Pro Wrestling Only

Mother Fucking Regal

goodhelmet

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure the Sun City part of Phil's review was a joking reference to the protest song by Steven Van Zandt. I haven't seen anything stating where that Regal match took place, but Tiger Dalibar Singh and Gama Singh drew several big houses in Durban, so if it's a match in South Africa where an Indian guy is the ethnic babyface, that's probably where it took place.

Are any of the Psicosis matches online? I think those go a long way in making the case for Regal as a top level worker. Yes, Psicosis was an excellent wrestler, was in his athletic prime, and was no slouch at working a mat-based match, but both were very unlike anyone either guy had ever worked with before. Still, they were completely in sync and went on to have a series of matches that are pretty solidly Nicho's best non-Rey matches in WCW.

The 12/16/96 Psicosis match may be the best Nitro match ever. I liked that Sting/DDP from 99 an awful lot, but other than that, I can't think of anything better. The crowd are shockingly hot for it too. I should randomly watch a bunch of Regal on TV for this thread. Searching for the Psic match found me a six minute Juvi match that I cannot pass up.

I'm pretty sure the Sun City part of Phil's review was a joking reference to the protest song by Steven Van Zandt. I haven't seen anything stating where that Regal match took place, but Tiger Dalibar Singh and Gama Singh drew several big houses in Durban, so if it's a match in South Africa where an Indian guy is the ethnic babyface, that's probably where it took place.

The uploader said it was from Sun City, but it could be from Durban. They ran shows in both places. I think we can give Phil a pass on not knowing the ethnic make-up of South Africa.

My take on Regal is that he's absolutely outstanding at the little things that add spice to a match. But he's not nearly as good at the big picture type stuff, so the whole tends to be less than the sum of its parts. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single Regal match that was really strong from a storytelling standpoint.

I have not seen much of Regal in WWE, but this is something I tend to agree with. He's so good at the mechanics and filling his matches with cool stuff not often seen with other US workers that it tends to hide or overshadow some of his shortcomings in other areas. I just saw the Arn match and while the work was good, the match felt somewhat disjointed. I think Regal was probably better suited for shorter 10-12 TV matches than 20+ minute main events because he seemed to struggle filling time while connecting different parts of a match.

I've just finished 1993, Regal's first year in the company, in my WCW ppv/Clash-watching, and already, though I'm admittedly biased as he is my second favourite wrestler, I think Regal is one of the best guys on the roster from an all-round perspective. A lot of it is presentation- the gimmick is great, the music is great, Sir William is great, I like that he's billed from the Tower of Blackpool (they should have kept the Royal Forest of Dean part too, though) and that his weight is in stones. Obviously, that stuff is less Regal being great, and WCW actually doing a great job in making someone seem different and interesting and like a big deal. In the ring, I'm really waiting for him to put it all together (again, just watching ppvs and Clashes, so not getting a full picture). He has sequences that are really good (some nifty mat stuff, a sudden turn of aggression), his facials/mannerisms are great (I love how, after a flurry of offence from his opponent, he'll back off in a daze, but still have his hand behind his back in his aristocratic manner), and his style makes him stand out from the pack, but often, especially in matches which are going the time limit, there are lulls in his work, and the tempo is altogether a bit off. I was especially disappointed in the two Steamboat matches, but I thought Steamer was pretty culpable in those too. The Bulldog draw suffered similarly. The matches seem to start with some entertaining mat stuff, then have a middle portion which feels a bit too much like killing time, before picking up for a fun closing couple of minutes. This turned into a more critical post than I wanted it to be. The Badd match from Clash 25 is probably his best of the year, because Badd brings a faster pace and sense of urgency that Regal can play off. Another standout moment from the year is him and Orndorff doing some respectful chain wrestling at Battlebowl, while their partners Steamboat and Shockmaster look on in disgust. Regal is a guy who always remembers who he is in a match, which I think is a really good quality to have. Now I'm just waffling.

I'll add more observations on Regal as I go on with my WCW viewing, and maybe post some match reviews too.

My take on Regal is that he's absolutely outstanding at the little things that add spice to a match. But he's not nearly as good at the big picture type stuff, so the whole tends to be less than the sum of its parts. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single Regal match that was really strong from a storytelling standpoint.

I have not seen much of Regal in WWE, but this is something I tend to agree with. He's so good at the mechanics and filling his matches with cool stuff not often seen with other US workers that it tends to hide or overshadow some of his shortcomings in other areas. I just saw the Arn match and while the work was good, the match felt somewhat disjointed. I think Regal was probably better suited for shorter 10-12 TV matches than 20+ minute main events because he seemed to struggle filling time while connecting different parts of a match.

Couldn't disagree more. Phil and I were never bored or not entertained by what these guys were doing for the entire 30 minutes. I think the Hash match went long as well in 1995 and I don't think there were any gaps that indicated Regal couldn't work long.

I'm not sure why Regal wasn't given more opportunities to go long. He could tell a story and be effective in shorter matches, but don't think he ever let things drag when going long as those little things you touched on were very effective in keeping things more than interesting when going long.

Couldn't disagree more. Phil and I were never bored or not entertained by what these guys were doing for the entire 30 minutes. I think the Hash match went long as well in 1995 and I don't think there were any gaps that indicated Regal couldn't work long.

I think that probably came out wrong due to my sentence structure. He doesn't have a problem filling time because he's very good at working compelling holds and strikes. But I think he does have problems connecting different parts of matches into a cohesive story. So I think he's a guy who benefited by his placement on the card in that he wasn't really asked to work long main event matches.

With that said, that Hash match is one of my favorite matches ever. But that's mostly due to the sheer brutality rather than any storytelling elements.

In the ring, I'm really waiting for him to put it all together (again, just watching ppvs and Clashes, so not getting a full picture). He has sequences that are really good (some nifty mat stuff, a sudden turn of aggression), his facials/mannerisms are great (I love how, after a flurry of offence from his opponent, he'll back off in a daze, but still have his hand behind his back in his aristocratic manner), and his style makes him stand out from the pack, but often, especially in matches which are going the time limit, there are lulls in his work, and the tempo is altogether a bit off.

Regal's work on the big shows was often disappointing. He was generally better at the TV tapings, but even then the reason the Larry Z match blew my socks off during the Smarkschoice Poll was because it was a legitimately great Regal match.

Here is Regals PPV matches 1993-95 with my opinions from the matches on memory:

vs. Erik Watts Beach Blast 1993 - Don't remember but wouldn't be expecting anything good going in so it would have to be pretty bad to be considered disappointing.

vs. Ricky Steamboat Fall Brawl 1993 - Maybe a tad disappointing based on memory but it has been a while

vs. Davey Boy Havoc 93 - Really like this match and think it either met or exceeded realistic expectations going in

w/ Steamboat vs. Shockmaster/Orndorff Battlebowl 93 - No recollection for this match

vs. Steamboat Starrcade 93 - Disappointing match, these guys didn't click really well

vs. Arn Superbrawl 94 - Great match. Wildly exceeding expectations with time they were given.

vs. Pillman Spring Stampede - Good match, met expectations

vs. Zbysko Slamboree - Very good match, exceeded expectations

vs. Badd Bash at the Beach - Good match, exceeded expectations

Vs. Badd Fall Brawl - Ok match, met expectations

w/ Eaton vs. Nasties GAB 95- Don't remember this one enough to comment.

Triangle match BATB 95 - ok match, met expectations

Really besides the Steamboat stuff do I not see anything that was glaringly below expectations.

Which is strange because Phil has already reviewed several legitimately great/epic matches for his REGAL OF THE DAY at Segunda Caida. The "Regal wasn't good at big matches" talking point isn't a valid one.

Well, it depends on what you define as "big matches."

No it doesn't. The talking point is as old as "Brody was a great brawle"r or "HBK was a first ballot Hall of Famer" etc.

If Regal doesn't do the things you want a wrestler to do in PPV matches or Main Event matches, then maybe he isn't the wrestler for you. I know some people that don't like his style of wrestling. They don't think he could sustain that style for more than 15 minutes. I have loved most of the 20+ minute Regal matches I have seen. I have detailed here and elsewhere why I feel that way.

No it doesn't.

Actually it clearly does, because there is a very reasonable argument that Regal has NEVER had a big match in the way the average fan and even many hardcore fans usually use that term.

The talking point is as old as "Brody was a great brawle"r or "HBK was a first ballot Hall of Famer" etc.

No it's not.

If Regal doesn't do the things you want a wrestler to do in PPV matches or Main Event matches, then maybe he isn't the wrestler for you. I know some people that don't like his style of wrestling. They don't think he could sustain that style for more than 15 minutes. I have loved most of the 20+ minute Regal matches I have seen. I have detailed here and elsewhere why I feel that way.

I think Regal could and at times did have great longer matches. I also think he was wildly underused probably because of the drug issue mentioned earlier. But when most people here use the term "big" matches I don't get the impression they mean it as a synonym for "long" matches.

My point actually wasn't an attack on Regal but rather booking. I don't believe Regal was really ever given that many chances for main event matches. He's a great wrestler. I have no qualms with his style at all. I just don't think he was ever given that many opportunities to work long. When he has, he's been great. The Arn match, the Hash matches, and the Christian matches. I wasn't clear when I previously posted. Essentially, I blame booking over the years for NOT giving Regal enough time in matches or placed in the main event scene to shine. I think his best match ever is against Larry Z on SN and that might be considered a long match.

Regal is awesome, years of overlooking sucks.

I always liked the Fall Brawl match with Steamboat. I always thought it took a lot elements of the Tully/Steamer match from Starcade 84 and then spun it with Regal doing different stuff to work the injured ribs than Blanchard. I'm also it seems one of the few who like their Starcade match. I don't think it's an amazing match. I would classify it as good though.