Pro Wrestling Only

ESPN's Grantland

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who needs Grantland when you have our own Childs cranking out pieces like this:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/nfl/bs-sp-aaron-maybin-nfl-artist-20151106-story.html

Nice work.

Fuck yeah! I need to find a way to incorporate "Public Struggle, Private Pain" into every conversation I have with Childs from now until forever.

Bill wrote a fantastic piece the day after the Celtics won the title in 2008. Felt like the culmination of not just the Celtics season/redemption but of his writing itself. That was 7 and a half years ago though

I always loved his Simmons: NBA Finals, Game 7 Live Chat:

sportsguy33: I no longer want to be here. Is this what hell is like?

:)

We might have talked about it earlier in the thread, but my guess is that:

* Shoemaker writes for exceptionally cheap money compared to other Grantland/ESPN writers

* he gets an above average number of clicks given he's one of the few writers on the topic with that level of exposure

So he probably has a high clicks/revenue vs cost ratio.

What he isn't is very prolific. But that might also drive up his cost. Feels like the wrestling writing is a side job, unless someone is dumb enough to pay him more than $50K a year for that level of content.

Dude lives in Park Slope, Brooklyn. If he's surviving on 50K a year there he's either Old Money or frugal to the bone.

Re: monetizing Grantland - I'd be curious to know how many listeners they had for their best podcasts. I only listened to Cheap Heat and don't recall them ever running ads. To put this into polarized perspective: the fee to be the exclusive sponsor for one episode of Serial's upcoming second season is 175K.

I didn't say he was making $50K. I said someone was stupid to pay him more than $50K for roughly 35-40 columns a year and near-weekly podcasts on Pro Wrestling that aren't being monetized well.

As far as monetizing, there was a report recently that Simmons on his new podcast ($5M a year) will make almost as much ad revenue revenue as the entire Grantland operation ($6M a year).

Given how poorly nearly everyone says the Grandland podcast were (and that revenue number certainly reflects it), it's kind of hard justifying throwing a large chunk of change at a guy who isn't generating revenue.

Could he? Like I wrote above, I think that Shoemaker gets high listens/clicks if it's cheap content. His the most high profile wrestling writer in the country. Doesn't mean a lot in the big picture, but wrestling fans do listen to podcasts.

I think he's an editor, isn't he, with the wrestling writing supplementing as a part-time gig? He doesn't even write that often.

http://www.penguin.com/author/david-shoemaker/231377

David Shoemaker has been writing about wrestling since 2009. He is a former book editor and is currently a book designer at Henry Holt and Company. Shoemaker lives in Brooklyn.

Like I said, I think his wrestling work is a side gig.

It's annoying how Richard Deitsch always plugs Shoemaker's work via Twitter. There's a lot of good content out there to choose from and one of the more prolific media writers out there picks Shoemaker as the one to single out.

I don't know why it bothers me so much -- Deitsch writes about meaningless topics like pregame shows and inside-baseball ESPN garbage -- but it does.

Listening to the first 20 minutes of Cheap Heat and comparing it to the first 20 minutes of the latest WOR podcast about the Flair angle is, uh, a contrast.

I've heard the WOR podcast, but not Cheap Heat. Curious, can you give more details?

Well, if you want to hear things along the lines of "anyone who's offended at this is just getting worked" and blaming the controversy on "outrage culture", I've got the podcast for you.

Shoemaker's reaction to Flair being upset was something along the lines of "I don't want to hear about that", like he's intentionally shutting his ears, because he doesn't want to choose favorites between Ric Flair and WWE or something. Not quoting verbatim, because frankly, I don't want to listen to that podcast again, but I'm not just taking stuff out of context to make it look bad.

I forget all of the details but ESPN just wasn't putting forth much of an effort to monetize a lot of the Grantland content. They used regular ESPN ad people selling to regular ESPN sponsors even though the site had a different audience, and they saw nothing in the podcasts so they didn't even really try to sell ads.

From the numbers that, say, Midroll gives out publicly, they likely could have at least gotten good supplemental money for the hosts.

Listening to the first 20 minutes of Cheap Heat and comparing it to the first 20 minutes of the latest WOR podcast about the Flair angle is, uh, a contrast.

I've heard the WOR podcast, but not Cheap Heat. Curious, can you give more details?

Well, if you want to hear things along the lines of "anyone who's offended at this is just getting worked" and blaming the controversy on "outrage culture", I've got the podcast for you.

Shoemaker's reaction to Flair being upset was something along the lines of "I don't want to hear about that", like he's intentionally shutting his ears, because he doesn't want to choose favorites between Ric Flair and WWE or something. Not quoting verbatim, because frankly, I don't want to listen to that podcast again, but I'm not just taking stuff out of context to make it look bad.

Ugh. Sounds bad. Thanks for the explanation.

It's annoying how Richard Deitsch always plugs Shoemaker's work via Twitter. There's a lot of good content out there to choose from and one of the more prolific media writers out there picks Shoemaker as the one to single out.

I don't know why it bothers me so much -- Deitsch writes about meaningless topics like pregame shows and inside-baseball ESPN garbage -- but it does.

Well, Deitsch is a New York media guy and Grantland lover who plays wrestling fan (but probably isn't really). So he's pretty much tailor-made for Shoemaker. I have a few media friends who fit that description and I just bite my tongue if Shoemaker comes up.