Pro Wrestling Only

John Tenta

goodhelmet

Natural Disasters v. The Beverly Brothers (Summerslam '92) This was very fun. Reminded me of how good Enos and Bloom are - they did much better in the heat section in terms of keeping the offense interesting than Money Inc. did. The pop for the Disasters win is massive, which indicates that even if the match structure isn't as good with them as faces, they were over as all hell.

I have just watched this and I agree with you that it was a fun match and easily one of the top 4 on the show. Maybe they were so over due to people in the UK liking fat men aka Big Daddy :D

Probably a lot of truth in that actually.

After reading this thread, I started to watch John Tenta matches. Started chronilogically (because I'm OCD like that) and going through his career for anything that looks intersting. Also, I've always been a fan of fat guy wrestlers and I don't remember how the Quaker was, because when I was 9 I didn't care about that. Tenta was freaking awesome going back. He had a real good match at MSG with Ron Garvin and a few good ones with Bossman. I'm about to hit the Snake Roberts feud, so I'm really looking forward to that and to the WCW and Japan runs. One thing that sucks, is that in the WWF, he didn't get many chances to have good matches. One Man Gang and other fat guys got to face good workers in matches and destroy them. Tenta mostly was in Bravo's corner or teaming with him. When he does get a match against Tito it goes about 6 minutes and then run ins start. Frustrating. He is really great though in being, maybe, the perfect fat man. His splash, leg drop and elbow drop are amazing. He flexes a lot, which I love. He always looks strong and tough and is not flying around, because he is a monster. One thing I want to consider is how he compares to Yokozuna. If Tenta came in late 1992 and put in Yoko's role, would he had done as well?

This sounds like a future Wrestler Snapshot!

Watched Tenta vs. Sting from Starrcade 1994 and it was a fun match before a crappy finish. Tenta looked solid and Sting was using the tree chopping strategy to get him off his feet. If it had a better finish, I would recommend it.

I have a feeling that most of Tenta's WCW run is better than remembered. It needs re-watching.

• 2 weeks later...

His match vs. Sting at Starrcade was really good. Tenta was bumping around well for Sting and did his best Vader impersonation.

bubba rogers vs sting is a better lite version of vader series. for a super heavyweight bubba bumps big, although he isn't the monster on offence.

• 1 year later...

Earthquake vs Big Bossman (11/18/90)

1. Standing scoop powerslam after catching Bossman on top rope.

2. Heenan's awesome slaps, and using the megaphone!

3. Sick heat segment from Tenta. Great work from him on top.

Very enjoyable match.

***1/2

I'm glad you liked it as much as Tim and I did. What about Bossman's punches though?

Watched Tenta vs. Sting from Starrcade 1994 and it was a fun match before a crappy finish. Tenta looked solid and Sting was using the tree chopping strategy to get him off his feet. If it had a better finish, I would recommend it.

I have a feeling that most of Tenta's WCW run is better than remembered. It needs re-watching.

I've been slowly working my way through 90s WCW on the Network and I'm up to winter/spring 95. It is not saying much because, well, look at his company, but in regards to the original Faces of Fear (Tenta, Beefcake, Sullivan) stable, Tenta is consistently the only guy who is entertaining/remotely good in any of their matches. Whether its his singles matches or the multi-mans, compared to Beefcake and Sullivan, Tenta is a wrestling god.

• 5 months later...

I like Tenta but I think I have him below both Bossman & Mark Henry... and I don't think either of those two make my list. I'm not sure. I really wanna find a spot for Bossman.

The Earthquake run was fun to me. I'll never forget the heat Earthquake had with my mom. I don't think she ever hated a pro-wrestler more than him. Watching her cringe & shriek when he'd put his big sweaty ass on someone was hilarious. One of my fondest wrestling memories growing up.

EDIT : Sorry, been going through all of the Nominees in the Nominees list to make sure I didn't have anyone that wasn't nominated yet. Didn't realize that was a link to a thread elsewhere!

Edited by Coffey

Has it ever occurred to anyone that Money Inc were considered so evil that they were used to turn first the Natural Disasters and then Jimmy Hart himself?

As the biggest Money Inc fan in the United Kingdom, I followed them very closely during 92-3 and remember registering shock several times at their title changes in the Apter mags.

As far as I know the Natural Disasters win was never telelvised, and neither was Money Inc's victory over LoD (which I still refuse to believe actually took place). And there were a couple of shot gun house show non-televised changes featuring the Steiners around the time of KoTR 93 as well.

You can find the Natural Disastes title win on the Grudges, Gripes and Grunts CHV, which was one of the super duper common ones when I was collecting, and could be picked up for pennies from eBay back in the day. I actually already had a copy from 92.

Did they televise the Disasters/Money Inc title change when Quake/Typhoon won the belts? I remember it on home video but dont remember it on weekly TV at all.

The match itself only ever aired on home video. The title change was announced in a Gene Okerlund update but I don't even recall footage airing until the home video release, not even on Prime Time.

• 4 weeks later...

oh the memories from the balls in the mouth finisher to him dropping that pipe bomb in Wcw" IM NOT THE SHARK, IM NOT A FISH, IM A MAN.." couple of years later he became Golga the cartman obsessed idiot

I was fond of him hospitalising Hogan but he should have been fed to the Warrior instead (matches would have been shit but could have drawn more hosue than the Rude matches)