Pro Wrestling Only

IRS vs. Mike Rotunda vs. Michael VK Wallstreet

JerryvonKramer

I still feel guilty that i never did that Craig Pittman project.

There was a NC indy around 99 or so that headlined with Pittman v Demolition Axe if you wanted to tie projects together.

Duggan's best stuff in WCW was with Fidel Sierra.

I actively like the Pittman v Duggan match, and some of the Regal stuff is amusing (although you watch and just wish Regal was working someone else).

• 6 months later...

Also that match v. Somers is more than just okay.

Yeah, I just watched this. Very pleasantly surprised. Did Somers piss in Mike's Cheerios or something? Rotundo just seems pissed at him. More fire than I've ever seen out of the dude. He really stiffs the shit out of poor Douggie here.

I am in the middle with Rotunda....his Florida stuff is good for WRESTLING...and I like the IRS character and didnt mind him in the tag team with Dibiase as Money Inc...for that timeframe he was fine.

His TV Title loss to Sting is decent (and its the first match from Center Stage on WCW, the first not to be in the TechWood studios..if someone mentioned that already..sorry, didnt read page 1.) and I also enjoy his title win over Nikita Koloff in '88

BUT, the one thing that really REALLY bothers me about Rotunda is his sweating...that dude sweats like a motherfuker in his matches and when he's not in IRS gear, he looks like he has a hose on low and its going everyhwere...its disgusting...probably why WWF put him in the full gear, as when he came back to WWE in 1991, production values were better and that shit would be everywhere on camera....seriously, if you dont remember go watch his matches in just trunks...its nasty..the singlet helped, but not a ton....

I read the above post before I watched the following match and did not know notice him sweating profusely compared to Barry Windham in fact it looks like Shieky Baby is quite the sweaty one. Then again the video quality was not that good.

WWF World Tag Champs Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff w/"Classy" Freddie Blassie vs US Express (Mike Rotundo & Barry Windham) w/ Capt. Lou Albano

They would stick Albano with just any tag team whether he fit the demeanor of the tag team or not. Albano with the All-American boys is just weird.

Sheik/Rotundo do a good amateur sequence with Rotundo getting the better of Sheik. Sheik does a great begging off for both Windham & Rotundo and really makes them look good. It always takes me by surprise when Sheik busts out his somersault and misses it. I just never expect to see him do it. Volkoff comes in and gets his arm worked over with a series of quick tags. Volkoff hooks the ropes and Windham crashes and burns on a dropkick.

Volkoff is not as good as I was expecting. Sheik is hilarious as he attempts to put on one of the most awkward abdominal stretches given that Windham has like 8 inches on him. Between this and Zuhkov ab stretch, Volkoff matches are the place to go to see poorly executed ab stretches. Sheik hits his gutwrench for 2. WIndham is able to hit a vertical suplex to get the hot tag. Even Rotundo is inspired by this molten MSG crowd and is fired up to deliver some dropkicks. In the fracas, WIndham rams Sheik's head into the steel posts busting him wide open. The US Express realizing how useless Rotundo is actually has him give the hot tag to Windham (literally like a minute after the last hot tag), Windham starts unloading rights on the Sheik's cut. This is brilliant. Windham is playing face in peril and the hot tag in the same match how did Ricky Morton not think of that! :)

Windham hits a bulldog and Volkoff sensing the end is nigh makes the save. Rotundo jumps him and it devolves into a donnybrook and a double countout.

I liked this match a good deal. It was very energetic and moved along briskly. Windham and Rotundo played babyfaces really well and Shekik & Volkoff are such classic heels you could not go wrong. I would have enjoyed a little more work from Sheik & Volkoff who have impressed me in other matches. I did not think anyone stood out or anything stood out, but it is just good classic wrestling.

Watch his NWA stuff.....he sweats a TON..maybe its when he was a few years older...I dont know..

But I clealy remember how sweaty that dude was every time I watched him...its dripping off him in rest holds...and a lot....so much that I vividly remember it bothering the match to me.

• 3 months later...

Don't ask why or how, but this is my hypothetical 1-disc "Best of Mike Rotunda" comp.

1. US Express vs. Dream Team 08/10/1985 WWF MSG

2. Mike Rotunda vs. Doug Somers 04/28/1986 AWA

3. Mike Rotunda vs. Rick Steiner 12/26/1988 Starrcade NWA

4. The Varisty Club vs. The Steiner Brothers 07/23/1989 GAB NWA

5. Captain Mike Rotunda vs. Iron Sheik 07/071990 GAB NWA

6. Mike Rotunda & The Natural Disasters vs. The Big Boss Man & The Legion Of Doom 11/27/1991 Survivor Series WWF

7. Money Inc vs. Natural Disasters 10/13/1992 Challenge WWF

8. Money Inc vs. The Beverly Brothers 04/12/1993 RAW WWF

9. Money Inc vs. The Steiner Brothers 08/16/1993 SummerSlam Spectacular WWF

10. IRS vs. 123 Kid 08/30/1993 Summerslam

WWF EXTRAS:

- IRS decks Beefacke with a briefcase

- Tax tips with IRS #1

- Tax tips with IRS #2

- Tax tips with IRS #3

- IRS wins Battle Royale on RAW and then Ted pays him off

Are there any really obviously better Rotunda matches that I've left off? If so, what?