure he hammed it up for the crowd with insults during Kerry's introduction, but the TV audience never heard those insults, if they happened. I know Teddy got involved in the finish, so the angle wasn't a total waste, but if we weren't actually going to hear him do the ring announcing, they should have just had him come down from the back at the very end, like they usually did with run-ins. On the plus side, I guess Howard got to enjoy his money, provided that he was allowed to keep it.

Considering that Kerry never got to do much as IC champion and probably only won the title since the plan was for Beefcake to win originally, they probably should have just had Curt keep it and challenge Honky's record for longest reign, although they probably wouldn't have mentioned it much by the time SummerSlam '91 rolled around, considering that Honky was long gone. Taken together, Curt's reigns would have lasted just a hair less than sixteen months, breaking Honky's record by almost two months.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-12-15-WWF-Superstars] Mr Perfect vs Kerry Von Erich