Pro Wrestling Only

ESPN's Grantland

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Childs says.

He's had a few pieces that were okay, but they don't stick with you (I can't remember them). But for the most part... it's pretty throw away.

I remain stunned that Dave, who has a track record with Simmons, didn't try for an MMA job at Grantland and try to hook someone else up as the weekly wrestling writer.

John

I actually think Grantland has hit a pretty good stride overall -- less pointless navel gazing than at the beginning. I'm a big fan of Zach Lowe, their NBA writer, who mixes advanced statistics, video and more traditional reporting in a really insightful way. Jonah Keri and Bill Barnwell are strong on MLB and NFL, respectively. Their movie and TV writers are solid. I've loved their oral histories.

Shoemaker is one of their weakest regular contributors. I agree that Dave wouldn't be a perfect fit stylistically, but he is a lot more readable when working with a real editor. The one MMA piece he did for Grantland was pretty good as I recall.

Keri, Lowe and Barnwell are fantastic, easily the best thing going there. I like Andy Greenwald too and Molly Lambert makes me laugh.

The decreased deadlines and workload as improved Simmons's writing as well, for the most part.

Shoemaker is obsessed with all the meta shit, as mentioned above, and it gets old for sure.

After reading CFC's comment, I was going to bring up Lowe... and was glad to see Childs and Bigelow beat me to it. A very good writer, is regular in producing content, breaks things down in ways that are easy to understand, will write both shorter and longer items, and has that section at the end of things he likes / doesn't like that gets across he's a NBA Fan in addition to be a writer / analyst. He also clearly has developed sources within the game in coaching staffs and front offices. Very good at what he does.

Barnwell was with Football Outsiders for 6+ years. I read of FO regularly, but folks whose opinions I respect on football say positive things about how FO has move writing and analysis on football far beyond the old hack days.

I don't know Jonah Keri... just don't follow baseball like I use to. But one gets the sense from the hiring of Lowe and Barnwell that Simmons was going to hire a similar type of person for baseball. He's a Prospectus guy, so that fits the bill.

I agree on Andy Greenwald. He writes about a lot of shows that I don't watch or care for... but he writes about so much television that he'll hit something in your wheelhouse, and you'll be blown away by how spot on it is. Anyone who watched cooking shows on TV over the years probably will get this:

Eat Bray Love: The corruption of Anthony Bourdain, the return of Emeril Lagasse, and the state of food television

That's just a fantastic piece that bounces all over the place... except it's totally focused on where it's going. I'm a long time watcher of this stuff, going back to Julia and the Galloping Gourmet in the 70s, all sorts of PBS stuff in the 80s, the dawn of Food TV in the 90s and the evolution of television FoodTainment (the food equiv of Vince's vision of Sports Entertainment)... and guys like Bourdain pulling it back from the depths with No Reservations. So that Greenwald piece hits so many marks that I really wish he'd write a book on the history/evolution of subject rather than doing recaps on stuff like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. :P

There are a heck of a lot of good writers over there. There are some guys being hip... but even a lot of them can toss out wickedly entertaining shit. The one of TV Opening Credit Fonts of the 90s was fantastic and funny.

John

After reading CFC's comment, I was going to bring up Lowe... and was glad to see Childs and Bigelow beat me to it. A very good writer, is regular in producing content, breaks things down in ways that are easy to understand, will write both shorter and longer items, and has that section at the end of things he likes / doesn't like that gets across he's a NBA Fan in addition to be a writer / analyst. He also clearly has developed sources within the game in coaching staffs and front offices. Very good at what he does.

Barnwell was with Football Outsiders for 6+ years. I read of FO regularly, but folks whose opinions I respect on football say positive things about how FO has move writing and analysis on football far beyond the old hack days.

I don't know Jonah Keri... just don't follow baseball like I use to. But one gets the sense from the hiring of Lowe and Barnwell that Simmons was going to hire a similar type of person for baseball. He's a Prospectus guy, so that fits the bill.

I agree on Andy Greenwald. He writes about a lot of shows that I don't watch or care for... but he writes about so much television that he'll hit something in your wheelhouse, and you'll be blown away by how spot on it is. Anyone who watched cooking shows on TV over the years probably will get this:

Eat Bray Love: The corruption of Anthony Bourdain, the return of Emeril Lagasse, and the state of food television

That's just a fantastic piece that bounces all over the place... except it's totally focused on where it's going. I'm a long time watcher of this stuff, going back to Julia and the Galloping Gourmet in the 70s, all sorts of PBS stuff in the 80s, the dawn of Food TV in the 90s and the evolution of television FoodTainment (the food equiv of Vince's vision of Sports Entertainment)... and guys like Bourdain pulling it back from the depths with No Reservations. So that Greenwald piece hits so many marks that I really wish he'd write a book on the history/evolution of subject rather than doing recaps on stuff like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. :P

There are a heck of a lot of good writers over there. There are some guys being hip... but even a lot of them can toss out wickedly entertaining shit. The one of TV Opening Credit Fonts of the 90s was fantastic and funny.

John

Yeah, my comments were a little unfair. Lowe is great. So is Keri. Grantland has gotten better since it launched. I guess with Lowe and Keri, I've been reading them for so long, I didn't even think about it when they went to Grantland. They're still Zach Lowe and Jonah Keri to me, not Grantland writers (which is unfair to Grantland).

Bill Barnwell is a snarky wanna-be sabermatician. Barnwell (and Aaron Schatz, who remains at Football Outsiders) try so hard to be relevant like the baseball stats guys, but they're nowhere close. They're like your little brother, constantly tugging on your arm and saying, "Hey, pay attention to me!" Andvanced analytics and metrics has a place in football, but not to the extent that Barnwell and Schatz try to make you think it does. Instead of evolving and recognizing this, they've decided to turn into pompous assholes.

Mike Tanier is fantastic. One of the best football writers (not reporters) going today.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Read his Grantland Summerslam preview and the podcast and man, this guy just loves to overcomplicate things with "big words". It was funny how in the podcast he started doing the same weird analogies he does in his pieces and after both guests responded with silence the Masked Man just said "never mind" or something like that :lol:

Yeah, my comments were a little unfair. Lowe is great. So is Keri. Grantland has gotten better since it launched. I guess with Lowe and Keri, I've been reading them for so long, I didn't even think about it when they went to Grantland. They're still Zach Lowe and Jonah Keri to me, not Grantland writers (which is unfair to Grantland).

Bill Barnwell is a snarky wanna-be sabermatician. Barnwell (and Aaron Schatz, who remains at Football Outsiders) try so hard to be relevant like the baseball stats guys, but they're nowhere close. They're like your little brother, constantly tugging on your arm and saying, "Hey, pay attention to me!" Andvanced analytics and metrics has a place in football, but not to the extent that Barnwell and Schatz try to make you think it does. Instead of evolving and recognizing this, they've decided to turn into pompous assholes.

Mike Tanier is fantastic. One of the best football writers (not reporters) going today.

Schatz is much, much better than Barnwell at couching his arguments in the limits of football stats. Barnwell comes off as full of himself.