Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-06-14-WCW-Clash of the Champions XV] Paul E. Dangerously and Jason Hervey

Loss

• 3 months later...

I hate you, Jason Hervey. Paul E. keeps asking him question and yanking the mic away every time he starts to talk. Paul E. is now WCW's top babyface! He confesses that he's dating Missy Hyatt and has a new car. Paul E. wants to know if he and Missy are in love. Jason Hervey responds by asking how Paul E. felt getting his butt kicked by a woman. Paul E. asks why when everything is new in his life, his girlfriend is used merchandise. Hervey talks a little smack, and ends up getting hit with a telephone. Missy makes the save. I will watch Jason Hervey get attacked anytime I need a pick-me-up.

Paul E. asks Hervey various questions about The Wonder Years and cuts him off before he can respond. What a fucking shrimp--Paul E. towers over this guy and I'm pretty sure Gary Coleman could have kicked his ass, too. My only real familiarity with The Wonder Years as a kid was it came on in local syndication right after The Disney Afternoon after school, as a rather blunt signal that cartoon time was over for the day. So my only regret about this segment was that Fred Savage didn't get a phone upside the head as well.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

In addition to the sheer satisfaction of the phone shot, I thought Ross and Schiavone gave this segment a boost with their surprising level of gravitas. Paul E hadn't ever been presented as a physical threat to anyone that I recall, including Cornette and Missy. Not that I was ever going to feel sorry for Jason Hervey.

Hervey actually acts like a humble fan here, with no mention of his past as Dusty's sidekick, even though his last appearance on The Bull Drop Inn was just six days ago. That makes him the babyface by default, I guess, along with Heyman's usual cheap shots at Missy. JR and Tony treat this as if it was an attack on an active competitor, which is laughable when you think about it.

Maybe if Hervey had never appeared on WCW TV before and was just a celebrity out of the crowd, this may have worked better. Even if this had been postponed a couple of months to let fans forget about The Bull Drop Inn, it may have had a fighting chance. Under these circumstances? No way. I'm sure there were quite a few people cheering Heyman that night in Knoxville, and I don't think having Missy, who was still a skank to a lot of people even though she was a surprisingly good babyface against Heyman, as a girlfriend helped matters out any.

The best thing they could have done if they were determined to run this was have Dusty come out to make the save, but that would possibly have meant scuttling his retirement for a match at the Bash, which I don't think anybody wanted, not even the man himself. What's wrong with a simple in-ring interview with Tony or JR which leads to nothing except the next match on the card? No confrontation, no trash talking, just a straight interview and that's all. Did they really need to further the Missy/Heyman stuff, which should have been over long ago?

• 2 years later...

I found Heyman's smashing of the phone over Hervey's head to be cathartic. In a sea of awful Dusty nonsense, we finally get a shining moment of heroism. From Paul E. And since J.R. and Tony are so shocked and appalled by the violence, there is a slow-mo replay. I liked this more. Probably going to Hell, but it's so worth it. And did it look to anyone else like Paul E. didn't take as much off of that shot as he could have? Also, pleasant.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-06-14-WCW-Clash of the Champions XV] Paul E. Dangerously and Jason Hervey