Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-09-WCW-Saturday Night] Ric Flair and Ranger Ross

Loss

• 1 month later...

Ranger Ross gets out about a half a word before Ric Flair jumps him and beats him up. Flair does one of his furious, maniacal interviews where he's ripping off his clothes and screaming. He's upset about being humiliated (not sure by whom) and hypes the cage match against Sting in the Omni. WCW using national TV time to hype local shows is one of the worst things about the promotion in a long list of bad things.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Ranger Ross makes it to 1991??!!

he actually got a serious push thanks to the gulf war, then IIRC he fucked it all up by beating his wife and getting involved with other shady stuff

didn't he try to burn down the police station too? seem to recall that...

So that explains the big gap (1991-2004) in the career section of his wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger_Ross)

• 8 months later...

Flair would have attacked anyone who wasn't a Horseman in order to get that interview time. It had nothing to do with how high Ranger Ross was in the packing order, or anything to do with him at all, for that matter.

I agree that screaming Flair fell kind of flat here; then again, he has (at least to my ears) since some time in the mid-eighties. For someone who's supposed to be one of the world's smoothest operators, he spends most of his time coming off like a just-escaped mental patient. He isn't a bad promo by any stretch, but he's not one of the best in history, and he's not even the best among the Horsemen. Arn and Tully both run rings around him when they're on their game.

I said in an earlier thread that I couldn't really blame WCW for hyping Omni shows on TBS if they had no syndication in Atlanta. The question then becomes: Why didn't they get syndication in Atlanta, and on what else did they choose to spend the money that would have gotten them said syndication?

I think JR's seen Flair's act too often to be truly outraged. He was probably selling chagrin at the interview being interrupted more than disgust at Flair's actions.

Flair pinned Sting clean in the cage match, by the way.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-03-09-WCW-Saturday Night] Ric Flair and Ranger Ross